Wordsmith.org
"So we will fight them in Iraq. We will fight them across the world, we will stay in the fight until the fight is won." -- excerpt from Bush's speech last week (transcript)

"We shall fight on the beaches. We shall fight on the landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields, and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!" -- excerpt from Winston Churchill's 1941 Dunkirk speech

Some interesting discrepencies between CNN and The Times. The Times quote went: "We will fight them in Iraq. We will them across the world, we will stay and fight until the fight has been won." -- timesonline
Posted By: Alex Williams Churchill speech - 03/27/06 09:31 PM
I read an interesting thing once about that speech given by Churchill. If I recall it was in the book The Story of English, in a chapter concerning the Anglo-Saxon roots of the language. Every word in that speech (or maybe just that famous section, I dunno) was Anglo-Saxon derived except for one, which was the "surrender."

You might say that as orators go, Bush suffers in comparison.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Churchill speech - 03/27/06 09:37 PM
Quote:

Every word in that speech (or maybe just that famous section, I dunno) was Anglo-Saxon derived except for one, which was the "surrender."

A sort of verbose "F**k off, Krauts!"?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Churchill speech - 03/28/06 07:46 PM
"krauts" must be an American idiomatic, no?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Churchill speech - 03/28/06 08:02 PM
Quote:

"krauts" must be an American idiomatic, no?

I substituted it for the more British "Jerry" in the interests of increased transpondian comprehension.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Churchill speech - 03/28/06 08:08 PM
Silly me, didn't even have my transponder on.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Churchill speech - 03/29/06 01:00 AM
Around here you have to transpond as fast as you can just to stay in one place
Posted By: Jackie Re: transpond as fast as you can - 03/29/06 01:47 AM
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: transpond as fast as you can - 03/29/06 01:56 AM
beam me up, Scotty.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Churchill speech - 03/29/06 05:16 AM
During the Second World War, Americans continued to eat sauerkraut but deprived it of its Germanity by calling it "liberty cabbage."
Posted By: Salad_Dressing Re: Churchill speech - 03/29/06 09:08 AM
ha! like the french fries now called "freedom" fries
They are obsessed with being free etc! it is quite odd, not the desire for freedom, but the american obsession with continually saying they are free and good etc.. is a bot like they're reassuring themselves
Posted By: Jackie Re: Churchill speech - 03/29/06 01:23 PM
continually saying they are free and good etc.. is a bot like they're reassuring themselves
No. It is a way of saying/reminding how thankful we are.
Posted By: Owlbow Thankful, hopeful - 03/29/06 02:05 PM
I've only left the USA once - for about 8 hours, so I guess one might call me an "American", even though I was born in Paterson N.J., through no choice of my own. (tongue in cheek). I love this country, even NJ! I now live in the state of Rhode Island, which is both one of mind and geographic delineation. I'd love to travel if I had the resourses - maybe some day...
I like a good French fry, if it's not too greasy, with a little ketchup or vinegar. I make a pretty decent slice of French toast too. I despise the term "Freedom Fry" or any other jingoistic idiocy. My own desperate desire for freedom is rooted in the respect that I have for my dead Father and Father-in-law and the deep love that I own for my wife and children, not in some perverse obsession with being superior to anyone, in control of anything beyond my own sphere of family and small community. I hope, wish and work for peace in the whole world in my tiny, possibly pitiful and insignificant way. This is all I can do just now. Those men, my fathers, both suffered severe mental and physical damage in WWII. This doesn’t make them heroes, but the liberation that they helped enable was and is a good thing. This may differ from my country’s current international involvement. This is not the place for that discussion.
Every person that I know is not like me. Each of them is not like any other. I work with people from many parts of the world, and they all lust for kindness, comfort, joy, sanctuary and real love, whether they overtly reveal this to me or not. I am the same.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 12:26 AM
Well said, OB.
Posted By: themilum Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 01:27 AM
Quote:

...Those men, my fathers, both suffered severe mental and physical damage in WWII. This doesn’t make them heroes, but the liberation that they helped enable was and is a good thing.

"...was and is a...good thing".

Well, owlbow, the dead and maimed will be pleased to know that their sacrifice for the well being of others did not make them heroes but that you think that they did a "good thing".

Quote:

This may differ from my country’s current international involvement. This is not the place for that discussion.

Be advised, owlbow, this is not your country. This is "others" country too and it is not your call to say here your politics and then imperially declare that this is not the place for "that" discussion.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 01:31 AM
back off, Milo.
Posted By: themilum Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 01:43 AM
Back off from what, etaoin?

Was that a wee tidbit of etaoin's heartfelt advice or was that a threat?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 02:01 AM
you've tossed out enough of your politics, you can let someone else's slide by.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 02:27 AM
Or the converse:

Over the urinal at the school where I learned to fly a Cessna was a sign that read "Pilots with low manifold pressure taxi closer."
Posted By: consuelo Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 03:09 AM
And please remember that the women appreciate it when you raise your flaps and lower them in the proper sequence.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Thankful, hopeful - 03/31/06 06:29 PM
>>>I hope, wish and work for peace in the whole world in my tiny, possibly pitiful and insignificant way.

Sometimes I feel that way too. I've no illusion of grandeur, and know that I am but one small stitch in a tapestry too large to see.

This is why I feel inspired by this place. The fact that we have members from all over the world, and get along, makes me think that we are all contributing to the enlightenment; the realization that we all have to put on our pants one leg at a time, we all need to eat and poop and have the same basics needs, so we are not so foreign after all.
© Wordsmith.org