Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/13/01 01:09 AM
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 10/13/01 01:16 AM
Posted By: plutarch Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/13/01 01:22 AM
There must be a word or a term to describe this angst, Wordwind. If there isn't, we should coin one. Any ideas? "Download overload" is the best I can come up with for now.

Posted By: maverick Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/13/01 09:05 AM
Yes, like Max I mostly dream of ADSL! In the meantime I browse with three windows of IE open at once, so at least something *seems to be happening most of the time.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/13/01 10:59 AM
My dictionary says that factoid should mean a lie masquerading as a fact.

Posted By: Jackie A positive note? - 10/13/01 12:13 PM
For me, the pages have been coming up faster the last couple of days--mostly. Has anyone else had this happen?

Posted By: Yoda Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/13/01 12:59 PM
I've got broadband access at home, and it still ain't fast. Mind you, it's a bit better today.

To answer the question: vegetate, mostly.

Posted By: wwh Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/13/01 01:54 PM
My problem has been long waits for windows to change. I can't tell when it is AWAD server being asleep and when it is my ISP timing out. Pacbell's DSL leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted By: wow Re: Download depression - 10/13/01 01:56 PM
Sip coffee (decaf only)
Dust the desk
Pat the dog (she's always at, or next to my feet)
Polish my glasses.
Clean the screen with"Endust for electronics."
Switch clothes from washer to dryer.
Fold dried clothes
Browse a catalogue (Christmas editions proliferating like hangers in an unused closet)
And when desperate and all the above done :

Blow on the screen to make it show stuff (it always worked for my Dad at stop lights)
sometimes it works --strains of eerie music in background

Reading this over it seems these are all girl things ... what do you guys do?
Posted By: musick Download oppression - 10/13/01 02:59 PM
Jackie - Yes! It has picked up speed, back to its original tempo. We must be going through the same DNS.

WW - AWAD is becoming, by far, a leader in "fluff free" load time, making next to no time (except a sip of coffee's worth) before my mouse is waiting for me... as my 384 SDSL has been beri-beri good to me. (...but then again, my concept of *patience seems to be askew...)

"Hippopotamus", as a spacer, seems to produce a rather long second to me... but, my concept of patience *seems to be askew.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Download oppression - 10/13/01 06:04 PM
We must be going through the same DNS.
Ooh, musick, no one's ever tried that line before! Gave me shivers, it did!
Thanks for the feedback, you-all. I'll pass it on to ---
oh, even at the thought of writing his name my hands get cold!---you-know-who. I don't want to send complaints only.!

Posted By: consuelo anticipation - 10/13/01 09:51 PM
Being a very patient person myself, these are the things I do if the wait time is particularly long. I crank up my stereo and dance. I go find some matches to light some incense. I pick new music to dance to. I read from my books. I pick up after myself. I meditate. I do stretching exersises. By the time I do all these things, the next page has come up.

Posted By: wwh Re: anticipation - 10/14/01 01:15 AM
The consolations of Consuelo.

Posted By: consuelo Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 01:35 PM
I turned the TV on a few minutes before the news came on this morning and what did I find? A nature show on HIPPOPOTOMI! Is this some kind of plot that everywhere I turn, I am being bombarded with HIPPOPOTOMI? PS I just purchaced this CD "The Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.[and crazier]

Posted By: consuelo Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 01:37 PM
I guess I'll just have to be patient and all will be revealed!

Posted By: maverick Re: Download oppression - 10/14/01 02:03 PM
It has picked up speed, back to its original tempo

It has certainly become more normal, rather than virtually not working. But from here it is still sometimes stickily slow.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/14/01 03:09 PM
Well, I have this nice network access at UC, so it's pretty fast, but when it gets slow I generally just start googling for something or I just sit here. Right now I'm taking notes on the fall of communism for my intro to political ideology . . . exciting stuff.

Posted By: wow Re: Download oppression - 10/14/01 03:11 PM
Faster on weekends, slower on weekdays.

Volume?

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/14/01 03:48 PM
Posted By: consuelo Re: Hippopopmusic - 10/14/01 03:57 PM
http://www.flecktones.com/

Posted By: musick Volume - 10/14/01 04:05 PM
If any political *scheme truly manifest its ideology... oh, never mind.

WOW - I think you're correct... so there must be a very large number of people logged in that don't show their online status. I wonder if you could request a weekly "traffic report" from the giant head... er... top dog... mmm... big cheese... um... head hancho...

... head hippo?...
Posted By: Keiva Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 04:22 PM
this some kind of plot that everywhere I turn, I am being bombarded with HIPPOPOTOMI?
Clearly that fertile aquarian has become the mother of all posts.

And speaking of maternal pride: The tale is told of three american-indian ladies, talking one fine afternoon while seated at their labors. The first, seated on a bearskin, boasted that her son was so fine a hunter that he had killed 20 deer that season. The second, seated on a buffalo hide, countered that her son had accomplished that same notable feat. But the third lady, seated on a hippopotomus (!) pelt, smiled quietly, secure in the recollection of her younger days when, as a warrior princess and Artemis, she had personally had equal success in the hunting arts.

