Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington Am I the only one - 08/28/01 09:02 PM
who is surprised by this from an obituary in today's Denver Post?

"Frank Mulligan loved books. So much so that, even after his sight began to fade, he spent hours entranced by audio books, still moved by the sound of the printed word."

Sort of a thud thud thud as the ink is pounded into the paper, I guess.

Posted By: wwh Re: Am I the only one - 08/28/01 09:26 PM
entranced by audio books, still moved by the sound of the printed word."

A classic example of ellipsis, perhaps? " the taped sound of the printed word" ? (the old quibbler strikes again. Or strikes out again.) I just couldn't bear to see no replies.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Am I the only one - 08/28/01 09:43 PM
I doubt it was referring specifically to the taped sound of the printed word. Maybe it means he preferred the flow of the written word to the more colloquial spoken word.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Am I the only one - 08/28/01 10:11 PM
still moved by the sound of the printed word

Tell you what, why not ask him? You can interpret the sound of words spelled out silently by the ouija board ...

Posted By: wwh Re: Am I the only one - 08/28/01 11:36 PM
Dear CK: You would need a very special Ouija board to communicate with the subject of an obituary.

Posted By: tsuwm Am I the only one... - 08/29/01 12:45 AM
...who is bewildered by this statement?
You would need a very special Ouija board to communicate with the subject of an obituary.

ouija - a proprietary name for a board having the letters of the alphabet and other signs used for obtaining messages and answers in spiritualistic séances.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Am I the only one... - 08/29/01 12:18 PM
...who is bewildered by this statement?
You would need a very special Ouija board to communicate with the subject of an obituary.

All Ouija® boards are special.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Am I the only one... - 08/29/01 04:16 PM
All Ouija® boards are special.
Then we need an Ouija board that has a different layout.
Why did they name it yes-yes, anyway?

© Wordsmith.org