Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Missionary position - 04/25/06 11:53 AM
I thought an occasional post from the world of corporate psychobabble might be droll (or at least salutary!)

Here to get the idea started is some prime crap from Sith Efrica:

A broadcasting culture for ‘total citizen empowerment’ is the new objective of the South African Broadcasting Corporation, as it shifts from "an inward-orientated, self-assessing entity to become a people-centered broadcaster able to fully meet the challenges it faces in the context of a rapidly-changing environment".

Maybe we should run it through babelfish a few rinse cycles to see if it makes more or less sense?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 12:51 PM
How can anyone or anything be inward-orienTATed? Are they going to get lost in there, or what?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 03:10 PM
Thank you for that, Mav. Meanwhile (this is at least 10 years old but still serves its purpose as a stimulant for meeting-doomed cubicle-dwellers):

http://www.petdance.com/bingo/
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 04:06 PM
ooh, gotta leverage me some repurposed middleware.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 10:00 PM
Quote:

"an inward-orientated, self-assessing entity to become a people-centered broadcaster able to fully meet the challenges it faces in the context of a rapidly-changing environment".

Sure, it's full of babble but it makes perfect sense to me. It's describing a change from an entity that is concerned only with its concept of itself to one that is concerned with its audience.
Posted By: maverick Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 10:39 PM
It may be so Fong. But the words don't say so.

Or to put it another way (which may or may not mean the same thing):

The integrated knowledge base acquires synergy from the stakeholder-leveraged drill down, but this technology-driven mindshare has no strategic fit with market driven deliverables which will dictate total quality.

Thanks for a reminder of that site, ASp - that's just what I need for a meeting on Thursday run by my loquacious MD...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Missionary position - 04/25/06 11:13 PM
Only afta ya productize your API.
Posted By: musick Let's just make it a quickie - 04/30/06 06:34 PM
"...meet the challenges it faces in the context of a rapidly-changing environment".

Sounds like "fighting fires" to me.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Missionary position - 05/04/06 05:26 PM
Yes, no discussion of corporate psychobabble is complete without mentioning 'synergy'.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: hissy fits posed - 05/05/06 12:18 AM
"en de tois hêmerois kai phronimôterois diêrthrôtai mallon phainontai gar mallon boêtheiai ginomenai kai eunoiai kai sunergiai allêlois"

"In tame animals, on the other hand, and those which possess a greater share of intelligence, it has assumed a more complex form; for in their case we see more examples of mutual help, goodwill, and co-operation."

[Aristotle Economics 1343b17; transl. by G.C. Armstrong]

Synergy as good will and cooperation sounds like a close fit to standard corporatespeak meaning. Aristotle goes on to write about " It is, however, in the human species that this complexity is most marked; since the co-operation [sunergia] between woman and man aims not merely at existence, but at a happy existence."
© Wordsmith.org