Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Parse this! - 06/20/06 01:57 PM
or, Bad Headlines Redux:

Angelina Jolie in Namibia ban calls

http://tinyurl.com/fsk4u
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Parse this! - 06/20/06 02:52 PM
Anna: This was a real puzzler to an old guy on the verge of senility as my first reaction was to assume that while she was having the baby, the couple banned incoming telephone calls and thus it should have been "bans"

But then it slowly dawned that "ban calls" is an adjective and the headline means that there were calls for the couple to be banned from the country

This is a very important distinction and everyone should be immediately apprised
Posted By: Aramis Re: Parse this! - 06/20/06 06:06 PM
Perhaps it was: ANGELINA JOLIE, IN NAMIBIA BAN, CALLS.
An actress shunned by a particular African country went missing for a while and checked in over the telephone.
Posted By: Bingley Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 04:24 AM
It took a while, but I imagine there is a film or TV programme called Angelina Jolie in Namibia, that various people would like to be banned.

Although not particularly interested in Ms. Jolie's holiday snaps, and I must admit I haven't seen them, I don't see why they should be banned.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 09:29 AM
The article calls for a ban on Angelina Jolie's presence in Namibia. To parse the line we have to look at it thusly:

Code:

(Angelina Jolie in Namibia) (ban) (calls)
adv phrase modifiying => nom. adj noun

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 11:12 AM
Poor Angelina. If Namibia doesn't want her, she can always come live at my house.
Posted By: nancyk Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 03:16 PM
How about:

Angelina-Jolie-in-Namibia-ban calls

Even having read the article, I can't wrap my mind around this headline - anyone else care to explain? (Sorry, Faldage, I didn't get your explanation )
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 04:42 PM
Quote:

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt should be banned from Namibia, say charity campaigners.

a very poorly written hed.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 06:01 PM
Quote:

Poor Angelina. If Namibia doesn't want her, she can always come live at my house.

Oooo, you're gonna be in sooo much trouble with Mrs R. for that one.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: partes orationis - 06/21/06 06:52 PM
I thought the purpose of headlines was to draw the reader in. In that case, ambiguous headlines work twice as hard.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Parse this! - 06/21/06 11:54 PM
Quote:

(Sorry, Faldage, I didn't get your explanation )

I was afraid it wasn't all that clear.

How about Calls were made to declare a ban on Angelina Jolie's presence in Namibia.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Parse this! - 06/22/06 11:20 AM
that's it.
Posted By: nancyk Re: Parse this! - 06/22/06 12:38 PM
Ah. Then my hyphened version really wasn't far off. Thanks! Doesn't help that both ban and calls can be either noun or verb.
Posted By: Marianna Re: Parse this! - 06/22/06 07:45 PM
Nah-ah... y'all got it really really wrong... these are instructions from the Namibian Secret Service to all telecommunications officers:

"Angelina Jolie in Namibia; ban calls!"

... which was then reported by the media:

"Angelina Jolie in; Namibia ban calls"

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Parse this! - 07/31/06 12:28 AM
No, no, no: it's all about the underarm deodorant brand Ban, and its maker trying to get Jolie to appear in an ad campaign.

Angelin Jolie in Namibia; Ban calls.

People get really sweaty in those African countries.
© Wordsmith.org