Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy bolus - 10/12/07 03:18 AM
like a bolus of saline (anyone who watches TV medical drama knows the word.)
and a bolus is?

it was a clod of earth.. but now it's:

1. A round mass: “A dense bolus of trapped dolphins fills the frame” (Kenneth Browser).
2a. A single, relatively large quantity of a substance, such as a dose of a drug, intended for therapeutic use and taken orally. b. A concentrated mass of a substance administered intravenously for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes.
3. A soft mass of chewed food within the mouth or alimentary canal.

from the American Heritage dictionary.

(thanks Jackie.. feisty got me started!)
Posted By: BranShea Re: bolus - 10/12/07 09:37 AM
This is the bolus (pl.bolussen) + the recipe:

Bolus

Rather sticky and sugar-cinnamon-saturated stuff , but some people like it.
Posted By: of troy Re: bolus - 10/12/07 01:08 PM
i could probably make that (the dutch is close enough to english, i don't think i need a translator..
flour, yeast, milk, ?? butter, an egg, brown sugar, cinnamon,

gist (50gm of gist..) is one that doesn't immediately seem evident. (unless, its wheat germ?)

a raised cinnamon bun or snail.. mmm.. sound good!
Posted By: BranShea Re: bolus - 10/12/07 09:44 PM
Yeast,Helen.I hope you would make them less sticky than they sell them in the shops. Make it a real work of art.

And you are right; many Dutch words that have a long history are very similar to English.That's why old traditional recipes will all be fairly readable to you.
Only the cinnamon = kaneel has a sound-change.

cinnamon
c.1390, from Gk. kinnamomon, from Phoenician word akin to Heb. qinnamon. Stripped from the bark of a tree in the avocado family. Ceylon cinnamon, the true cinnamon, is used in Britain, but American cinnamon is almost always from the related cassia tree of Southeast Asia and is stronger and sweeter.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: bolus - 10/12/07 10:17 PM
so is bolus related to torus?
Posted By: BranShea Re: bolus - 10/14/07 03:45 AM
Yes, I had to look up that word, it is.

1. A ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle.

2. Commonly the lowest molding at the base of a column.

So when Helen's coockies come out right they should have that form. But not the darn stickyness!
© Wordsmith.org