Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth marshmallow - 04/06/01 10:09 AM
I'm off to London, England tonight and was planning on bringing some of these back (along with a host of other orders from Brit/Oz folk). My query: does anyone here actually pronounce the word the way it is written. I have only ever heard it spoken as 'marshmellow'.

p.s. hope they'll let me out of the country again!

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 10:22 AM
My query: does anyone here actually pronounce the word the way it is written. I have only ever heard it spoken as 'marshmellow'.

I'm sorry, BY, but to me marshmallow is pronounced the way it is spelled. the "mallow" rhymes with "callow" "fallow" and "shallow". However you pronounce it, enjoy them.

Posted By: shanks Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 10:48 AM
My experience is the opposite of Max's - always MARSHm'lo.

Diversity, eh?

Posted By: Faldage Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 11:30 AM
I have always heard "marsh 'mel low with primary accent on the first syllable and a secondary accent on the second; definitely not as I take shanks's pronunciation to be.

Another question. Those things sold as marshmallows in the States are, to the best of my knowledge, nothing more than blobs of some goobied up sugar. Has anyone eaten real marshmallows (Althaea officinalis)? Are they even edible?

Posted By: maverick Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 11:53 AM
BY, my take is more with Max than Shanks on this: marsh-MA-llo.

Shanks is puttin' on the R(P)itz!

Posted By: shanks Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 12:14 PM
Shanks is puttin' on the R(P)itz!

Hey. It's not easy being born with a silver spoon in your mouth - makes those ruddy vowels very difficult to get out!

cheer

the sunshine ("Demosthenes with silverware in his mouth") warrior

Posted By: emanuela Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 01:00 PM
I have informations about my grandmother harvesting (is this correct?) and eating it.
My mother was used to buy it to prepare an infusion useful against colitis.
Emanuela
P.S. With my snail speed...this is -1 to Member!

Posted By: Jackie Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 01:12 PM
Go, emanuela! And b--youth, have a good trip.

Posted By: wow Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 01:18 PM
A popular children's sandwich in NorthEast US is a PBM a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich using white bread.
It morphs into a comfort food for adults who grew up with PBMs.
It's generally pronounced "Marshmelo" accent on Marsh and the rest kinda swallowed.
When I lived on West Coast of US for awhile I could not find Marshmallow Fluff in any store ... they had a kind of runny marshmallow creme -- yuk -- too oozy for a sandwich but ok on ice cream sundae.
Neither is Fluff available in Hawaii. My son lives and works in Hawaii and I have to send a box of Fluff to him periodically. He keeps bread, a jar of PB and a container of Fluff at his office for mid-afternoon pick-me-ups.
(At 6"2" and carrying 175 lbs of muscle he can afford the indulgence!)
Any New Englander who catches him preparing his snack yells "FLUFF ! Where did you get it?" and he shares -- in the fellowship of all displaced Yankee.
Are you carrying "Fluff" to the UK ? Or just the little pop-in-you-mouth balls of picnic style marsmallows?
wow

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 03:35 PM
Faldage, you are correct that the MARSH-mellows (only pronunciation I have ever heard) in the U.S. are like sweet gummy cotton balls*, or a smoothed-out spreadable version, as WOW notes. What, pray, are British marshmallows?

*They are made from sugar syrup whipped with gelatine.

Posted By: rodward Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 03:53 PM
Marshm-a-llows (only sound I've heard) are the same in UK. And are not worth while eating until they have a carcinogenic layer from holding them on a stick over a camp fire.
Rod

Posted By: Faldage Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 06:19 PM
Rod won't eat them until until they have a carcinogenic layer from holding them on a stick over a camp fire.

Also common practice among US'ns. We also drop them alive into steaming cups of hot chocolate, but only the immature ones before they grow too large.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: mad cows and englishmen - 04/06/01 06:23 PM
"Beware the British marshmallow, it is made of British beef!"

Posted By: Anonymous Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 06:32 PM
Rod won't eat them until until they have a carcinogenic layer from holding them on a stick over a camp fire.

