Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 01:50 PM
Repeatedly in the past I've broached the subject of finding the earliest use of an expr without resorting to paid sites, such as the logophile uses to great advantage over us cheapskates

Meantime however, I ran across this Google algorithm...

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?hl=en&tab=wn&q=

...which permits you not only to only to search old news but to place the hits in chronological order. I wonder whether you also might not find it useful for the purpose
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 01:56 PM
I'm single.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 02:11 PM
Shoot, Dale, I had my hopes up: I'd wanted to read about a local scandal from the '70's, but a.) the listings didn't go back that far, and b.), I got:

Note: Searching is always free. There is a $2.95 fee to view the full-text of any article.

Don't think I'll bookmark this one.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 02:44 PM
I dated a neologism once. I was supposed to get her home by midnight, and when I failed to do so, her father took me aside and had a word with me.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 03:33 PM
Jackie: But they do. Possibly this service is under development and so they're still working on it. Meanwhile I've invoked here hits referencing from the 1800's

Incidentally, depending on your purposes, it's helpful to use the Advanced News Archive Search, placing the dot in "Show Timeline"

So you may wish to reconsider booking it or ensconcing it in Faves
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dating the neologism - 10/27/06 04:20 PM
> hits referencing from the 1800's

there were web pages during the 1800s?
Posted By: musick Something for nothing ain't free - 10/27/06 08:32 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/is_google_legal/
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Something for nothing ain't free - 10/27/06 09:15 PM
musik: Thanks for that link, interesting
© Wordsmith.org