Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dodyskin yorkshire - 07/20/02 10:56 PM
i went to the riverside festival in Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire ( a few towns over from Friendly) and i heard some classic turns of phrase. just googled owt for nowt (we say that round my way too)and found this which you lot might find interesting
http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/yorkshireday/phrases.html

Posted By: wwh Re: yorkshire - 07/20/02 11:44 PM
Dear dodyskin: for some reason I got "page could not be found". But I edited out last
part of URL, and then found the phrase page. Over half of them I have heard in US.

I copied URL:http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/yorkshireday/phrases.htm This one worked

Posted By: Jackie Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 02:24 AM
Dody, this is great! Thank you. And thank you, Dr. Bill the clever, for figuring out how to actually get to the link. I love gobslotch – greedy person. Wonder if a gobslotch would eat up all the lobscouse!I have heard mash the tea, where I would say steep the tea.('El-lo, Love)
One thing I don't understand: bahn – going, as in ‘Weer ta bahn?’ – where are you going? Bahn sounds like been; so why is bahn indicative of the future?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 09:17 AM
So far as I'm aware (not being a Yorkshire Tyke) the Yorks for "Been" would be "bin" e.g., "Whar's tha bin?"

"Bahn", I'd be prepared to take a small bet, is derived from the Scandinavian. Unfortunately, I only have my Danish dictionary to hand, which is rather different from the original Norwegian (but very close to modern Norske)

However, from that one I find that the word "bane" (pronounced 'bahn-er") means a path, way or track (including a railway track!) - this is fairly apposite to questions about which road you've been travelling on.

Of course, I give no guarantee that I'm correct - this is purely hypothesis. No doubt I will be corrested if I'm wring

(what a lovely link, dody - thanks!)

Posted By: nancyk Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 03:19 PM
I got "page could not be displayed" for both links and any variation I tried on my own. WIll try again later - any other suggestions?

Posted By: wwh Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 03:50 PM
Dear nancyk: If I do edit,copy,,,,edit,paste of dodyskin's URL into Location box and the carefully delete just
the last letter, it works. If I delete every thing after the "/" before phrases, I get a page
with "Phrase book" in upper right. Experiment with it.

Posted By: wow Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 05:59 PM
Lovely. Thank you.
And did you get to eat any lovely Yorkshire Pudding?

Posted By: solrep Re: yorkshire - 07/21/02 06:40 PM
weer ta bahn -- bound, as in where art thou bound fair jackie?

Carpe whatever
Posted By: Jackie Advertising be damned - 07/21/02 07:41 PM
Solrep, to be honest, I can't tell for sure if your website is a commercial one, but at the moment, I don't care; this is the funniest thing I've seen for a long time (heads up, cat haters!):
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/Darth.html

Posted By: solrep Re: Advertising be damned - 07/21/02 10:03 PM

Commercial Jackie?
niver -- well mebbe
Thal ata av a good look ta fahnd owt to buy, b' its theer sumer.

(I've never tried writing in yorkshire dialect before, although I can still just about manage to speak it.

Carpe whatever
Posted By: FishonaBike Feline groovy - 07/22/02 10:36 AM
this is the funniest thing I've seen for a long time

Brilliant, solrep. What always gets me about cats and gardens (and to be honest I've slightly more time for the former than the latter, BUT..) is the way the cats will:

(a) Always pick the spot you've just planted something special [sieved earth - luvverly]

(b) Never ever bury their doings properly, even after spending loads of time pawing the earth around. I mean, even dogs do a better job.

Much as I love cats, I'm convinced they're just out to wind humans up. And, like with kids, any attention is good attention, eh?

© Wordsmith.org