Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie A verdict - 11/27/08 02:50 AM
"The federal jury ... rejected three other felony counts of accessing computers without authorization to inflict emotional harm."

Uh--think maybe that could have been written a bit better? (This was from an on-line news article.)
Posted By: The Pook Re: A verdict - 11/27/08 04:37 AM
...you mean you can apply for authorization to inflict emotional harm?? Where do I sign? confused
Posted By: Faldage Re: A verdict - 11/27/08 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
"The federal jury ... rejected three other felony counts of accessing computers without authorization to inflict emotional harm."

Uh--think maybe that could have been written a bit better? (This was from an on-line news article.)

Umm... Lessee. You want some way of saying that it was the accessing of the computer that was unauthorized without implying that the intent to inflict emotional harm was open to being authorized. Beyond common sense, that is. And maybe even keeping it to one sentence. And not coming off all awkward and stuff. Or are you maybe suggesting that the intent of the federal jury's rejection of the three other felony counts was to inflict emotional harm?
Posted By: Jackie Re: A verdict - 11/29/08 01:50 AM
Move over, Pookie, I'm cutting in line.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: A verdict - 01/09/09 06:43 PM

speaking of court things:
Why is it, and is it OK,
for newscasters to use the term pleaded
e.g. "he pleaded innocent".
Is it OK? I thought the past was pled
or are now both acceptable?
Posted By: Faldage Re: A verdict - 01/10/09 02:49 AM
Random House Unabridged, 1966 and AHD4 both accept pleaded and pled. As an added bonus, RHU also accepts plead (pronounced /pled/) as the past tense.

You'd be on safer grounds objecting to the "innocent" part. It's either "guilty" or "not guilty."
© Wordsmith.org