Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Google Bombs and other search esoterica - 04/01/02 05:47 PM
How do search engines work?

I heard an interview today with the guy who runs this site, and thought it fascinating. Specifically, he was discussing "Google Bombs" (the act of hitting a site again and again to move it up in the hierarchy):

http://www.searchenginewatch.com/

Posted By: of troy Re: Google Bombs and other search esoterica - 04/01/02 08:19 PM
that is a hard question to answer-- since different engines use different criteria..

This site (awad) is not a good choice.. but if you open Anna's link, and then go to View--> Source (sorry, AOL users, but you can't) you will see the actual HTML code used to create the web page (Anu uses a java script--so what i want to show you isn't immediately available)

In the source you'll see this-- I have added the color for emphsis
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<meta http-equiv="PICS-Label" content='(PICS-
1.1 "http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html" l gen true
comment "RSACi North America Server" "danny@calafia.com"
for "http://searchenginewatch.com/" on "1997.07.27T10:07-
0800" r (n 0 s 0 v 0 l 1))'>
<meta name="description" content="Search Engine Watch
is the authoritative guide to searching at Internet search
engines and search engine registration and ranking issues.
Learn to submit URLs, use HTML meta tags and boost
placement.">

<meta name="keywords" content="listings search
engine watch web site, danny sullivan editor internet.com
using meta tags improving placement, how to submit urls
tomajor internet search engines webmaster's guide,
rankings search engine registration tips for searching
better reviews, tutorials technology report free newsletter,
news articles placement engine submission online help
www.searchenginewatch.com">

<title>Search Engine Watch: Tips About Internet Search
Engines & Search Engine Submission</title>
<base target="_top">

the blue and green are meta name field. (MS Front Page users, beware! front page puts "Front Page" in as a meta name. )learning to edit meta name fields can increase your hits 1000 fold.

some search engings use these fields.. other search engings (google notable) use Links -- how many pages link to your page, how many other sites does this site link to? and so on..

and no search engine only uses one standard.. most are mixed..

and finally, some companies pay a premium (to google say) and this payment pushes them up the list -- evey use the google "I'm feeling lucky button"? a company can pay for that spot.. each key word cost something..

OAL "keywords" cost $$$$$$$ of dollars!

Helen, thanks! (But that was sort of a rhetorical question). The site I refer to explains how different search engines, such as google, work, in great detail. I found it to be quite interesting. As I did your overview. Is google your favorite?

I understand IBM is working on an engine that would employ fuzzy logic. Anybody know anything about this?

(yo, Helen, when are you gonna answer my E-mail?)

Posted By: TEd Remington engine that would employ fuzzy logic - 04/01/02 09:22 PM
Ask the Kiwis who are discussing engine vs. motor.

TEd ties THREE threads together

I understand IBM is working on an engine that would employ fuzzy logic. Anybody know anything about this?

Yes, they're having their marketing department design it.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic http://www.teoma.com/ - 04/01/02 09:25 PM
http://www.teoma.com/

Here's a new search engine that experts say *may give google a run for its money. Apparently what this one has in its favor is it helps you narrow your search much more efficiently. I haven't tried it yet.

Its founders say teoma is a Gaelic word for expert. But which Gaelic?

TEd ties THREE threads together

Yikes!©

Posted By: TEd Remington How do search engines work - 04/03/02 05:21 PM
It's right here! I laughed until I set off the fire alarms!

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

Posted By: Jackie Re: How do search engines work - 04/04/02 03:24 AM
Oh, Ted! I'd reply in Pidgin, but I don't know how! Thanks for that link!

Posted By: hev Re: How do search engines work - 04/04/02 03:39 AM
I'd reply in Pidgin, but I don't know how!

Well, apart from the obvious, Coo Coo, you could always say:

Dispela sumting em i sumting namba wan tru! Em nau! Em tasol.
This is excellent! I agree. That's all.

Hev
Posted By: Jackie Re: How do search engines work - 04/04/02 03:08 PM
Well, apart from the obvious, Coo Coo, you could always ...
Hey-- R U callin' me coo coo?? Well...you're right! (She said goofily.)
Thank you for the translation, Sweetie.

Posted By: moss Re: Google Bombs and other search esoterica - 04/05/02 11:55 PM
Anyone know anything about fuzzy logic?
P.S. When is Helen going to answer my email?
You're fangs are dripping with subtlety, dear ASp.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic moss - 04/06/02 01:13 AM
It behooves you to stay out of other peoples' business. Helen and I have spoken, meanwhile. If that's any of your concern.
And it's "your," not "you're."
Who are you, anyway?

Posted By: Keiva Re: business - 04/06/02 02:02 AM
ASp, is this really necessary? or wise? or appropriate?

moss, don't let it get you down, OK?

