Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm OED Online - 12/31/01 03:41 PM
this is by way of being a brag of sorts, I suppose, but I hope that it proves to be of some use to us here: I have just set up access to OED Online from the Minneapolis Library through a proxy server. I now have access to the updates to OED through June, 2001. for instance:

emoticon - A representation of a facial expression formed by a short sequence of keyboard characters (usually to be viewed sideways) and used in electronic mail, etc., to convey the sender's feelings or intended tone.
Examples are the sequences :-) and :-( representing a smile and a frown respectively.

1990 N.Y. Times 28 Jan. I. 39/4 Emoticon typographical device used to indicate tone or emotion in a posting. 1994 Observer 13 Feb. (Life section) 8/3 Hence the development of ‘netiquette’, essentially on-line codes of behaviour, and ‘emoticons’ or ‘smileys’, little text ideograms which are used to signal sense (e.g. :-) to show good intentions, ;-) a wink to indicate irony). 1997 Vancouver Sun 29 Jan. D13/3 Mitchell and Murphy ask their clients to convey their emotions within square brackets rather than using the normal e-mail emoticons. 2001 Guardian(Electronic ed.) 24 Feb., Imagine the horrors of being poised over your mobile phone and suddenly forgetting the necessary emoticon.

note the use of the electronic ed. of the Guardian for the last citation!
:-D

Posted By: Jackie Re: OED Online - 12/31/01 06:43 PM
And are you keeping this lovely (congratulations) access all to yourself? Do you take requests?

Posted By: musick Re: OED Online - 01/03/02 05:59 PM
...a wink to indicate irony...

Given the *discussions we have had here about the intention and/or meaning of "irony", I may never use it again.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: OED Online - 01/03/02 06:20 PM
Did I miss something important? tsuwm, can you give us a link in addition to the wink?

WW

© Wordsmith.org