Wordsmith.org
Posted By: twosleepy Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/11/08 12:57 PM
I wish all the wonderful moms on this board a happy, joyful, peaceful day today. For those who are not moms, please take time to love yours today, whether in person, from a distance, or in prayer. Blessings to you all! :0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/11/08 09:11 PM
\:\) The adjective "wonderful" puts a small restriction to whether one may think oneself fit to receive your good wish or not.
I'll tell you and nobody else that I've been an active mother's day boycotter (where does that word come from btw.) ever since I became one. Mainly to avoid getting breakfast in bed. But I count my blessings and one more is always welcome.
Thanks!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/11/08 09:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
I've been an active mother's day boycotter (where does that word come from btw.)

From Charles C. Boycott. Another eponym.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/11/08 10:43 PM
>>Mainly to avoid getting breakfast in bed.

You have that messy tradition in Holland, too?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/11/08 11:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
boycotter (where does that word come from btw.)

Yes as Faldy says, from Captain Boycott. Interestingly, although it is an active/transitive verb, he was the TARGET of the original 'Boycott.' It would have been more logical for it to become a passive verb - "he was boycott by them" - but logic in language development (especially in English) is rather hit and miss.

The Pookwife too hates breakfast in bed - all those messy crumbs and runny yolks in the bedclothes.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Happy Mothers' Day!!! - 05/12/08 02:54 PM
Yes, messy and decadent. Much better to take your mother out for ,to , at, with, or on lunch.
© Wordsmith.org