Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie For discussion - 01/15/10 02:48 AM
I wrote down something our minister said in his sermon; I think it is a quote, but I didn't note from whom. Anyway, I wonder what you all think about this:
The purpose of a Liberal Arts education is to free the mind from ignorance, fear, prejudice and superstition.
Posted By: BranShea Re: For discussion - 01/15/10 02:46 PM
I've always wondered what 'liberal arts' exactly means compared to just art. What does the 'liberal' mean. Is there a clear distinction between art and liberal art?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: For discussion - 01/15/10 03:19 PM
I've always wondered what 'liberal arts' exactly means compared to just art.

The liberal arts are those suitable for study by freemen, in Latin liber. The originally consisted of seven arts (fields): the trivium (i.e., grammar, logic, and rhetoric) and the quadrivium (i.e., arithmetic, astronomy, geometry, and music)). Latin ars, artis, is more 'skill' or 'craft' than what we call art today. It corresponds to Greek τεχνη (tekhnē). I have often wondered how the term fine arts (French beaux arts, Spanish bellas artes) developed over time.

You see the same sort of development in the word science and history. In Latin scientia 'knowledge' corresponds to Greek ιστορια (historia). Both these words are related to English wit, German wissen 'to know'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: For discussion - 01/15/10 07:12 PM
Just guessing that when ars, art is more skill or craft it may just have resulted from the development in skills and craft from coarse in the begin times to the refined stages it reached later on.
(de schone kunsten)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: ding an sicht - 01/15/10 08:55 PM
it may just have resulted from the development in skills and craft from coarse in the begin times to the refined stages it reached later on

Yes, probably so. Heidegger talks about techne in his Die Frage nach der Technik (The Question Concerning Technology). In his Der Ursprung des Kunstwerkes (The Origin of the Work of Art ), which is worth reading, he discusses van Gogh's painting of a pair of peasant boots.
Posted By: BranShea Re: ding an sicht - 01/22/10 08:49 PM
Oi, sorry. This one slipped my attention as I take no email notifications. I've made a note of the book. For a semi shoe fetishist this sounds interesting, even if it's written by Heidegger grin
Posted By: Avyy Re: ding an sicht - 01/23/10 01:45 AM
Yes. It would be fascinating to read about the technique of this particular painting even if I know nothing about art. Just the mention of the painting brings its image. VG said his aim in painting is to convey to the viewer what he felt when he looked upon the subject. How uncomplicated and wonderful is that?
Posted By: BranShea Re: ding an sicht - 01/23/10 11:48 AM
A painter's aim is not always reached. That's why it will be interesting to read Heidegger's vieuw on the boots. I only hope my reading list will not outgrow my days.
Posted By: Avy Re: ding an sicht - 01/23/10 02:38 PM
If you have other things to read first, I'll borrow Heidegger from you, just like I'm taking Jackie out for a thank you drink for helping me hack a Y off my user name.
Posted By: BranShea Re: ding an sicht - 01/23/10 07:47 PM
smile It will be hard to borrow what I will still have to borrow from the library
Posted By: Avy Re: ding an sicht - 01/24/10 01:15 AM
Anything is possible in this real plus unreal equals crazy world of today. Anything!
Posted By: Jackie Re: ding an sicht - 01/24/10 03:22 AM
I'm taking Jackie out for a thank you drink for helping me hack a Y off my user name. [bow] It's nice to see the "real" you again, A! wink
Posted By: Avy Re: ding an sicht - 01/24/10 09:03 AM
[Return bow]
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ding an sicht - 01/25/10 05:08 PM
@zmjezhd: Ding an sicht? Is this a Wortspiel(pun)?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: ding an sich - 01/25/10 05:39 PM
Is this a Wortspiel(pun)?

I'd love to say that it was, but it ain't. Don't know what I was thing, but das Ding an sich 'the thing-in-itself' was something I've read and seen and heard a whole bunch. Perhaps, the excrescent c descended from the mispronunciation of often?
Posted By: BranShea Re: ding an sich - 01/25/10 08:06 PM
Das Ding an sich or Das Ding an sicht. What will it be if it is not a word play?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: ding an sich - 01/25/10 09:24 PM
What will it be if it is not a word play?

zB: Das Ding sucht um Urlaub an.
Posted By: BranShea Re: ding an sich - 01/27/10 09:49 PM
Beurlaubte oder unbeurlaubte Urlaub?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: zweite sogenannte verunsicherung - 01/28/10 12:08 AM
„Denn die philosophischen Probleme entstehen, wenn die Sprache feiert.“ L Wittgenstein Philosophische Untersuchungen, §38.

[Corrected typo.]
Posted By: BranShea Re: zweite sogenannte verunsicherung - 01/28/10 07:35 PM
Hahahha... . ha/
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: zweite sogenannte verunsicherung - 01/29/10 12:26 AM
Sure wish I spoke German or whatever it is.
Posted By: BranShea Re: zweite sogenannte verunsicherung - 01/29/10 09:20 AM
The YouTube is more whatever it is than German I think but fun to listen to.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: zweite sogenannte verunsicherung - 01/29/10 02:35 PM
[i]ha/[i]

Pretty funny. I see even native speakers of German make typos, too.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: second so-called insecurity - 01/29/10 02:52 PM
Sure wish I spoke German or whatever it is.

BranShea's YouTube video is a sample of synthetic speech. It is in German. My quote is "For philosophical problems arise when language goes on holiday" in English.

[On the subject line see Wikipedia on EAV.]
© Wordsmith.org