Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Word Fugitives - 05/09/06 01:29 AM
A new book looks at hip neologisms that the author claims will never make the dictionary (my favorite, here, is yakass, referring to those folks who are forever strolling around with a cell-phone glued to their ear ) :

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256942
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Word Fugitives - 05/11/06 10:38 AM
Words for visting the fridge over and over from the link:

cold comfort, refrigerator magnetism, smorgasboredom, freonnui, stirvation, procrastifrigeration, bored chilly, expiration dating, Frigistaire, sub-zero interest, fridgety

... clearly these same people also have a strong need to label their repetitive behaviour. Is there a word for the incessant creation of countless neologisms to describe something? Can I have 400 suggestions, please!:-) I do like 'expiration dating' though.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Word Fugitives - 05/11/06 04:36 PM
I don't think neologism is really the word to describe such witty wordplay as "pandephonium" (the confusion that results when a cell phone rings and nobody knows whose it is) and "smorgasboredom." To use these words in everyday conversation would be to wear out a joke.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Word Fugitives - 05/12/06 01:25 AM
Is there a word for the incessant creation of countless neologisms to describe something? Can I have 400 suggestions, please!:-) I do like 'expiration dating' though.

neologuising...?
Posted By: Marianna Re: Word Fugitives - 05/14/06 07:57 AM
Neologeny?
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Word Fugitives - 05/14/06 02:32 PM
How about taking the German approach: Makingupnewwordsforthingsthatotherwisewouldn'thavewordstodescribethemism?
Posted By: wsieber Re: Word Fugitives - 05/20/06 01:16 PM
neologorrhea would be shorter
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: fuga verba - 05/20/06 01:23 PM
How about glossodromic?
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Word Fugitives - 05/20/06 08:48 PM
Quote:

neologorrhea would be shorter

Yes, but concatenation of the words is so ... oh, I dunno, cathartic, in a way!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Word Fugitives - 05/21/06 03:50 PM
Think they can be called portmanteau, blend, infixes, and SNIGLETS
© Wordsmith.org