Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow Love your local library - 03/10/01 07:22 PM
As I sit here pondering, held house captive by deep, early March snows, I think of warmer climes, then thoughts wander to travelling and a thought pops into my head. (Will wonders never cease!)

When you travel to a foreign country, pick up a dictionary of the country's language : Italian-English, English-American, Hindi-English, German-English and give it to your local free library for its reference room.
U.S.Librarians are always pleased, I have found. Perhaps this relates to the paucity of second language speakers and language courses in schools discussed elsewhere. Don't know.
Good news: Last time I checked there is no custom's duty on books brought into USA by citizens coming home from abroad. Might be tax deduction, too as gift!
(Giving embarrassed squeaky toot on her own horn she said) I gave my library an Hawaiian English one and hope pehaps to snag an Irish-English one for them before too long either myself or through niece who plans Ireland visit in June.
Oh, and I mean the kind that are, for example, Spanish/English plus English/Spanish type.
Otherwise not much use!

Comments please? Good idea? Or not? Would this be feasible in countries outside USA? Let's hear from y'all!
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Love your local library - 03/10/01 08:21 PM
One thing few libraries have is any significant help with the pronunciation of foreign words and names. It drives me nuts to read stories with Gaelic and Welsh names, with no clue as to pronunciation of the names with many silent consonants.
A simple example: the famous Irish sword-fighting queen was named Meb. I'll bet few Americans, even with Irish ancestors recognize it, even though they may have seen it Anglicised.

© Wordsmith.org