Wordsmith.org
(From this week's Plain English E-mail:)

As you may know, the Government used the Parliament Act this week to bring the Hunting Bill into law. (The Parliament Act allows the House of Commons to override the decisions of the House of Lords in certain circumstances.) The complicated back-and-forth process of suggested amendments to the bill ended in a particularly memorable exchange in the Commons.

Mr Speaker: I have to inform the House that a message has been brought from the Lords as follows:

"The Lords insist on their amendments to the Hunting Bill, to which the Commons have insisted on their disagreement, for which insistence they assign their reasons. They insist on their amendments to which the Commons have disagreed, for which insistence they assign their reasons, and they disagree to the amendment proposed by the Commons in lieu of the Lords amendments, for which disagreement they assign their reasons."

Honourable Members (shouting): Explain.

Mr Speaker: I read these messages; I don't understand them.

Posted By: wow Re: I couldn't fail to disagree with you less - 11/19/04 05:04 PM

Makes perfect sense to me.

Makes sense to me, too, but 'they' could have used an editor! It's all a question of antecedents.

Posted By: AniamL Re: I couldn't fail to disagree with you less - 11/20/04 01:37 AM
I was not unconfused by no statements not mentioned in your post. ... I think I just said that nothing in the world confuses me. Oh well.

"It is a sobering thought that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years." -Tom Lehrer
Posted By: TEd Remington It's all a question of antecedents. - 11/20/04 08:05 AM
Particularly in the House of Lords!

House of Lords

now we know how many holes it takes to fill the

© Wordsmith.org