Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra The Simpsons: A joke goes over Hydra's heads - 02/03/07 03:18 AM
Bart, who has decided to divorce his parents, enters a building in which numerous law offices are held. There is a sign next to the elevator showing the company names and floors. The names are all puns, like: "Luvum & Burnham, family law" and so on—all pretty straight forward gags. However, the last one Bart points to, says:

HACKEY, JOKE & DUNNIT

I don't get it.

Edit: The 1 G-hit for this takes you to a German-language forum where one poster has apparently posed the same question and another explained it but, ja, it's all in German:

Quote:

Ein Whodunnit ist (wie du sicher weisst) ein Krimi (who did it), deshalb versteh ich die anderen Namen als brutale Toetungsmoeglichkeiten:

hackey = hacken
Joke = choke = erdrosseln

Don't have a cow, man! [1]

—Elke

[1] For best results, this should be read out loud in a thick German accent (—Hydra).
On the whole? None of it. ???
Goes over mine too, Hydra

The following link isn't of much help but it suggests perhaps the answer would be evident to someone who watches "Meet the Fockers" or could find a way to query Heckles

Well we're gonna get to MEET THE LITTLE FOCKER! -- Ain't It Cool ...Will the Fockers' lawyer be Hacky, Joke & Dunnit? by Heckles...
www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20686
My guess: An public admission that the writers know the play-on-words pseudo-law firms joke has been told way too many times, and that please don't write letters to the editor to complain. There must be a dozen people out there who've never heard of them. Also, a little mystery via nonsequitur is a good thing to keep those of us geeks interested enough a bit busy.
Quote:

My guess: An public admission that the writers know the play-on-words pseudo-law firms joke has been told way too many times, and that please don't write letters to the editor to complain.

That was exactly my take on it too. They have done similarly with many of their in-jokes.
© Wordsmith.org