Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Usages that send us screaming - 02/17/02 11:00 PM
Why would anyone be so bothered by a usage that is different against one's own that it would set one's teeth on edge, cause one to shudder or any of various other reactions I've seen described on this and other language forums?

Posted By: Keiva Re: Usages that "send us screaming" - 02/17/02 11:03 PM
Even allowing for hyperbole in the claims of "shudder" or "teeth on edge", those claims do indeed seem jest a titch histrionic.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/17/02 11:10 PM
I think it might have to do with how one is educated Faldage.

The aitch/haitch thread is a good example. If you are taught that saying haitch (by your parents, teachers, etc) is wrong, you believe it. When you then hear the word pronounce incorrectly (as per your educators) it doesn't sound right in your ears and is grating.

It may also be that whole "fear of the unknown" thing of your clan ('s way of speaking) versus my clan ('s way of speaking).

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/17/02 11:15 PM
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/17/02 11:44 PM
>usages that send me screaming

usages......arrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!

Personally, I prefer to use use.

You're right though, I think it is all in the ear/hearing.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 01:00 AM
usages......arrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!

No problems with different against, belM?

And M-W on line has as its most applicable definition of use: habitual or customary usage.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 02:10 AM
Ah, but don't get me wrong, I'm not saying usage is incorrect, it is just not the word I was taught, so when I hear it - grate grate grate against my ear it goes.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 02:48 AM
unused-to usages

Oh, I think I seen one around here once.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 11:08 AM
all in the ear/hearing

grate grate grate against my ear it goes

But if it's not wrong, why does it provoke such strong reactions? If you were taught that you look good in a red sweater and you suddenly start seeing people wearing blue sweaters (assuming you're not a Blood) I hope you don't get all freaky. What is it about words that sets y'all off?

Posted By: milum Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 11:40 AM
But if it's not wrong, why does it provoke such strong reactions? If you were taught that you look good in a red sweater and you suddenly start seeing people wearing blue sweaters (assuming you're not a Blood) I hope you don't get all freaky. What is it about words that sets y'all off?

Do you tease Dear Fadage? Words do more than transfer printed information. They identify and reinforce membership in in-groups. Whether L.A. street gang or Boston Brahmin, the hard information content may be nil, but how it is said is the message. We all do this don't we dear Faldage.

Posted By: Bean Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/18/02 02:20 PM
What is it about words that sets y'all off?

For me, it's not just words. Some songs do that too. I have to turn the radio/TV off when they come on. No real reason. My husband finds it quite frustrating - I sometimes suddenly snap, and ask him to "Turn that off or I'll leave the room." It's almost a physical reaction.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/18/02 07:46 PM
Posted By: hev Re: Red and blue sweaters - 02/19/02 03:55 AM

I suspect that you've come remarkably close to identifying it within what you've stated here, Faldage.

Language - in terms of being both spoken and heard - is like a comfortable pair of shoes. When you are wearing your most comfortable jogging / walking shoes there are no screams of pain, or complaint about what you can and cannot do in those shoes. However, go out and buy a new pair of stilettos, put them on and try them out for a while and speaking from experience there will be pain, blisters, sore muscles and a lot of complaints. You might adjust to the stilettos after a while, but may never quite be as comfortable in them as you were in your other shoes.

Does this explain why some people can't cope with variances in language? It's just a theory, but generally speaking I find, people don't cope well with change, and when they are faced with it, take time to adjust. Some people can ignore the variances. Why? Maybe their rules weren't as rigid when they were learning, maybe they were taught to look for meaning rather than "correct" usage.

OK, there's my theory. And if the stiletto fits... wear it with pride!

Hev
Posted By: stales Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/19/02 06:45 AM
Bean and Max - can I join the club please?

[preparing to dodge various thrown objects] I cannot abide the moanings of Steely Dan ("The Greatest Guitar Band In The World" - yeah right - where are they now? - on second thoughts, I don't care!), Boz "2-Note" Scaggs (in his early days especially) and......wait for it.....Van Morrison!!! (Well, his singing anyway - he does turn out some good lyric)

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm probably the only guy on the planet who thinks this way about VM. NEVER trust anybody that sings with their eyes shut. They're the sort of self indulgent b's that believe their own BS.

Ah well - it's good to be another thread on the rich tapestry of life! Thanks for your time.

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/19/02 08:24 AM
Posted By: stales Re: Overthinking it - 02/19/02 08:51 AM
> the uglier they sound, the more intense my dislike of them

Max - to my ear at least, German is a harsh language. Do you dislike it for the same reasons?

Just wondering.

stales

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/19/02 09:38 AM
Posted By: Rubrick Eyes Wide Shut - 02/19/02 10:13 AM
I'm resigned to the fact that I'm probably the only guy on the planet who thinks this way about VM. NEVER trust anybody that sings with their eyes shut. They're the sort of self indulgent b's that believe their own BS.

Well-known fact that Irish people sing with their eyes shut. It's a Celtic thang! [guilty as charged emoticon]

But I agree with you about Van. He was good back with Them (Gloria, Baby Please don't go - Great guitar riff!!). Gone a bit South since his middle-age.

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Overthinking it - 02/19/02 10:19 AM
I hate ugly words, end of story. That's why I hate prioritise, pro-active, fuck, haitch, and any number of others.

They're three of my favourite words, Max! . I try to use them at least once a day but I will try to change my ugly ways. [Taking-the-piss and not to be taken seriously emoticon]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Eyes Wide Shut - 02/19/02 02:47 PM
Gone a bit South[E.A.] since his middle-age.

Where? The South shall rise again!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Overthinking it - 02/19/02 03:40 PM
My definition of ugly is subjective, of course
Hear, hear, Max! For me, it is contextural as well as subjective - and ugly word spoken in the "correct" place is acceptable, and not too grating whereas the same word spoken elsewhere gives me an unpleasant feeling. But it is fine by me if ither people don't go along with this.

So, you-all can say "haitch" and I'll just be "grate"ful

Posted By: Rubrick South? - 02/19/02 05:06 PM
Or should that be West?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: South? - 02/19/02 05:50 PM

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/19/02 08:09 PM
Why would anyone be so bothered by a usage that is different against one's own
that it would set one's teeth on edge, cause one to shudder or any of various other
reactions I've seen described on this and other language forums?

your right; its a mute point, but I really do get flustrated and want to go screaming into the night when folks mitigate against correct usage, irregardless. I can't reiterate this enough, ect.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen . - 02/19/02 11:20 PM
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Usages that send us screaming - 02/20/02 03:24 PM
your right; its a mute point, but I really do get flustrated and want to go screaming into the night when folks mitigate against correct usage, irregardless. I can't reiterate this enough, ect.

A fine correction of epitaphs, if I may venture to say so - and ones with what I totally conquer.