Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh Forbidden in stores - 05/23/02 01:49 AM
Nelipot: someone who is walking without shoes.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/23/02 02:38 AM
Ohhhhhh! I have second middle name now!

Posted By: dxb Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 01:36 PM
The posting on the shocking shoeless shopper led me to think about “ped~” words, and to look at the derivation of the word “pediment”. It had always been in the back of my mind as an oddity, having no obvious connection with feet or any of the other “ped~” beginnings, but I had not looked it up. I came up with the expected definitions:

\Ped"i*ment\, n. [L. pes, pedis, a foot. See Foot.] (Arch.) Originally, in classical architecture, the triangular space forming the gable of a simple roof; hence, a similar form used as a decoration over porticoes, doors, windows, etc.; also, a rounded or broken frontal having a similar position and use.
Geology. A broad, gently sloping rock surface at the base of a steeper slope, often covered with alluvium, formed primarily by erosion.

Still, why the foot connection when it seemed to describe something placed in a superior position? Then I noticed a secondary note:

Alteration (influenced by Latin pes, ped-, foot), of earlier perement, probably alteration of pyramid.

So it seems that the term changed from pyramid to perement to pediment through a misassociation (is that a word? It should be), and the connection with feet is accidental. I suspect this interesting type of transition is not uncommon, is anyone aware of other well known examples ?

dxb

Posted By: wwh Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 01:45 PM
Thanks, dxb

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 02:02 PM
pediment is marked as a 'corruption' by OED. I'm going to see if I can find other examples.

corruption - 9. Change of language, a text, word, etc. from its correct or original condition to one of incorrectness, deterioration, etc.

b. A concrete instance of such alteration.

(there are 683 hits on corruption in OED etymologies)
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 02:06 PM
[nelipot]nelipot

Well, I'd say we have a lot of nelipotic people walking on our beaches!

Posted By: SilkMuse Post deleted by SilkMuse - 05/24/02 05:17 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 05:37 PM
408. Yoko du nelipot du kagi du Dakel Diwata’
Tasaday. 409. Yoko du nelipot du kagi Kakay
ta Mapoko’ diya’ Tasaday.
408. Don’t ever forget the words of Big Master
of the Tasaday. 409. Don’t ever forget the
words of our Brother Short-One in Tasaday.

Posted By: wwh Re: Forbidden in stores - 05/24/02 05:44 PM
A champion Chow:Can Ch. LOHAN CANQUE NELIPOT (D)

© Wordsmith.org