Wordsmith.org
Posted By: cara FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/15/08 09:56 PM
Does anyone have a copy of Connie's "FOLDING TAMALES"?? If so, please email to me.... gotrojans@(NOSPAM)cox.net.

Gracias!!
Posted By: The Pook Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 12:23 AM
Tamale Origami??
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 12:33 AM
Tamale

The singular form (in Spanish) is tamal.
Posted By: Jackie Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 02:53 AM
I did have it but didn't save it (or, just can't find it). Why don't you send her a PM and ask her for it? She's prolly got it in her computer. She showed Hubby and me how to make them but I don't remember all the ingredients. Shoot--I can't remember if she's Consuelo or consuelo here, and it makes a difference.
Posted By: The Pook Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 02:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Tamale

The singular form (in Spanish) is tamal.

But we're not speaking Spanish. In English, it is a Tamale. In fact, even in Spanish it is probably dialectically variant from place to place, and it comes from a native american word tamalli.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 04:04 PM
cara~

Nice to see you.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: FOLDING TAMALES? - 08/16/08 04:06 PM
But we're not speaking Spanish. In English, it is a Tamale.

Yes, that is the reason for the parenthetical, and my observation was purely informational. I do say tamal in English. Is that incorrect? I hope not.

In fact, even in Spanish it is probably dialectically variant from place to place.

I doubt that, but I would be happily corrected if you'd tell which dialects or point me to some texts that the variant in use. The Spanish Wikipedia article has some of the other words used for the comestible (link). The article does say that in the USA the term tamale is used, but it is not obvious whether it is anglo- or hispanophones who use the term.
© Wordsmith.org