Wordsmith.org
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/17/13 04:06 PM

House Call

Letter from Charles Dickens to a chimney sweep, March 15, 1864:

Dear Sir,

Since you last swept my study chimney it has developed some peculiar eccentricities. Smoke has indeed proceeded from the cowl that surmounts it, but it has seemingly been undergoing internal agonies of a most distressing nature, and pours forth disastrous volumes of swarthy vapour into the apartment wherein I habitually labour. Although a comforting relief probably to the chimney, this is not altogether convenient to me. If you can send a confidential sub-sweep, with whom the chimney can engage in social intercourse, it might be induced to disclose the cause of the departure from its normal functions.

Faithfully yours,

Charles Dickens
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/17/13 05:35 PM
The reply might well have read as follows:

16th March 1864

Mr C.Dickens, Esq.

Honoured Sir,

I wuz greatly distressed by your hintimation that all is not well wiv your noble chimbley after hit ad received my hattentions.
I shall immediately send Arry, my best climbin boy, oo is well acquainted with the fell ways of chimbleys.
I would respeckfully arst you ter make sartin that no lidies is presint on that occasion, as the hintercourse between climbin boys and their chimbleys can oftimes be arsh.

Your hobediant sv’t

Alf. Doolittle
Chimbley Sweep
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/17/13 05:45 PM
Hey, OK !
I really liked it, especially the part about
absenting any gentlewomen.
You is a very creative mate.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/17/13 07:51 PM
Busman's holiday, I fear - C19 Social History is how I've earned my beer-moey these last 30 years.
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/24/13 10:36 PM
Yep, and you've done a good job of rewriting it, too! laugh
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/25/13 09:56 AM
As I have for many years told my students, there is no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong' in history - it is all a matter of interpretation! wink
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 02/25/13 03:57 PM
- -and who the winners were!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 03/02/13 01:58 AM
I love Mr. Dickens' wording. Was he intending to be humorous, do you reckon?
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 03/02/13 11:51 AM
I think there is a good chance that he was, Jackie.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 03/02/13 08:53 PM
One of the few bits of Dickens I've ever read start to finish, and even enjoyed. When I try to read his novels I get halfway (or less) through, then hurl the damned thing across the room.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 03/02/13 09:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Trombo! I'll agree that some of his lengthy descriptive passages are tedious - fairly obviously written to fill up the pages for his latest episode to be pubilshed in the magazine that week - but I would advise that you 'skip read' those bits (there is sometimes important information contained within the descriptions!) The stories always come to a satisfactory end - now and again a bitmawkish, but that was Dickens satisfying his Victorian public. On the whole, and despite some stylistic deficiencies (from a modernist point of view!) he is a very fine writer and many of his ideas are as current today as they were then!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 11:54 AM
I was force-fed David Copperfield, tried Great Expectations (twice) and never got past page 14. I was told repeatedly, "Oh, but you must read A Tale of Two Cities. It's different. You'll love it." Well, it wasn't, and I didn't. That's the one that flew. There were other attempts, but I've forgotten what they were. There's no doubt of his brilliance, but I just can't get past the style and, as you say, the mawkishness. My hopes are dimming for finding a Dickens I can appreciate.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 03:18 PM
that's what movies are for.

;¬ )
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 03:27 PM
You took the words out of my mouth.
I have many of them on DVD.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 08:24 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't scratch the same itch.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 08:40 PM
There is nodoubt that Dickens is a writer - like Marmite - that you either love or hate! My dear wife was of the same opinion as you, Peter, deapite allmy proletysing.
I'm sure that a Freudian Analysist would make something out of it, but then - they always do, don't they?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/02/13 10:08 PM
I'm afraid I've never read Marmite ( whistle ), but perhaps here in the West we can learn to appreciate the wonders of the Yeast.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Social intercourse..Dickensian - 04/04/13 03:22 PM
heh
© Wordsmith.org