Wordsmith.org
One native English teacher told us once that the former saying is not right. But I occasionally find some persons use the later usage in writing or in conversation. It seems both are acceptable at this time. Is that so?

Thanks,

Callithump
"It's clear to me" is perfectly good colloquial US English and probably other dialects as well. "I'm clear about that" is not so standard but would be understandable in most if not all contexts.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/05/07 03:47 AM
as in, have I made myself perfectly clear..

dialog from "A Few Good Men":

Jessep: We follow orders, son. We follow orders or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?
Kaffee: Yes sir.
Jessep: Are we clear?
Kaffee: Crystal.

dialog from "My Cousin Vinny":

I don't want to hear explanations. The state of Alabama has a procedure. And that procedure is to have an arraignment. Are we clear on this?
Posted By: Faldage Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/05/07 11:37 AM
Aha! It was the "about" that threw me off. Tsuwm is clear on that.
Also common:
I'm clear on that
a shortened form of
I'm clear on that point (or topic or area or ...)
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/05/07 03:42 PM
The foregoing followups are right on. Summing up, "I'm clear about that" is ambiguous because it can also mean that I'm defending a statement that you have found confusing, while I don't understand your puzzlement
Posted By: Aramis Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/05/07 07:18 PM
Yes, the two phrases smack of being opposite in that the 'clear' term appears to apply to the speaker in one case and the listener in the other. Alles klar?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/06/07 02:13 AM
Alles klar?

Ja, ganz klar ... auf der Andrea Doria.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/06/07 03:48 PM
Aber der Titanic
Posted By: callithump Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 06:07 AM
So, "It's clear to me" means "I have understood what it means" while "I'm clear on that" means "I have made my points clear (so you should have understood)".

And "I'm clear about that" is ambiguous in meaning for it can mean both "I have made clear what you mean" and "I have made clear what I mean". So I would be recommended to avoid using it.

Am I clear on that? And has it been clear to me?

Thansk,

Callithump
Posted By: tsuwm Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 06:19 AM
Quote:

So, "It's clear to me" means "I have understood what it means" while "I'm clear on that" means "I have made my points clear (so you should have understood)".

And "I'm clear about that" is ambiguous in meaning for it can mean both "I have made clear what you mean" and "I have made clear what I mean". So I would be recommended to avoid using it.

Am I clear on that? And has it been clear to me?

Callithump

I don't think there's a scintilla of difference between "It's clear to me." and "I'm clear on that."

"Are we clear" is more like "do we understand each other."
Posted By: Faldage Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 12:46 PM
Quote:

What tsuwm said is good advice. But to expand a little, normally one wouldn't claim to be clear in the "you should have understood" sense. You might ask someone if you are clear in this sense but it is a little presumptuous to claim to have been clear implying that the listener is some sort of idiot for not understanding. One might also say something like "I hope I'm clear on this." It's not so presumptive and it gets the point across.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 03:23 PM
I’m learning English. If you find anywhere I can improve my writing, Please do let me know.

Calli, you're doing just fine. Minor point: "ambiguous in meaning " is redundant
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 03:33 PM
And "I'm clear about that" is ambiguous in meaning for it can mean both "I have made clear what you mean" and "I have made clear what I mean

***Right on, Calli. If you go back over the followups you will see that it can also mean "It's clear to me" and so you should indeed avoid using it

If you find anywhere I can improve my writing, Please do let me know.

***You are doing just fine, perhaps better than I. Minor point: "ambiguous in meaning" is redundant
Posted By: Aramis Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/11/07 07:25 PM
Quote:

I don't think there's a scintilla of difference between "It's clear to me." and "I'm clear on that."

At least two scintillae, Shirley. "It's clear to me" is unambiguous while "I'm clear on that" leans heavily on the context. It could convey understanding or refer to a criminal charge or be part of an animated transparent tape testimonial.
Posted By: callithump Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/12/07 12:19 PM
I think it's not very clear to me again after reading on.

Does "I'm clear on that" mean "I understand that(something you just said) very clear" or "I have said that very clear (so you might have known what I mean)"? The former or the latter?

Thanks,

Callithump
Posted By: Jackie Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/12/07 02:45 PM
The former, Sweetie.

It would be very rare for someone to say "I have made myself clear". Imagine that you are, for example, a teacher or a boss somewhere: no matter how clear YOU think your lesson or instructions have been, it is very likely that at least one person in the group did not understand completely. Therefore, we usually ask, "Have I made myself clear?", rather than announce the "fact" that we have.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/12/07 03:40 PM
calli} Very minor point, but one understands clearly, not clear

English is a tough language and you're still doing ok, don't give up
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/12/07 07:45 PM
The phrase "are we clear on that" is one that would typically be used in the context of a power difference. To use a military setting, a general might say to a major, "Listen, we are not going to invade Crete. The discussion is over and I don't want to hear another word about it. Are we clear on that?" Here the general is expressing some irritation and he's "pulling rank" on his inferior. A major would never use the same expression to his superior the general, unless he wanted to risk being written up for insubordination.

On the other hand, to use the expression "it's clear to me" doesn't necessarily carry the same connotation. It would be perfectly polite for the major to say to the general, "Sir, based on my review of the intelligence, it is clear to me that to invade Sparta would be ill-advised." Here the major is using the phrase to mean that, after review of other material, he has arrived at a conclusion that he feels is sound.
Posted By: callithump Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/13/07 10:26 AM
Thanks, dale.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/13/07 03:31 PM
Why calli, thank you, you seem a very civilized fellow indeed, a standout among the implacably hostile merchants of antagonism

There are a half-dozen other such boards that might be to your advantage. Although protocol forbids me from naming them, try Googling as follows: word phrase origins smith craft wizard finder
Posted By: callithump Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/17/07 12:01 PM
Dale, I just want to thank you for your rectifying my written English.

I know my written English needs polishing and I want it looks better. For it might look like trivial to others, and others might avoid it out of politeness, I don't get much opportunites for others to help with it. So it's rare for me to get any comments and I value comments on my written English very much.

That's why I make out my signature like this.

And should I replace "writing" with "written English"?
Posted By: Zed Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/18/07 11:59 PM
Silly of me. I read your signature line as tell me places to learn better written English rather than, as I now think you intend, to inform you if we see corrections needed in your written English.

I feel the same when I am learning another language - I would rather get a chuckle and a friendly correction than have my mistakes politely overlooked. Occasionally I got outright guffaws but they were usually friendly too.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: "Are we clear?" - 01/19/07 05:42 PM
calli: And should I replace "writing" with "written English"?

***No. However, my reply would depend upon the context

***I am so impressed by your rare and immense civiiy that I would be most pleased to exchange thoughts of any kind at any time, I being dalehileman@verizon.net and don't care who knows it
© Wordsmith.org