Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Booth the Mummy - 02/19/02 05:39 PM
http://www.historybuff.com/library/refmummy.html

Click on the link beneath the picture for the story.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Booth the Mummy - 02/19/02 07:59 PM
Sounds like that mummy had a fuller life after death than most people have before they meet their quietus!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Booth the Mummy - 02/19/02 11:40 PM
You'd think someone would have thought of D.N.A. testing by now. Wait, I think it may not be D.N.A. It is something that is passed down on the maternal side of the family. Ugh, I can't remember the name. Docs, help???? I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. I know they tested the remains of Jesse James for that same 'maternal pattern' thing. I'm sure they could do it for Booth.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Booth the Mummy - 02/19/02 11:49 PM
DNA testing might not be possible because either (1) there is no viable DNA available in the mummy (teeth are the best place to find DNA in such an aged corpse) or (2) there is no DNA against which to test it, either through a known sample of JWB or known descendants of JWB.

You are probably thinking of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA).

Posted By: of troy Re: Booth the Mummy - 02/19/02 11:52 PM
mitocondria DNA--mitocondria are part of cell that have their own dna. only a woman's (mothers) mitocondria are passed down.

trouble is, i don't think there is that much difference- from one generation to the next.

its interesting to look as someone like the "cheddar man" a mummified bog man, and learn that 25% of the people in Cheddar share the same mitocondria dna-- 1500+ years after he died, but its not completely reliable for close relation as i recall.

booth came from a famous acting family, his father and his brother were well known. i suspect there are some relations about, and enough make an educated guess. (unless of course, he was an paternal event (isn't that the term?))

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Booth the Mummy - 02/20/02 01:48 AM
DNA testing

From researching other papers on this matter I know that the last known location of the mummy on display was reported to be in New Hope, PA, circa 1975. Many believe the last owners still have it hidden somewhere in that vicinity because they are afraid the government will confiscate it for DNA testing. (they're probably right)

Also, other articles arrive at the conlusion that both gentlemen named were actually successive aliases of John Wilkes Booth, and that the mummy is, indeed, the actor's remains.

© Wordsmith.org