Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm MNF I&I - 11/20/01 05:14 PM
Dennis Miller was in rare form last night -- check out these epexegeses for his use of Gotham, hacky sack, monster trucks and more.
http://msn.espn.go.com/abcsports/mnf/s/annotatedmiller/index.html

Posted By: Jackie Re: MNF I&I - 11/21/01 03:13 AM
Pretty good, tsuwm. What the heck are epexegeses, please? Epic exegeses? Your guy said, ...in light of MLB commissioner Bud Selig's efforts to eliminate the Minnesota Twins. My word, I hope someone gave Mr. Selig a laxative!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: MNF I&I [Sports/Business rant] - 11/21/01 03:37 AM
Selig wants to eliminate the Twins in "contraction" because, although he is "Commissioner" (in some people's eyes), he's still the OWNER of the Milwaukee Brewers, and he hopes to pick up the Minnesota fan base and market shares. He's nothing but the same cynical, greedy punk who's only interest is his own interest, and who exerted a huge influence on the owners' side in promoting the '94 strike. He's a bum, throw 'im out!
Enjoyed the Miller link, tsuwm! and, yeah, we know, the Giants lost, hope ya enjoyed it

Posted By: tsuwm Re: MNF I&I - 11/22/01 02:32 AM
>What the heck are epexegeses, please? Epic exegeses?

hey j, that's not too bad a guess, hear? actually, epexegesis is one of my favorite wwftds....

you know that an exegeis is an explanation, an exposition, a gloss; well the ep- is just a Greek afix which adds in addition, the addition of a word or words to convey more clearly the meaning implied. but be careful, because this could take on the characteristics of pleonasm and redundancy.

Posted By: Jackie Re: MNF I&I - 11/22/01 02:58 AM
pleonasm and redundancy.
Oh. In that case, I think you just gave an eppleonasm.

Posted By: Wordwind epexegeses - 11/22/01 03:06 PM
epexegeses--is this term used in religious context as is exegeses?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: epexegeses - 11/22/01 03:17 PM
as you might expect, ep~ is a bit rare, OED2 has only four(4) citations for it, two are religious and 2 not. this one seems a tad sarcastic:
These jottings of old age, interesting as they are, err on the side of redundancy and epexegesis.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: epexegeses - 11/23/01 07:08 PM
is this term used in religious context as is exegeses?

You misspelled it if it was religious. It should have been ex-Jesus. Surely?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: epexegeses - 11/23/01 07:21 PM
as has often been said, Shirley: what a friend we have in exegesis.

© Wordsmith.org