Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 11:51 AM
Just in passing, ..I want to know how many of you utilise 'Who's Online' regularly. I once looked in, only to find someone else (I've forgotten who now), looking straight back at me, i.e. under Location it read 'online.pl' for them too. It felt almost like meeting them and being caught red-handed at the same time.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 12:06 PM
I often use the "Who's Online" feature. I like to see who is on and what they are doing.
If I see that someone is adding a post or replying to a message, I often hang around for a while to see what it is.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 01:39 PM
a more... interesting... question, perhaps, to the spies amongst us might be: who has modified his profile to *block this feature?

Posted By: rodward Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 02:47 PM
who has modified his profile to *block this feature?

well, I had for one because I was not sure what it did and who might be peeking. And then I forgot about it completely. Now I know you are all such great guys [gender neuter emoticon], and been reminded about it, I have switched it to Allow. But I don't know when it takes affect, because when I looked I was not listed. As far as I remember, I have only logged in once a couple of months back. Since then AWAD always knows who I am. Does anyone know exactly what criteria are used?
Viewing, Posting, in last 10 minutes?
"Allow" set when logging in?
Does "Who's Online" show yourself? I don't think so. Can any one see me now?

I will check again after this post and update to say what happened.
Who's online did not show me so I will logout and back in again.
Can't see myself though. No magic mirrors.

All is clear, I hadn't submitted the change properly, oops I can now see myself.

Rod the great defective

Posted By: wow Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 03:14 PM
Does "Who's Online" show yourself?

Sure does!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 03:18 PM
does "Who's Online" show yourself?

not if you've blocked it.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 03:44 PM
Oh, BY, how your post made me laugh.

one of my very favorite AWADers and i began our correspondence, and a great friendship, in exactly that way... we were both in "online" at the same time, and were both strangers, IIRC, so the PM i received a few minutes later (asking me if i felt like a voyeur, as well) was one of the first in my inbox =)

Rapunzel, i use it in exactly the same way you do. if someone (usually max, for some reason; i guess our schedules coincide) is showing "new reply", i tend to hang around to read it.

which brings me to my own question:

Is it just me, or do any of you ever spend WAY more time than you intended to in this forum, only because every time you get ready to log out there's another 'NEW' tag, and it's just too hard to resist??

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 03:51 PM
>is it just me, or...

how do you think max made it to pooh-bah status so fast?

Posted By: wow Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 03:55 PM
do any of you ever spend WAY more time than you intended to in this forum, only because every time you get ready to log out there's another 'NEW' tag, and it's just too hard to resist??

Oh yes! And I tend to look in on "Who" when I seem to be actually catching up on postings ... usually I discover I'm all by my lonesome-- that's why !

Posted By: slovovoi Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 04:36 PM
Guilty.

I watch for new users and some of our (cough) more loquacious colleagues so that I might spend yet another minute or two too-long perusing the posts.

Posted By: Bean Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 05:01 PM
I am often on all by myself in the mornings, because Newfoundland is a half-hour ahead of the eastern part of North America, and about 12 hours out of sync with the antipodeans. So if I'm online in the morning here, they're almost asleep, and anyone in North America is probably not at work yet.

Does anyone besdies me ever start posts only to realize you were going to say something silly or pointless, and then stop composing them?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 06:14 PM
Oh sure, I check who is online, too. Usually, it's when I'm just about caught up on the posting, and I want to see if any posts are forthcoming.

Of course, there was that one time on April 1, when for a while only I was on and then somebody was resurrecting old posts and I went looking for a witness. [rolling eyes emoticon]

And I always spend more time than I should on here. You guys are irresistible.

Does anyone besdies me ever start posts only to realize you were going to say something silly or pointless, and then stop composing them?

Yup. Usually, though, I don't stop!

Posted By: wow Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 07:01 PM
Does anyone besides me ever start posts ... something silly or pointless...then stop ?

Yup. Usually, though, I don't stop!

Me too!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 07:27 PM
is it just me, or...

how do you think max made it to pooh-bah status so fast

And so it begins. The Pooh-Bahs will now turn on each other in a mutually self-destuctive orgy of incrimination and recrimination, for the entertainment of all. Bring your knitting, ladies, and be sure to get the seats closest to the guillotine.

On a somewhat related note, I must confess that my April Fool's stunt did boost me by the equivalent, at my normal posting average, of a fortnight or so, so the mean Minnesotan's query is not entirely baseless.
To paraphrase Will, "he that filches from me my good name steals trash; 'tis something, nothing; 'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;[slinking off guiltily e]

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/23/01 09:15 PM
Yes, I use it. I just saw Max at "online.pl". I thought that online happened to other people.

jimthedog
Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 01:23 AM
wow....
I'm all by my lonesome-- that's why !

