Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bazr aussie slang - 06/27/14 10:22 AM
underdaks

underpants. From daks meaning pants. Also called underchunders or underdungers.

Bibliography: Macquarie Best Aussie Slang. © 2008. James Lambert, editor. Macquarie Dictionary Publishers Pty Ltd (online edition 2014).
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 06/28/14 02:10 AM
aerial ping-pong

Aerial ping-pong is a jocular (and frequently derisive) name for Australian National Football (or Aussie Rules as it is popularly called).

The term derives from the fact that the play in this game is characterised by frequent exchanges of long and high kicks.

It is used largely by people from States in which Rugby and not Australian Rules is the major football code. This interstate rivalry is evident in the citations in the Australian National Dictionary:

1964 Footy Fan (Melbourne): Sydney folk are generally curious about this religion or mania which they term 'aerial ping pong' or 'Aussie Rules'.

1965 F. Hardy, Yarns of Billy Borker: That's not football, mate, it's aerial ping-pong.

1973 J. Dunn, How to Play Football: Sydneysiders like to call Australian Rules 'aerial ping-pong'.

1980 H. Lunn, Behind the Banana Curtain: I won't comment much on their football - called aerial pingpong in Queensland - because I don't understand it.

A team from Sydney was admitted to the national competition in 1982, and one from Brisbane was admitted in 1987. These teams are based in traditional Rugby areas, yet have drawn very large crowds, and have been very successful. It will be interesting to see if the term aerial ping-pong survives.

Reference: Australian National Dictionary Centre
Posted By: Faldage Re: aussie slang - 06/28/14 11:38 AM
I remember my first encounters with Australian Rules football. We would note that at some times a player would get penalised for doing nothing more than getting too close to an opposing player while at other times he could smash headlong into an opposing player and the ref would just look away. Then we watched a game with an Ozzie who actually knew the game and he explained the concept of the mark to us.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 06/28/14 12:10 PM
Just as long as you have your eye on the ball and not the player everything is usually OK.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 06/29/14 09:31 AM
Doovalacky : used whenever you can't remember what something is called. Thingummyjig, whatsit.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/07/14 08:06 AM
Figjam : "Gee I'm good; just ask me". Nickname for people who have a high opinion of themselves.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/08/14 03:12 AM
London to a brick : absolute certainty
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 12:04 AM
This is one that I use a lot:

Mucking around
Meaning: acting in a way that others generally don't like.
Example: She got very mad at the way he was mucking around.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 02:29 AM
Enjoying yourself here Bazr??
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 02:37 AM
Luke,

Just updating you on a broad knowledge of the Australian Idiom.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 03:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Bazr
London to a brick : absolute certainty

I like this one!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 04:11 PM
I'll piggy back on that Peter.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/09/14 11:59 PM
Larrikin: a bloke who is always enjoying himself, harmless prankster
Posted By: Faldage Re: aussie slang - 07/10/14 12:12 AM
In Australia, when you're having your morning meal, assuming it's not a tube of neck oil, do you call it brekkie or brekkies?
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/10/14 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
In Australia, when you're having your morning meal, assuming it's not a tube of neck oil, do you call it brekkie or brekkies?

brekkie is the term
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/12/14 01:09 AM
Airships and clouds: Sausages with mashed potato
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: aussie slang - 07/12/14 07:06 AM
*salivates*
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 07/27/14 11:43 PM
He's got tickets on himself - highly self opinionated, thinks they are just great
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 08/18/14 08:11 AM
shrapnel - coins of a low denomination
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: aussie slang - 08/18/14 12:05 PM
Apparently I need to spend some time in Australia. Well, I want to anyway, but just to get the flavor of the language would be excuse enough.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: aussie slang - 08/18/14 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
Apparently I need to spend some time in Australia. Well, I want to anyway, but just to get the flavor of the language would be excuse enough.

We could probably stay with Candy, can I go with?
Queensland sounds great.
Posted By: Bazr Re: aussie slang - 01/26/15 07:56 AM
Good oil :useful information, a good idea, the truth
Posted By: Bazr Beginners Guide to Aussie Slang - 07/09/19 01:09 PM

https://nomadsworld.com/aussie-slang/
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Beginners Guide to Aussie Slang - 07/09/19 05:05 PM
Have that Saved and may use some with Candy sometime.
© Wordsmith.org