Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Logwood Scientology - 01/31/06 05:46 PM
I was watching a "South Park" episode today that ridicules Scientology (you can view it freely here --> http://www.youtube.com/w/Scientomogy%3A-...t%20Scientology, including some more Scientology-related stuff)

Well, it was really interesting to me, since a several years ago I had a personal math teacher who is a tremedously passionate Scientologist. Each class he tried to sway the subject from math to Scientology (he didn't really seem to care about getting my parents permission). But I didn't mind that, I was actually pleased since I hated math (still do). So I did end up studying Scientology a number of times, and I actually enjoyed some of the stuff he taught me (to "study how to study", and the "priciples of good communication"). I didn't really thought of it as a "religion" at that time, just some basic life lessons. It was later I found out it was more of a philosophy/cult, or even religion, if you will, with deep (idiotic) beliefs. Turns out this guy was actually the COE to everything Scientology-related in Israel. Which makes sense, since he couldn't stop talking about it. And whenever I happen to see him nowadays, he still, every time, tries to coax me to attend a meeting. All throughout this episode I kept wondering what'd he say if he seen it...

Well, I hope this is not considered a "prohibited anti-religion topic".
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Scientology - 01/31/06 05:59 PM
As explained to me by one of its members, Scientology started out a cult but registered as a religion for tax avoidance
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Scientology - 01/31/06 07:44 PM
I lived in downtown Toronto in the seventies, and regularly walked past the Scientology building on Yonge Street, but turned down their repeated invitations to enter. My husband went once (before I knew him) but left when he was asked for unconditional obedience to something, or someone. Sum total of my experience. Rumours abound.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Scientology - 01/31/06 08:16 PM
I was wandering around Ann Arbor one day in 1973(?) when I was approached by Scientologists. I listened to them for awhile, but wandered on mumbling some kind of excuse...my sum of experience, other than reading the novel published by L Ron Hubbard.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Scientology - 01/31/06 09:35 PM
Quote:

other than reading the novel published by L Ron Hubbard.

the novel?
Posted By: consuelo Re: Scientology - 01/31/06 10:31 PM
I only read one. It was about 3 miles thick and classified as sci-fi. I can't remember the name of it and I don't retain what I read for fun. While I'm reading, I'm thoroughly engrossed. A month later, I couldn't tell you much about it. Saves me money on books. I just reread them a year or two later and promptly forget them again.
Possibly another Urban Legend, but I read "somewhere once" then L Ron Hubbard, then only an SF writer, boasted to a bar buddy that he could write a religion and people would believe it. And after a bit of Oh yeah, put up or shut up - he did, and they did, and now here we are...

Anybody confirm or refute?
I can confirm that it was a whackadoodle idea of mine that I expostulated on here time back way back. Has it advanced to UL?
Yes wofahulicodoc, the conversation you remember was reported in a monthly Science Fiction magazine back in the fifties.

Back then Scientology was advertized in the inset pages of Comic Books and hard core science fiction aficionados considered him and his message a sad, sad, joke.

People were smarter back then.
Quote:

the conversation you remember was reported in a monthly Science Fiction magazine back in the fifties.

There I go again.
"There I go again."
________ ________

Faldage, like L.Ron Hubbard, you are incorrigible.

Why don't you put a initial in front of your name and start a church of no-holds-barred, free-wheeling Discriptionism.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Discriptionism - 02/01/06 12:00 PM
Yeah! Good idea, Mr. Minderbinder. I can get me a bunch of discriples and be off and running. Wanna be the first?
Posted By: Owlbow safe & effective - 02/01/06 02:18 PM
Good idea, but,
From Wikipedia:
In Frank Zappa's rock-opera album Joe's Garage the main character Joe is at one point seeking for advice from L. Ron Hoover of the First Church of Appliantology, who directs him to a lifestyle of having sex with robotic lovers.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Harlan Ellison - 02/01/06 02:27 PM

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/ellison-hubbard.htm
Posted By: belMarduk Re: safe & effective - 02/01/06 02:28 PM
>>>....having sex with robotic lovers.

Well. Being machinery and all, they do have to be kept pretty lubrified.

[skipping off to the gutter-e]
Posted By: inselpeter Re: safe & effective - 02/01/06 04:24 PM
Quote:

Good idea, but,
From Wikipedia:
In Frank Zappa's rock-opera album Joe's Garage the main character Joe is at one point seeking for advice from L. Ron Hoover of the First Church of Appliantology, who directs him to a lifestyle of having sex with robotic lovers.

Do not look to the future; the future is here.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: safe & effective - 02/01/06 04:49 PM

"Joe's Garage"

I don't like Frank Zappa, but I can't help being a fan of his music. This is among my favorites. "The White Zone is for loading and unloading. If you have to load or unload, please go to the white zone."
Posted By: consuelo Re: safe & effective - 02/02/06 11:37 AM
"He was such a nice boy, he used to cut my grass..."

And who could ever forget them Catholick Gurls?
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: safe & effective - 02/03/06 01:02 PM
With their tiny little mustaches?

I also like the one that comes after that on the album.

And the last one. Nothin' better than Zappa when you're just hanging out with the guys, drinking and shooting the, er, breeze. (Well ... maybe inagodadavida)
Posted By: inselpeter Re: safe & effective - 02/03/06 03:00 PM
Searching for Bobby Brown
Posted By: Logwood Re: safe & effective - 02/03/06 07:48 PM
Thanks the stories guys. Anyone watched the episode though? I thought it was hilarious.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: safe & effective - 02/08/06 12:21 AM
But getting back to the thread, isn't it remarkable the appeal of something--anything--to which the lone and bewildered individual may attach hiself
Posted By: Owlbow Re: safe & effective - 02/08/06 02:04 PM
I did see the SP episode. I thought it was funny.

Quote:

to which the lone and bewildered individual may
attach hiself

Yeah, like Frank Zappa or Sun Myung Moon.

But on the serious side, the affiliation can be very harmful to the needy one. It's hard to be sceptical when your world is falling apart.
© Wordsmith.org