Proving once again the Pythagorean insight that the squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/14/01 04:28 PM
Posted By: of troy Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 04:46 PM
i have being trying to avoid this sudden, compelling involvement AWAD has developed for hippopotomi.. i keep finding, like some one in the deapths of DT's, hippos where ever i look.. but now, even i must add to the hippopotomadness.

what i have found to be mesmerizing --is the lovely image of the hippopotomi ballerina's, en pointe, dancing their way through Fantasia..
not being a thin, or even average sized woman, i took it as a complement when some one said i danced, and moved with the same grace as the lovely hippotomi of Fantasia..grace and elegance are not exclusively the possesions of the young and slender..

Posted By: Jackie Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 05:18 PM
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.

I love them!

Posted By: Keiva Re: hippopotomi - 10/14/01 07:14 PM
the lovely image of the hippopotomi ballerina's, en pointe, dancing their way through Fantasia.
I can't hear that music without Alan Sherman's words thereto ringing through my poor head. "Hello Mudder. / Hello Fadder. / Here I am at / Camp Grenada!" And of course, the Fantasia images further make comic the "Dance of the Hours" music. BTW, Helen, forget not that the Fantansia hippi in tuti were ardently pursued by slavering wolves.

Posted By: Bingley Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/15/01 06:52 AM
While waiting for pages to download, I:
flick through my shelf of reference books;
stare at the person in the office across the corridor;
go to the loo;
make a cup of coffee;
get a bar of chocolate or an ice-cream;
open another window and go to a site which has long pages to read;
and if all else fails, work.

Bingley
Posted By: maverick Re: desperation! - 10/15/01 12:50 PM

yeah, that's a real bummer, ain't it!

Posted By: of troy Re: hippopotomi - 10/15/01 01:04 PM
RE: the Fantansia hippi in tuti were ardently pursued by slavering wolves.

yes, keiva, but women of grace and refinement are often persued by wolfs.. fortunately, as in Fantasia, the wolf don't always win. the hippo's are not unmindful of the wolfs, but they don't let the wolfs change their behavior. as a recall, the wolf all suffer a bad end, and the hippo's continue to their dance.

there is either a distinct lack of wolfs at AWAD, (first guess) or failing that, a distinct lack of being persued. not that i am complaining, i don't post here in hopes of meeting the perfect He-ppo.

Posted By: Keiva Re: hippopot - O MY! - 10/15/01 02:55 PM
Helen, I do believe you're mis-recalling the resolution, in Fantasia, of the eternal conflict between refinement and slavering. See the title of this post.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/15/01 08:14 PM

Oh you poor dear . I know that feeling, when all you want to do it bounce around AWAD and there is your boss hovering around your desk.

You have to practice the "concerned attention to a vital piece of information" look. Scrunch your eyebrows together while peering intently at the screen. Every four or five seconds press on "Caps Lock" a couple of times to make is seem as if you are moving through the document.

It may happen that somebody will, after hovering around for a couple of minutes and not wanting to wait anymore, say "er, Bingley old chap."

Then you move to the "oh all right let me just mark my spot since what you have to say is soooo important" move by doing the 'just one second' sign in a somewhat distracted way, with one hand holding up one finger just barely higher than your mouse - that'll prove you are so very concentrated in your work and they'll usually say "let me come back later". To which you just nod your head without taking your eyes off the screen.

Just a suggestion of course

I usually play Sherlock while waiting for page turns.

Posted By: Jackie Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/16/01 01:11 AM
Bel, you are in fine form tonight, my friend! Loved your architecture post, too.

Posted By: TEd Remington what do you guys do? - 10/16/01 04:22 PM
You DON'T want to know. Just trust us on this one.

Posted By: TEd Remington ...and all will be revealed! - 10/16/01 04:24 PM
tap. tap. tap. We're waiiiiiting [lecherous leer e-con]

Posted By: Keiva Re: ...and all will be revealed! - 10/16/01 04:59 PM
TEd! While I enjoy this Board greatly, and yield to no one* in my admiration for our ladies, if any (ayleurettes? does that make me an aileurophile?), how could I post in such a state?

----------
*exception made for the admiration Faldage holds, in the specific case rather than the general.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: ...and all will be revealed! - 10/16/01 08:37 PM
Now wait a minute here TEd. Unless your computer is wayyyy different than mine, all I can fiddle around with is the mouse. Now, unless you are into some sort of freaky rodent fetish you'll have to elaborate for us ladies [pure and innocent looking face]

Oh wait, if you are at home maybe you have one of those flight simulators or game thingies. Then I suppose you could play with your joystick.[snicker, snicker]

Posted By: TEd Remington how could I post in such a state? - 10/16/01 08:47 PM
I canter imagine.

Posted By: of troy Re: ...and all will be revealed! - 10/16/01 08:52 PM
re: nless your computer is wayyyy different than mine, all I can fiddle around with is the mouse. Now,
unless you are into some sort of freaky rodent fetish you'll have to elaborate for us ladies

Bel, dear, not every one has a mouse any more.. some have touch pads, and lots of people these days got for balls, a track ball that is.. i suppose it should be singular.. computers only get one ball..
a trainer in the next cube over has a big red one.. i suppose it would be right to ask TEd if he has a big red one, too? or do you think he is a touchy kind of guy?

