Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Spizzerinctum - 01/10/08 03:56 AM
Anybody familiar with this site?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Spizzerinctum - 01/10/08 05:19 AM
yes, Kevin Johnson's spizzquiz.net site went dormant in July of '04, and he gave up the domain name two years later. The conceit of his site was to take a legitimate news story and substitute an obscure word for a key word, and then make a quiz out of it -- it was quite a popular gimmick, but he went on to other things after about six years. (at that time Kevin was also a news writer at USA Today.)

here's a link to the surviving spizzquiz archives, courtesy of the wayback machine.

-joe (I have Kevin's Backwords t-shirt) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: Spizzerinctum - 01/10/08 04:07 PM
gimmick?! Sheesh, am I gullible! [smacking forehead e] (FTR: no, I don't believe everything I'm told; but it simply never occurs to me that somebody would do anything like that, without telling people what they're doing.)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Spizzerinctum - 01/10/08 04:43 PM
>gullible

I think that, had you been a regular reader of the spizzquiz, it would not have escaped you that news writers don't use words like that!!

-joe (at least not often enough for a daily quiz) friday

edit: I think that if I culled the spizzerinctum archives I'd have enough material to keep wwftd going another year or so, without resorting to any other sources!

edit² - the backwords tee (note AWAD sale price -- but I doubt these are currently available)

edit³ - JFTR, I've probly used half a dozen really obscure words where Kevin's "citation" was the only recent usage I could find.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Spizzerinctum - 01/12/08 03:19 PM
Thank you, M. [hug]
© Wordsmith.org