Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie I have coined a term - 08/21/11 02:35 AM
pro-retaliation, meaning acts done not in response to any behavior but solely because of perception or prejudice.

What do you-all think? (JFTR, I am not enamored with this term; I was just struck by the concept. If there's a word already in place for it, somebody please let me know. Other than the words for legal charges, I mean.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: I have coined a term - 08/21/11 09:41 AM
1580s, from L.L. retaliare "pay back in kind," from re- "back" + L. talio "exaction of payment in kind," from talis "suchlike." Originally used both in good and evil senses.

Pro- meaning intended? But how can you intend to retaliate something that was not really done ot given? Can you speak of retaliation at all?
How does pro- go with re-?
Posted By: Candy Re: I have coined a term - 08/21/11 09:49 AM
Is it a term you have seen Jackie?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I have coined a term - 08/21/11 01:55 PM
Quote:
pro-retaliation, meaning acts done not in response to any behavior but solely because of perception or prejudice.

I might have gone for 'pretaliation'.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I have coined a term - 08/21/11 04:36 PM
> pro-retaliation

I would read that as being in favor of retaliation.
Posted By: Faldage Re: I have coined a term - 08/21/11 11:52 PM
I'm with tsuwm. Pretaliation. I feel the same way about proactive. It should be preactive but proactive is too well established.

To Bran, it would be done to avenge a slight not yet committed but expected.
Posted By: olly Re: I have coined a term - 08/22/11 12:06 AM
I might have gone for 'pretaliation'.

My thought too. Much like pre-poning an event or a pre-emptive strike.
Posted By: Jackie Re: I have coined a term - 08/22/11 03:05 AM
It should be preactive but proactive is too well established. Yeah, that's why I used pro-.
Pretaliation is better.

What I was thinking of is along the lines of you seeing a person whom for some reason you don't like, and you go do something bad to them even though he was just minding his own business and you had never seen him before. As in, "All you X's are such-and-such, therefore you deserve what I'm about to give you".

There are several words for criminal charges for doing this, but none that I knew of for this specifically-motivated act.
Posted By: Candy Re: I have coined a term - 08/22/11 12:33 PM
Like a vigilante attack, one that is extralegel!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I have coined a term - 08/22/11 02:26 PM
Like a posse???
Posted By: BranShea Re: I have coined a term - 08/22/11 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I'm with tsuwm. Pretaliation. I feel the same way about proactive. It should be preactive but proactive is too well established.

To Bran, it would be done to avenge a slight not yet committed but expected.

What a world. frown But. I think pretaliation is a perfect word for this as it can include the meaning : premature action.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: I have coined a term - 08/23/11 08:29 AM
How about pretection?
Posted By: BranShea Re: I have coined a term - 08/23/11 09:27 AM
Points sooner towards detection?

I had to search for 'premature' because I wasn't sure about using the word precocious. (wrong word) Yet, premature /Occurring, growing, or existing before the customary, correct, or assigned time; uncommonly or unexpectedly early: a premature end./
and
Precocious /
Manifesting or characterized by unusually early development or maturity, especially in mental aptitude. Blossoming before the appearance of leaves./

are in meaning rather close.

Posted By: Candy Re: I have coined a term - 08/23/11 09:45 AM
immature is more like it!
as in.... exhibiting less than an expected degree of maturity.
Posted By: Jackie Re: I have coined a term - 08/24/11 02:44 AM
Well--it wouldn't necessarily be an illegal act. Posses usually went out on some kind of warrant, but I'd bet a small amount of money there were some that went after somebody because "he musta done it".

Some examples: you don't like someone you work with, so, although they've never done anything to you, you decide to see to it that they don't receive important messages or in some other way sabotage their work. You believe your neighbor might sue you on account of the garage you just built, so you send them a nastily-worded letter saying your attorney has checked all the city codes and it's perfectly legal.

But yes, hate crimes are probably the most common types of pretaliation.
Posted By: Candy Re: I have coined a term - 08/24/11 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

example: you don't like someone you work with, so, although they've never done anything to you, you decide to see to it that they don't receive important messages or in some other way sabotage their work.

Thats an example of workplace harassment or bulling.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I have coined a term - 08/24/11 03:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Well--it wouldn't necessarily be an illegal act. Posses usually went out on some kind of warrant, but I'd bet a small amount of money there were some that went after somebody because "he musta done it".

Some examples: you don't like someone you work with, so, although they've never done anything to you, you decide to see to it that they don't receive important messages or in some other way sabotage their work. You believe your neighbor might sue you on account of the garage you just built, so you send them a nastily-worded letter saying your attorney has checked all the city codes and it's perfectly legal.

But yes, hate crimes are probably the most common types of pretaliation.

As in "didn't you get the email? The boss sent it out at
9:15 this AM".
There is a food advertisement where the "whole crew" is eating
and some guy says "why didn't you invite me like you always do?",
and they give him that reply.

In old westerns, the Sheriff says: "get your horses, boys, we'll
go after him". I suppose that is a sort of "warrant", no?
© Wordsmith.org