Yes, it is so eerily lonesome when you see you are the only one online. I do not much like the feeling.

chronist
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 02:49 AM
Wed May 23
22:46:39 2001

And I'm the only one here.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 08:24 AM
At this time of night, it's often just Max'n me. For obvious reasons. None of the Oz contingent seems to post much after work hours, although occasionally one of the more insomniac USns is on - or has forgotten to log out. Which I have also been known to do.

I often check online immediately I log on, just to see who's home! Hi, Max and Wideyed!

And yes, on a number of occasions - in fact I've run out of fingers and toes - I've started a reply and then canned it.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 12:58 PM
Oh, mercy, what a revealing thread this is! Yes, I know a couple of people who have "gone invisible"--one of whom will very frequently send to me within minutes of my logging on! It's never bothered me that people will see what I'm doing. (By the way, what does "online.pl" signify, anyway? Is that Online Place? Showflat, I figure is someone looking at threads in flat mode.) It used to concern me that people would think I spend too much time here (gee, can't imagine why), so I used to be very conscientious about shutting it off when I left the computer. But now, prolly 'cause you people are so great, I don't really worry about it. For ex., I have just come back here after spending nearly an hour downstairs, and simply returned to the thread I left off at.

C.K., you reminded me of a question I've had: should I be "logging out" (off)? I always just close the window.

And yes--I have started and abandoned many stupid posts (but not all, obviously!). So: tsuwm, now you know it could have been a lot worse even than it was.

Sometimes I'll go to the Main Index when I'm ready to leave, and if I see a New icon (hi Aunt mav) I'll go to Who's Online to see if I can tell who made it. That's the only spying I do. Though sometimes if I'm feeling lonely
I'll check, and am rather despondent if there's only me!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 01:15 PM
I plead guilty to all of the charges discussed above. I've never found anyone else "online.pl", though. I had thought that it only showed what you were doing yourself (and wondered slightly at the uselessness of such information! but I am very used to useless info coming from computers, so took it as normal!)

As to stopping a post on realising it is drivel - well, I have done so, but not half as often as I should, I fear

And I have no problems about being the only one logged on. I suppose because e-mail is a normal means of conversation for me - I even use it to talk to the girl whose desk is just the other side of the room from me: for good reasons, mind you! So sending posts when I know it will be a while before anyone responds doesn't worry me.

Posted By: musick Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 04:03 PM
I am one of those that went invisible for a couple of reasons... the most important of which is that I found that the difference saves me time by eliminating PM's from those that would turn this board into a chat room (given the chance), and I already spend too much time here (not that there is anything wrong with that).

ALthough I'm nOt the One B96 was taLking abOut (I dOn't use ICQ) her and I have run intO each Other in OnLine a cOupLe Of times (back when One cOuLd see me)tsuwm beware). I look at online when I arrive to see what's up, and when I leave to see if I should stay (ie. what's still up).

It seems the "chatty" crowd seems to have gone silent, so in the interest of *fairness, I will restart the infrared glasses and take off my lead cape.

Posted By: wow Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 05:31 PM
the difference saves me time by eliminating PM's

Or, you could go to your profile and click "no" to the question as to whether or not you'll accept PMs and still be in "Who's Online."

Posted By: musick Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 06:14 PM
...but I like PM's, *relatively.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 06:17 PM
musick likes PM's, *relatively

I have a fond place in *my heart for them, too. Hi E 5+aWU

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/24/01 07:52 PM
-I have started and abandoned many stupid posts (but not all, obviously!).

I will not believe this! Whatever reasons you may have had for abandoning a post, I annot accept that the post would have been stupid. have abandoned a great many posts, after realisng that their paucity of content would see them add nothing but clutter to a thread, much as this one has done.

Posted By: wideyed Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/25/01 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, with me, things seem to have gone a bit nicker twisted, such that I abandon all my clever, witty, constuctive, insightful posts (na, na, honest govna' ) and the remainder slip through,....often unf

Posted By: Anonymous IIRC - 05/25/01 01:30 PM
ALthough I'm nOt the One B96 was taLking abOut (I dOn't use ICQ)

Kev, yOu're a nut =)

it took me a minute to figure out what ICQ had to do with any of this, but in rereading my post i saw that i'd used the acronym "IIRC", which is quite similar to IRC. what i was trying to say was "if i recall correctly". i'm also prone toward AAMOF (as a matter of fact), OTOH (on the other hand), FWIW (for what it's worth), BTW (by the way), LOL (laughing out loud) hi K, and IRL (in real life) hi C. most of the online briefspeak is quite irritating to me (stuff like CUL8R and NE1), but when in a rush there are a few that come in handy.

if anyone cares to check out a more complete list of common chat abbreviations, there's a fairly comprehensive one at http://www.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/~pabude/abkuerz.htm

oh, and then there's MM

Posted By: wow Re: IIRC - 05/25/01 01:48 PM
complete list of common chat abbreviations, there's a fairly comprehensive one at http://www.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/~pabude/abkuerz.htm

Very interesting, B96. But for me it's easier to write it out (WIO ?) rather than try to memorize all those* !!!

