Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Hydra A friend in need - 12/09/06 07:09 PM
In which of the following two senses (bold) do you use this expression?

Quote:

Meaning

It is sometimes suggested that this phrase means, 'someone who needs your help becomes friendly in order to obtain it', That isn't supported by the derivation though (below). Most people understand it to mean, 'someone who helps you when you are in need is a true friend'.

Origin

A version of this proverb was known by the 3rd century BC. Quintus Ennius wrote: 'Amicu certus in re incerta cernitur'. This translates from the Latin as 'a sure friend is known when in difficulty'.

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations lists it as existing in English from the 11th century. The earliest version I can find is from Caxton's Sonnes of Aymon, 1489:

"It is sayd, that at the nede the frende is knowen."

The morality play Everyman also contains similar lines. The play's date is uncertain and scholars place it a 'late 15th century', which could be before Caxton's work:

Fellowship: Sir, I say as I will do in deed.
Everyman: Then be you a good friend at need;

Posted By: Jackie Re: A friend in need - 12/09/06 07:54 PM
The second one.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A friend in need - 12/09/06 08:40 PM
the proverb tells the story: a friend in need is a friend indeed.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: A friend in need - 12/09/06 10:17 PM
Yeah, like Jackie (who's helped me when I was in need) and tsuwm (who helps all of us in our need for worthless words) said.

A couple of commas to set off in need would make the expression much more understandable.
Posted By: ParkinT Re: A friend in need - 12/12/06 09:00 PM
"Friends help you move.
REAL friends help you move....bodies"
© Wordsmith.org