Posted By: moss Re: moss - 04/06/02 10:23 AM
You're fangs
I stand corrected, dear ASp. Your fangs are dripping.

Posted By: musick Monkey - 04/06/02 11:04 PM
ASp, is this really necessary? or wise? or appropriate?

moss, don't let it get you down, OK?

Who are you to question what is necessary, wise or appropriate?

moss, good to see you posting, again.

Who are you to question what is necessary, wise or appropriate?

I am no less qualified than you, sir, and a good deal more restrained. [and you subject-line is childish]

The person of whom I spoke had no reticience to critique moss. Do you claim that only certain persons are allowed to critique? Sorry, 'zick, that's a bias I can't buy.

Posted By: musick Monkey see, monkey do. - 04/07/02 12:04 AM
...and a good deal more restrained...

Nope. Hence your comment:[and you subject-line is childish]

Pointing out that you made a typo would be childish. My subject line was as direct as "business" was, for different reasons, of course.

There is no reason for you to come to the *aid of "moss". My words to you were just as foolish as yours to "AnnaS"...

... and I see you lost your *sense of humor, again.

EDIT - Keiva, just slow down a bit, and stop editing your posts so we can discuss the use of our words in context...

Since we can save space I'll answer. AnnaS' comment, appropriate or not, does not require any answer except that from "moss".
Posted By: Angel Re: Easy boys - 04/07/02 12:14 AM
moss replied: I stand corrected, dear ASp. Your fangs are dripping.

musick says: Since we can save space I'll answer. AnnaS' comment, appropriate or not, does not require any answer except that from "moss".

I believe moss answered...let it rest!

Posted By: Keiva Re: "Monkey see, monkey do." - 04/07/02 12:28 AM
AnnaS' comment, appropriate or not, does not require any answer except that from "moss".

Whether or not that would be true in the abstract, you will note that my comment was made at a time when there was none from moss.

For the rest, I must say admit that I have difficulty comprehending you.
[edit: but I am pleased that you appear to be taking a more narrow position than earlier.]
Posted By: musick Re: Easy boys - 04/07/02 12:35 AM
Angel, I (somehow) picked up your original title to your post, I'm glad you chose the other one, cause this one would have been fanning flames that just weren't there. You just did to us what I was disussing with Keiva about... wonderful stuff!

Let it rest? Is that an order? Sorry, Mom! I moved out of the house long time ago for this very reason!Nice redirect, though!

Now, let's all focus closely on the words we use.... go!

[edit]In hindsight, the timing does make a slight difference, but not to my specific point. I hope the above post to Angel clarifies a little, the rest is context.

(ps) See how confusing it is when someone steps in the middle where there is no specific need, as is editing your post while someone else is answering you when your not looking. I'll bet your answering this right now while I'm editing it...)

Second edit: Angel, I see this is actually ® the second title, where the first was just "RE: Monkey see, monkey do". This clears it all up..[ROTFLMAO]

Posted By: musick Monkey see, monkey do do... - 04/07/02 12:51 AM
but I am pleased that you appear to be taking a more narrow position than earlier.]

Didn't you notice how suprisingly similar my post was to the quote of your post?

(ps. I must depart (physically from this computer) but will look in some time in the morrow. (just so you don't think I'm ignoring whatever it is I'm gonna miss tonight).... later.

Posted By: Keiva Re: [edited] good idea - 04/07/02 12:56 AM
I must depart (physically from this computer) but will look in some time in the morrow.
OK; me too.

Posted By: Faldage Step right up folks! For just one thin dime - 04/07/02 01:08 AM
That's right folks, just the tenth part of a dollar! Get you're tickets here for the mud rassle of the century, now in progress. Women and children under 13 not admitted Get away from me boy, you bother me

Get away from me boy, you bother me
Dear Faldarth. May I call you Faldarth as your half-hidden postcript gives hint of your dark side?

Anyone who boasts that he is "attempting to unsuccessfully understand the universe", as you do in your Bio, cannot hope to understand people who are struggling to succeed in that enterprise.

We read that you are "fantastically lucky to have discovered Anna Strophobic". We, on the other hand, would have been luckier if you had learned more from her. The entire exchange between Musick and Keiva, in which you have intruded yourself, arose because your beloved ASp bared her ASp at Moss for intruding in her private affairs (which she chose to publish, somewhat incongruously, in this thread).

plutarch, I share some of the concerns you mention but on one point, in fairness to faldage, I must say that the white part of his post was an inside joke between him and me. It's a line from W.C. Fields -- a passion he and I share.

Posted By: musick It takes two... - 04/07/02 07:58 PM
...The entire exchange between Musick and Keiva...arose because your beloved ASp...

As long as clarification is in *order (even though not in the *right order), I firmly believe that the egg came before the chicken.

I'll twist this into a real *usage post, yet!