Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/28/01 08:00 PM
the word is: colluctation

send me your definition via PM I'll leave it open for 48 hours (or until I get home Wed. evening)
and remember, don't LIU!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/28/01 11:16 PM
Well, I'm not playing, so I LIUed it. My hat's off to anyone who gets it without LIU! Good luck ...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 12:39 AM
but CK, the idea isn't to "get it", the idea is to invent a definition that's compelling to others!

Posted By: Geoff Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 12:41 PM
Well, I'm not playing, so I LIUed it. My hat's off to anyone who gets it without LIU! Good luck ...

But, CK, it's the creative types, the ones with lunatic imaginations, that bluff the best in this game. You're a natural! You may have eliminated yourself from round one, but please Do jump in on round two! In this game the "winner" often doesn't get the bast laughs from fellow players, so, in a sense, the "losers" are often the best players.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 01:45 PM
I think I may have to cut this off later today, as I've already got eight 'entries' - didn't know what to expect.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 02:52 PM
here's the scoring rules slightly modified from the board game:

SCORING RULES
1. One point is given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. Two points are awarded to each player who chooses the true* meaning.
3. Three points are given to the moderator only if none of the players choose the true meaning.
4. Three points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct
meaning.
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game :-Ţ )
6. A player may vote for her own definition but scores points only for those others she can bluff into also voting for that definition.. (i.e., you can't get a rule 1 point that way!)

since we're trying to promote the game, I'll let anyone vote in round 1 but, obviously, only the submitters will accumulate score. we can make adjustments as we go.

*true meaning is at the discretion of the moderator, distilled from the usually accepted sources (OED, W3, MWCD, AHD)

Posted By: maverick Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 05:31 PM
and just to save someone else asking: hi, E!™
why aren't we doing this thing in Wordplay & Fun - or isn't it going to be fun?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 05:45 PM
mav micturates and moans why aren't we doing this thing in Wordplay & Fun - or isn't it going to be fun?

I actually considered moving it over there, but then thought that would unduly complicate things for some.

Posted By: maverick Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/29/01 05:52 PM
That's mighty considerate, ole timer. God knows what we'd do if we had to learn to use an index, too

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/30/01 03:55 AM
the definitions are up! posted under Wordplay and Fun (to avoid thread clutter, don't you know).

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/30/01 09:15 AM
and just to save someone else asking:

thanks, mav, you're a gentleman and a scholar wink

Now I'll hop over to W&F to see what y'all concocted, before departing for a most-likely-internetless six-day vacation. Y'all have fun!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dalberbash™, round 1 - 05/30/01 06:59 PM
here's a late entry from RC which is a fine example of one way to approach these things (although it may not be a fine example of a winning approach :)
This is the act of stumbling across a hitherto unknown mountain or area of high ground.
from "col" - hill, rise,
"luc(k)" - (good) fortune
and the suffix "-ation"

The word is in current use amongst
Sherpas and Welsh Sheep

© Wordsmith.org