Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Lar Snyder Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/13/11 05:36 PM
Hi, I'm creating a game for the iPad that is like a crossword puzzle but differs in the fact that changing the orientation changes the puzzles layout. It's goofy, but I wanted to give "titles" to the player for each puzzle as they achieved a certain score level. One of my early titles was going to be cross-eyed, which I liked because of the crossword theme, but then I started second guessing it wondering if anyone would see that as offensive, or would people take it in good spirit?

So that's the first question. Is cross-eyed something I should shy away from?

Second question is I have a list of titles that people can achieve as they do better with each puzzle. I would appreciate any feedback on the titles and if there are any suggestions for better titles too! Thanks for helping out the newbie!

Tyro
Cross-eyed
Tenderfoot
Greenhorn
Hunter
Journeyman
Seeker
Wordsmith
Savant
Oracle
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/13/11 10:19 PM
Interesting, thanks for asking.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/13/11 11:42 PM
I think that anyone who would be attracted by a whacko game like this would appreciate the humor of the designation "cross-eyed".
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/14/11 02:25 AM
Yeah, it could be taken as insulting. I'd go for something like Frazzled or Befuddled for that level.
Posted By: Candy Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/14/11 11:42 AM
I voted 'totally fine'
but like Jackies suggestions as well (I think you might need more steps anyhow).
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/14/11 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Yeah, [cross-eyed] could be taken as insulting.

since we're all about words here, the p.c. medical term for this condition is esotropia, a form of strabismus. but I don't even play a doctor on TV.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/14/11 11:39 PM
Problem I see is I think Cross-eyed should go higher (or, in this case, lower) on the list. Anyway, more advanced than where it is. The idea is that it would take a certain amount of exposure to the game to become Cross-eyed. The problem with that is that the titles get more serious as you improve, but maybe a little comic relief would be in order. I think I'd suggest it go between Greenhorn and Hunter.
Posted By: Lar Snyder Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/21/11 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, and also thanks for the suggestion on placement. I agree with you and I'll move that up the list a bit.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 03/22/11 03:08 AM
Don't be scarce: come see us again.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cross-eyed poll/question - 05/16/11 03:47 AM
please note the nefarious insertion of links into a previous post by the previous poster [notified]
© Wordsmith.org