Posted By: Faldage Re: IIRC - 05/25/01 01:54 PM
Nice link, B96!

They left an important one out.

EPGAWMSIMWINFK.

Posted By: wow Re: IIRC - 05/25/01 02:25 PM
EPGAWMSIMWINFK.

Awwww c'mon, tell!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: IIRC - 05/25/01 02:27 PM
EPGAWMSIMWINFK.

Excepting, perhaps, gross ayleurism, we make sense in mincing words if [and only if] not forsaking kontext?

and in the absence of said context, would you care to fill in the blanks??

Posted By: Faldage Re: EPGAWMSIMWINFK. - 05/25/01 02:31 PM
If I Tell You, Buy Me A Beer?

No, wait, that's something else.

Ein paar gängige Abkürzung, wie man sie immer mal wieder im Netz finden kann.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: EPGAWMSIMWINFK. - 05/25/01 02:36 PM
Ein paar gängige Abkürzung, wie man sie immer mal wieder im Netz finden kann.

Gee, faldage, what an amazing coincidence. that was my next guess.
Posted By: Faldage Re: EPGAWMSIMWINFK. - 05/25/01 02:43 PM
B96 tells us that Ein paar gängige Abkürzung, wie man sie immer mal wieder im Netz finden kann was her next guess

As well it might have been, since it came from her link.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/25/01 07:18 PM
C.K., you reminded me of a question I've had: should I be "logging out" (off)? I always just close the window.

I don't think that it matters whether you log out or not. The Who's Online box says that it only shows users who have been active in the last ten minutes.
I often don't log out myself. It's easier to just jump back in than to take 5 whole seconds to log in when I arrive.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/25/01 07:57 PM
I am one of those that went invisible for a couple of reasons... the most important of which is that I found that the difference saves me time by eliminating PM's from those that would turn this board into a chat room

Oh. Now I'm depressed. I'm sorry if I bothered you. I'll try to respond only.

Posted By: musick Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/25/01 08:15 PM
Jackie - how could you possibly think I was referring to you? Does this mean you would like this to be a chat room? I haven't got that chatty fLavOr from you, yet, but.

If you log out you remove yourself from the online list immediately (ie. without waiting through ten minutes of purgatory) and dodge people like me who would think you're still there to be responded to.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/25/01 11:32 PM
If you log out you remove yourself from the online list immediately (ie. without waiting through ten minutes of purgatory) and dodge people like me who would think you're still there to be responded to.

Thank you. It has sometimes happened that, within a few minutes of closing my AWADtalk window, I'll get notified of a private message; and of course I can't STAND ignoring it,
and have to open it back up.

No, I don't think this is a chat room, but...I have been known to pounce upon you, sweet musick! [licking lips e]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/26/01 03:09 AM
>chat room

in the past, some strangers have tried to use it as such. this has usually generated some tetchy threads in I&A. (is this covered in the 'hints' thread?)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/26/01 04:08 AM
Have peeked at the Who's Online occasionally out of curiosity, but never deemed it to be of any importance one way or the other...always interesting when others are sharing the space, though! As you've all probably noticed I've "gone invisible" for awhile only because I found the 3 discussion boards I frequent (the eMule.com Poetry Archives Forum, the VH1.com music messageboards, and this) were taking almost all my time...I can't imagine myself in a chat room! So I have to catch my breath for awhile, since I have no other computer savvy to speak of! And that Neanderthal thread really gave me quite a run for my money!..It was fun! But since I inaugurated the thread I felt responsible for responding...as with any sporadic post. In short, I could move in and live here!...I love this stuff!
And I have a few other ideas (including one I discussed with Jackie), but I've got to hold off for a little while. And, evidently, from the discussion on this thread, there are nuances of this board I haven't learned yet...which is just as well, or I could never pull myself away! And I'd wind-up bogarting the board! Seemed like a good thread to let everybody know I'm still here...for the duration!!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/26/01 04:15 AM
>for the duration

what would we do if Anu decided to fold this operation??
[just for the sake of speculation -madthing]

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/26/01 06:38 AM
[just for the sake of speculation -madthing]

Start up another one, of course. We'd need to find a sponsor, but there are so many academic institutions out there, aren't there?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hands up the spies amongst us - 05/26/01 01:11 PM

Word withdrawal??

Posted By: wow Re: Power of Words - Take them BACK! - 05/26/01 06:00 PM
AWAD, AWADchat and AWADtalk without The Great Anu?
Horror of horrors!
Heaven forfend!
I'll have nightmares and stress for months just thinking about the possibility.
What's a High Priestess to do?
Oh, The Power of Words!
Sackcloth and ashes, dire portents, omens, darkening of the sun, blood-red moon ...
Take the words back. Take them back *now, I say.

OK, tsuwm, Jackie and Max : more for you to respond to and progress to even more exalted rank... One can but strive to please the Pooh Bahs!

© Wordsmith.org