Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow White on rice - 06/03/01 02:22 PM
Lately I've heard that caption phrase quite a lot. As in "One mistake and the Boss was on me like white on rice."

I tried a search but got bogged down in that dratted *other mode ...
"Like white on rice..." What does it mean?
Why not "like white on mashed potato?"
Or "Like white on snow?"
Or "Like red on beets?"

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 03:10 PM
My favorite variation on this is "like stink on a monkey"... since you asked for an explanation, I'd just say it's a way to say "The boss was all over me" with the opportunity for showing off how clever one can be.

Posted By: musick Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 07:00 PM
All over me...

...like a wet noodle[self yart-e]

Posted By: Anonymous Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 08:19 PM
musick confesses:

All over me....like a wet noodle.

mmmmkay. i haven't heard of this particular fetish, but i'll stand not in judgment. enjoy!!

Posted By: wwh Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 08:24 PM
Today's bosses seem like milktoasts compared to those fifty years ago, who sank sharp teeth into the glutei, and ripped out chunks of quivering flesh.

Posted By: wow Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 08:38 PM
No! No! you all are going off on tangents ... something I never do .... forget about the boss and noodles and all that...
Just tell me what "Like White On Rice" means. Please!

Posted By: wwh Re: White on rice - 06/03/01 08:52 PM
Dear wow: Rice is white all over, so boss was all over hapless Dilbert "like white on rice.". What more need be said?

Posted By: Flatlander Re: White on rice - 06/04/01 10:52 AM
I've always been partial to "like a cheap suit". Usually used about overly-affectionate members of the opposite sex -- "Did you see them at the bar last night? She was on him like a cheap suit."

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: White on rice - 06/04/01 01:07 PM
I also had never heard the expression, and when I first read it - esp. in conjunction with the expression "stink on a monkey" - I got the impression that the boss was picking on you for no good reason. Like, rice is already white, so does not need to have mpre white put on it?

Posted By: J.P. Esquire Re: White on rice - 06/05/01 01:02 AM
Saying that your boss was on you "like white on rice" implies two things:

1. your boss unmercifully had hounded you from 9 to 5; and
2. you wouldn't have been able to escape his vise-like grasp even if you had tried (just like you cannot "escape" the whiteness of white rice, no matter how hard you wash it or how long you cook it).

Unfortunately, the exact origins of this phrase are beyond me ken.

Speaking of variations on this theme, I've run across "like flies on a horse" and "like a dog in heat." I have also seen/heard "like flies on ****."

Posted By: Bingley Re: White on rice - 06/05/01 05:00 AM
In reply to:

like flies on ****.

One of our newer members is so well-known as to be almost proverbial it would seem.

Bingley

© Wordsmith.org