Also common practice among US'ns. We also drop them alive into steaming cups of hot chocolate, but only the immature ones before they grow too large.

had to giggle at that, faldage. and also had to state the obvious (at least to US'n's): A camping prerequisite is roasting marshm-A-llows over the campfire by spearing them with straightened hangers, then placing them atop squares of sweetened chocolate while they're still piping hot, then squashing the mixture between two graham cracker halves, producing "s'mores".

it's rather foul to me, since i'm not a fan of brown chocolate, but everyone else seems to like it =)

Posted By: of troy Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 07:03 PM
marshmallows They are made from sugar syrup whipped with gelatine.

And egg whites--to make a meringue that is stiffened by gelatin-- and i have read that the plant ( a marsh mallow) produces an effect like gelatin-- just as some sea weeds do, and was used in the past to make a meringue confections --marshmallow candys -- which have degenerated into current day marshmallows-- as well as having other uses. No mention yet of mallomars--(I can't stand them-- but are there any fanatics out there?)

Nougat is an other form of meringue only it is cooked to stiffen it. (and some say, properly made with honey)

My daughter was able to convince her "Food Policeman" father that Fluff was healthier food than grape jelly because of trace amounts of "protein" found in Fluff.( I was rather impressed with that!)

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: marshmallow - 04/06/01 09:46 PM
Si, Emanuela, there is a plant called marshmallow. It's commonly used to treat kidney and bladder problems, and its mucilaginous qualities make it useful in treating internal inflammations and healing mucous membranes.

Did I mention I take an active interest in herbal medicine?

Posted By: Marianna Re: marshmallow - 04/07/01 12:38 AM
My only contribution to such a sweet thread must be to point out that the Spanish form of marshmallow (longer, tube-like sweets instead of roundish) is referred to as "nube" (cloud). There is no traditional roasting of marshmallows in Spain, except by those who have heard that they are roasted over campfires in the US.

Posted By: wow Re: marshmallow -sweet tooth - 04/07/01 12:20 PM
If you have a "sweet tooth" and are not allowed chocolate (sigh) marshmallows cure the dis-ease!
Please note that US marshmallows contain no fat ... a sweet dodge for those counting fat grams and not calories!
How about that phrase : sweet tooth meaning a craving for something sweet. Does it translate?
wow

Posted By: BlanchePatch Re: marshmallow - 04/07/01 09:15 PM
I once got interested in the word mushroom (I'm an amateur mycologist) and discovered that it is related to mousse, moss and marsh (and marshmallow) -- all things that are kind of foamy and spongy and damp. I can't think of any other common words in this family....

Posted By: Sparteye Re: marshes - 04/09/01 12:17 PM
And speaking of terms for foamy, spongy, and damp, while on a walk yesterday, my son decided to take a "short cut" which went through a marshy area. He ended up marooned in the middle of a swamp, clutching a dead tree trunk, until he was rescued.

He summarized the lesson learned by saying that "some ponds have glue water."

Posted By: of troy Re: marshmallow -sweet tooth - 04/10/01 02:52 PM
and its the season for my favorite marshmallows-- peeps-- little marshmallow birds covered in yellow sugar (think of it, a sugar foam candy, covered with cyrstal sugar! sugar on the outside and on the inside!)

I can usually pass on most marshmallows-- but peeps-- i could inhale! My kids used to wonder why they never got them in there easter baskets-- i could pass on chocolate (yes, i know i sound less than human when i say that) but no matter how many peeps i bought-- i manage to eat them all before the holiday-- and then bought all the left over ones at 50%, and devoured them!

Posted By: wow Re: marshmallow Peeps - 04/10/01 03:06 PM
Oh yes! Peeps ... those little yellow, marshmallow, baby chick shaped, mouthsfull of sugar overload yummyness!

Race you, Helen!
wow

Posted By: of troy Re: marshmallow - 04/10/01 04:04 PM
re: and its mucilaginous qualities make it useful in treating internal inflammations and healing mucous membranes.

