Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Birrell Walsh The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/21/09 08:27 PM
We have just acquired a fierce young very dark variegated grey kitten
[img:left]http://www.flickr.com/photos/birrellwalsh/3743218005/in/set-72157621641673403/[/img]
We need a name for this pilgrim. Help, please.

Birrell
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/21/09 08:36 PM

Dorian Gray (or, Oscar [Wilde])
Smokey
Posted By: Zed Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/21/09 08:50 PM
For a male: The Shadow. (As in the old radio plays so it needs The in front.)
For a female Freya (I don't have a reason)

Tho on thinking about it I like Dorian Gray and it would work for male or female pilgrims.
Posted By: olly Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/21/09 09:43 PM
This should work.

'Phantom' would be my suggestion.
Posted By: Jackie Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 02:44 AM
Thanks, olly--I couldn't get to the picture in the OP.

I offer Furty--a combination of furry and furtive. That one is definitely going to be up to no good!
Posted By: BranShea Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 07:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Birrell Walsh
We have just acquired a fierce young very dark variegated grey kitten
[img:left]http://www.flickr.com/photos/birrellwalsh/3743218005/in/set-72157621641673403/[/img]
We need a name for this pilgrim. Help, please.
Birrell
Morning Birrell, your link did not come out completey well, but by using the Quote button and taking the link out to the browser I saw your kitten. Cute, it looks a lot darker than grey though.
I would call it Smoky, get another one with it and call it Bandit.( that's wat kittens are anyway) smirk
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 11:13 AM
You've got to get to know the cat. Listen. Watch. The cat will tell you its name.
Posted By: Birrell Walsh Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 04:40 PM
We keep drifting towards words about smoke, because his color is like very dark smoke, and is lighter on his belly. I wonder if people know words for smoke in obscure languages? (We have the fum/hum - family from Romance...)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 04:57 PM
if you want obscure, how about fumee?
Obs. rare.
[a. F. fumée]
Smoke, a cloud of smoke.
Posted By: latishya Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/22/09 09:14 PM
We keep drifting towards words about smoke, because his color is like very dark smoke, and is lighter on his belly. I wonder if people know words for smoke in obscure languages? (We have the fum/hum - family from Romance...)

i dont know if a language with more than 300 million speakers is obscure but one not very common hindi adjective for 'smoky' is सधूम - sadhoom. as a lover of cats and science fiction this word makes me think of the home of the shadows in the series babylon 5 a place called Z'ha'dum. it seems appropriate for a familiar.
Posted By: BranShea Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 05:53 AM
That'll be the first French cat called 'Fumee' grin
Posted By: haukur Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 06:44 AM
How about Reykur, meaning smoke in Icelandic?

Charly
Posted By: Birrell Walsh Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 10:26 AM
i dont know if a language with more than 300 million speakers is obscure but one not very common hindi adjective for 'smoky' is - sadhoom.

Does the accent fall on Sa or on dhoom in that, might I ask? It has a nice sound...
Posted By: Birrell Walsh Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: haukur

Any way to know how that is pronounced, for us who are Icelandically challenged?

Birrell
Posted By: latishya Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 10:32 AM
i dont know if a language with more than 300 million speakers is obscure but one not very common hindi adjective for 'smoky' is - sadhoom.

Does the accent fall on Sa or on dhoom in that, might I ask? It has a nice sound...

stress on the dhoom. again, apt for a familiar.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: haukur

Charly

especially good if you are Star Trek fans!
Posted By: haukur Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 04:02 PM
Ah yes, the "ey" in Reykur is pronounced like "ay" in day and the "u" like the German u with an umlaut (ü) or "eux" in the French word deux.

And I admit to shortening the name of my horse, Haukur (my nickname) to "Hauki" when I call him because it is easier to pronounce. Calling the kitten "Reyki" would be less of a tongue twister.

Charly
Posted By: BranShea Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 05:42 PM
Definitely easier to shout: "Reyki, come down out of those curtains than to call "Reykur" _ as their name is practically the only thing cats more or less listen to. (That's why I like them)
Posted By: Birrell Walsh Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/23/09 07:27 PM
And we would have half the reiki-healers in the neighborhood coming over to lay hands on us!
Posted By: Jackie Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/24/09 01:57 AM
Oh, I forgot about that! A girlfriend of mine hooked up with one of those people for a short while; he turned out to be very weird.

I was thinking along the lines of what Faldage said when I offered Furty*; I was looking for an apt name.

*I know Furty isn't pretty to look at, though the sound of it isn't so bad. Maybe Furti?

Anyway--please let us know what you decide!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/24/09 02:06 AM
J.. being totally ignored's a bummer, eh?!
-ron o.
Posted By: BranShea Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/24/09 01:10 PM
name list All is ever been taken care of. I still would call it Smokey or Smoky since I looked it in the eye. It has a pleasant smokey soul. laugh
Posted By: Jackie Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/24/09 08:12 PM
Did someone say something?!
Posted By: Birrell Walsh Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/24/09 09:32 PM
I rather like Furty. Might do something with it like Frrty. But he does like that sound.
Posted By: Zed Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/25/09 06:16 AM
Sorry Brannie, I liked some of the suggestionson your website but gave up when they suggested "Ashley Olsen" as a female cat's name.

at least they didn't suggest it for a tom.
Posted By: BranShea Re: The Naming of a Smoky Grey Kitten - 07/25/09 05:37 PM
I was being ironic. What cat in his/her right mind would lower it's selfrespect and listen to such ridiculus names.
© Wordsmith.org