Posted By: consuelo ! Red Ball!!? - 10/16/01 09:12 PM
Oh, never mind. I can't do it. I just can't!

Posted By: Keiva Re: the mouse that roared! - 10/16/01 09:37 PM
Ladies, one may presume that TEd's CPU ("Cental Processing Unit"} and related systems include ...
a hippopotaMouse!

Posted By: TEd Remington I'll show you mine if... - 10/18/01 07:35 PM
Were I in England, I would merely ask if you wanted to go over my testimonials.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: ...and all will be revealed! - 10/18/01 07:38 PM
Of course that would depend on the position you were offering me.

>lots of people these days got for balls

Is that an indication that I could get to first base with you????

Posted By: of troy Re: ...and all will be revealed! - 10/18/01 07:48 PM
What! Another attempt to turn a thread into a sports thread! No way brother! Not first base, not any base.. I was making a crude attempt to ape Chaucer.. you do remember the tale of the farmer?

the farmer bragged "I have a big red cock! It wakes me every morning.." It was a fine cock... the finest fowl he had ever owned.. the brand name of the track ball is "the big red ball".

Posted By: consuelo Re: hippopotomi revisited - 10/19/01 10:07 AM
They aren't done with us yet. Wednesday I was in the silver store, looking for some girly-girl earrings, and there, bold as brass, was a hippopotomass. A pin for the lapel. Oh, hell. I haven't bought it, yet.

Enigma:girly-girl-girt, hippopotomass-hips

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/19/01 04:58 PM
I browse OED2 or peruse "Dictionaries: The Art and Craft of Lexicography" or Mencken's "The American Language"... but y'all knew that, didn't you.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hippopotomi revisited - 10/19/01 05:09 PM

this will be my one (and only) hippopotamine [animal adjective crossthread] post. a hundred lashes with the hippopotamus hide whip if it isn't.

Posted By: of troy Re: hippopotomi revisited - 10/19/01 05:32 PM
I have been mildly surprize that no one, in all the hippaloo, has mentioned William, one of NY's famous hippo's. He is the (un) official mascot of the Met. (mus. of art)

William, is a faience hippo that has been a favorite with Museum visitors since its arrival at the Museum in 1917. William is decorated with drawings of lotus blossoms and marsh plants which remind us of his favorite habitat, the shallow banks of the Nile River.
A direct link to a version of william for sale can be found by going here..
http://www.metmuseum.org/store/index.asp

and searching for William, to find him in his many available forms, (kids backpacks, men's ties, and everything inbetween!) It is a store, but it is a dot org store (which means everything is 20 to 50% more expensive than it would be anywhere else!)
the end result is a very, very, very large URL.

from the Met home page, you can find the original william (or a photo of him)

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: hippopotomi revisited - 10/19/01 06:11 PM
all the hippaloo

I, for one, propose a hippopotamoratorium.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 10/19/01 07:16 PM
Heyyyy, I just found out something neat. You can open up several internet exporers at a time. Open them all to this Board and have a different category in each window. I usually only visit I&A, Q&A, Wordplay, Misc. So when one thread is loading in one window I can be reading an other in another window. When I post and answer, I go to another window to read there, and so on.

It saves so much time.

Well, there goes the bandwidth :)

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/20/01 12:33 AM
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 10/21/01 09:19 AM
Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 10/21/01 12:43 PM
Posted By: consuelo Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 12/26/01 01:01 AM
If our members in Australia have long waits the end of March/early April, here's something to do while waiting for the pages to load

Béla Fleck and the Flecktones will be appearing:
3/29 -3/30/02 East Coast Blues & Roots Festival Byron Bay, Australia
3/31 - 4/1/02 The Basement Sydney, Australia

APRIL 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/3/02 The Prince of Wales Melbourne, Australia
4/5/02 The Gov. Hindmarsh Adelaide, Australia

Check it out! (No, I don't get a commision!)

Posted By: wwh Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 12/26/01 03:35 AM
I'm trying to improvise a scheme for reading a magazine while waiting for window to change. It hasn't been as bad lately. I still can't tell when it is my ISP timing out on me, and when it is AWAD server not replying.
But with DSL the download time is negligible. But to read a magazine I have to push keyboard into storage space under monitor, replace it with bookrack to support magazine, and get my jointed arm with 8" circular fluorescent with five inch magnifying glass into position. That rigamarole gets tiresome. Where have all the alphatists gone?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: What Do You Do While Pages Download? - 12/26/01 11:07 AM
The board has been blissfully fast these past few days. I wonder what's up? But those days that you wait and wait and wait--well, it's just not worth the effort of waiting. Could be a sign from the gods that we should be doing something else altogether:

living
walking
hunting
talking
writing letters to old friends
organizing those piles and stacks of disorder
loving...

I can imagine doing something other than writing here, but from where can we draw the propulsion to do so, I wonder? I know! Just go out and buy, at the after-Christmas sales, the Chicken Tiki Masala Cat®! Energy in amber rods!

DubDub

© Wordsmith.org