Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm (pre)formatting poetry - 04/13/02 01:22 PM
oh, the anguish I suffer'd (too brainey?)
o'er information or miscellany..

most of the time text is formatted based on tags used to mark up that text. any extra whitespace (spaces, tabs, returns) that you put in your text (or copy and paste) are stripped out by the browser.

the exception to this rule is use of the preformatted text tag <pre>. any whitespace that you put into text surrounded by the <pre> and </pre> tags is retained in the final output. special note: use spaces, not tabs; different browsers assign different space values to tabs!

the catch is that preformatted text is usually displayed in a monospaced font such as Courier, so if you copy and paste something that's in a different kind of font you may not get what you want when various browsers display it.

if you use preformatting at all you should look at the results not only with your usual browser, but with another as well; e.g., try both IE and Netscape.

NOTE: for markup, substitute []s for <>s

()
Posted By: slithy toves Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/13/02 01:44 PM
Thanks for the tip, tsuwm. I'll play with it and see what happens.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/14/02 02:04 AM

Thanks, Mike!  

Your Happy Epeolatrist!

Posted By: milum Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/14/02 12:17 PM

WHO
IS
MIKE?

thanks, tsuwm.
O'yeah. I almost forgot...> () peace in our time

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/15/02 02:40 AM
any whitespace that you put into text surrounded by the <pre> and </pre> tags is retained in the final output.

ungh...I tried this and it didn't work. I put the letters "pre" in square brackets, then put in a few spaces, then the usual closing (square bracket, slash, pre, close bracket) and IT DIDN'T WORK.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/15/02 02:44 AM
from what you've posted, I can't imagine...

(what did you put after that?)

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/15/02 02:54 AM
(what did you put after that?)

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!

I put what I previously wrote (square bracket rigamarole) and then I put "HOORAY" (thinking it would have worked), and then I did a coupla other lines with indents (as I thought) - but when it came to the post preview, no indents showed up at all, at all.

I will try again here:

HOORAY!

and try another way, here:

HOORAY!

hmmm....

AHA! just did a preview and discovered that you include the text you wish to be indented, in the space enclosed by code.

'kay, got it now:

HOORAY!

this board is the greatest. 

Posted By: slithy toves Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/16/02 07:01 PM
I take it that tiny print is Courier. So that must mean you'd have to pre-format every line and live with the tiny print; otherwise you'd end up with two different fonts. Or am I still missing something?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/16/02 07:10 PM
again, it seems that too much depends on how the browser responds to worry too much over the exact output. either preformat if spacing is paramount, or stick with the known, consistent font output if not.
with HTML you have much more control, but with this "markup" I don't think there's much more you can do.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/16/02 08:08 PM
Yes, it seems that with when I use the pre- command here to format an ongoing work, it changes the font and quadruples the spacing between the formatted sections and the others (sigh).

Your Happy Epeolatrist!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: (pre)formatting poetry - 04/16/02 11:08 PM
<pre>o.k. just trying it out.  
Ooops I forgot what I'm supposed to put
before my second pre, lets try </pre>

Pssssh, that didn't work one pishnotte...as she walks away in disgust at her utter unknowledge of anything remotely resembling computer savvy.

EDIT:
HA! hooora - as she dances a little Canadian jig cause she finally got it - merci tsuwm

© Wordsmith.org