Wordsmith.org
Posted By: finaleyes bodacious - 11/06/06 04:55 PM
In the midst of impeachment proceedings, Bill Clinton gave a State of the Union address. Republicans sat on their hands and refused to applaud him, but Clinton went on in his optimistic, cheery manner. I thought the republicans looked like a bunch of curmudgeons, so I named them the curmublicans.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: bodacious - 11/06/06 09:04 PM
Hi Finaleyes.

I'd think that portmanteau would have very limited use; not a good portend for its acceptance and general use.

It definitely wouldn't be clear to people outside of the U.S. since we do not have the same names for our politicians. Once you explain it, I'm still not sure that people would use it to describe the Republicans since the antagonism between the Republicans and Democrats is a U.S. thing (I mean, why insult the Republicans as a whole when it is the policies of the party in power - Republican or Democrat - that generally tend to antagonize other countries?)

The Republicans certainly wouldn't use it so that eliminates a chunk of U.S. folks.

I'd assume, out of political politeness that the Democrats would try not to use it.

Sadly, and perhaps a comment on the state of our education, I don't believe that a great percentage of the population knows what a curmudgeon is.
Posted By: Zed Re: bodacious - 11/09/06 12:03 AM
The battle of the CURmublicans and the DemoCATs. Who knows, it could replace the pollical dogs and jellicle cats.

For me I like the definition of politics that I heard once. "To understand a word you need to know its component parts. Poly is a math term meaning many and tics are blood-sucking insects."

PS Welcome aboard Finaleyes.
© Wordsmith.org