In the post above this (the one above the quoted one!--flat mode) i suggested that Marshmallow plants formed a sort of gelatin... and Fiberbabe uses the word based on mucilage--which is a gelatinous substance from plants-- (which some how differes from pectin, an other jelly like plant substance... )

Do these words reflect a basic chemical difference or some difference in texture that i am not aware of?

are marshmallows "Gummy" like okra? or is there a whole world of words for the vicousness in food-- (point here is not the food, but the words to describe it.)

and are there other words?
Gelatin
mucilage
pectin
????

is gelatin animal based? and what about the gelatin from "birds nest soup"-- the gelatin that lines the nest of certain sea swallows, is this a gelatin

Posted By: wwh Re: marshmallow - 04/10/01 08:05 PM
"is gelatin animal based?" Yes, it is made by boiling skin, bones, horn, hooves. My father would not have Jello on the table, as he had heard of its being made from horse and cow hooves.

mucilage,pectin, and carrageenan are all plant products.

Posted By: Hyla Re: marshmallow -sweet tooth - 04/10/01 10:07 PM
As to peeps, those odd little confections - I have heard of a rather unorthodox activity carried out with the little beasts - peep jousting.

Apparently, peeps swell hugely and wildly when subject to microwave radiation. So, some stalwart soul selected a brace of peeps, armed them with toothpicks (by poking them into the peeps), placed them facing each other, but at a respectful distance, inside a microwave oven, and fired it up. The peeps are said to bob and weave as they swell up, giving the appearance of doing combat with each other.

The Peeps corporate representatives, when asked about such behavior, had little to say on the matter, but did suggest that if it contributed to the sales of peeps, they were all for it. I think they recognize that, aside from the lovely Ms. of troy and a handful of other folks deficient in the evolutionary traits which allow an appreciation (nay, a madness) for chocolate, nobody really eats peeps - they're just for decoration in an easter basket.

And with that, my 200th post, I move from member (which makes me feel like I belong here, and have achieved some sort of recognized status) to enthusiast (which seems somehow a demotion).

Posted By: wwh Re: Easter Baskets - 04/10/01 10:43 PM
"decoration in an easter basket."

Easter Baskets can be fun for the kids, but do any of you remember when kids "hung" May Baskets as a surprise for their mothers? I haven't heard of it for a long time.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: marshmallow -sweet tooth - 04/11/01 09:41 PM
I think they recognize that, aside from the lovely Ms. of troy and a handful of other folks deficient in the evolutionary traits which allow an appreciation (nay, a madness) for chocolate

i believe what Hyla meant to say was that only a select handful of us have evolved beyond the primal craving for chocolate.

nobody really eats peeps - they're just for decoration in an easter basket.

i beg to differ ~ peeps rock. yum, yum. the wonderful thing about peeps, too, is that even though they get all hard when they're stale, if you wait long enough they get mooshy again. ditto for lucky charms.

in case anyone feels the urge to know the preferred method for enjoying a peep, i found this gem:

Q: What's the correct way to eat a Peep? My husband insists it's bite the head off, then the butt, then stuff the middle in your mouth.

A: There's not really a correct way, but there is a preferred way. According 1998 surveys by MSI International and International Communications Research (ICR), 60 percent of consumers eat Peeps head first. And if that's not grizzly enough, 40 percent stretch the neck out before the fatal chomp. No statistics on butt and belly biting, but 10 percent admit, actually admit, they stuff more than one whole Peep in their mouth at once.

Posted By: of troy Re: marshmallow -sweet tooth - 04/12/01 11:54 AM
Oh yes-- first you must de capitate them! (after all, as R crumb said--" The head is the best!") and then the rest. No particular order for the body- it really depends on whether or not it's an end peep or a middle! --

I'll take your word on the stale one B96-- mine never stay around long enough to get stale!

(mean while, AnnaS, i have been doing real word stuff over in the Q & A section.... and not just food fun!)

Posted By: Rapunzel Peeps - 04/12/01 12:02 PM
I currently have a silly little Peeps screen-saver dancing around on my computer-- if any of my fellow Peeps enthusiasts want to check it out, they can go here:
http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com

The site also includes a look at how Peeps are made, among other strange and wonderful things.

© Wordsmith.org