Wordsmith.org
Posted By: lore Don't drink and drive - 10/01/04 10:51 AM
Some time ago here in Germany, we had a rather confusing "Don't drink and drive"-campaign. The government had large signs put up along motorways, reading "Bei Alkohol, Hände weg vom Steuer", which translates roughly as "With alcohol, don't touch the wheel". The very least one should expect from drunken drivers is to leave their hands on the wheel...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Don't drink and drive - 10/01/04 11:26 AM
Here in the USA we used to have an ad slogan: Alcohol and gasoline don't mix.

The response was: Dang right! I tried it once and it tastes terrible.

Posted By: jheem Re: Don't drink and drive - 10/01/04 03:00 PM
"Bei Alkohol, Hände weg vom Steuer"

I thought it meant "Don't tax my hands, buy alcohol." Isn't it amazing that 'tax, duty' and 'rudder, steering wheel' are synonyms in German.

Posted By: varaha Re: Don't drink and drive - 10/01/04 04:39 PM
synonyms

Ach, du, du, du ... You mean, of course, homonyms. Das Homonym, and not das Synonym. And while we're at it, you've confused your genders, Quatschkopp. Die Steuer is a taxing woman, but das Steuer is a neutral steering. Got it? Ach!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Don't drink and drive - 10/01/04 05:05 PM
Viele Grüße, lore, und willkomen. That's a wonderful example! I'll try to think of some others...

(aside to varaha: you're such a card.)

Posted By: Faldage Re: jheem v. varaha - 10/01/04 11:04 PM
Don't be getting all natty on us, nuncle.

Posted By: jheem Re: higher, O fancy! - 10/01/04 11:17 PM
Don't be getting all natty on us

Don't you be paying 'em no nevermind, Varaha!

Posted By: of troy Re: Don't drink and drive - 10/02/04 02:25 AM
Huh? (blue]Die Steuer is a taxing woman)

Every good movie lover knows, A Taxing Woman is Japanese, not German..

Hai!?

Posted By: jheem Re: enigmatically - 10/02/04 12:25 PM
Every good movie lover knows, A Taxing Woman is Japanese, not German.

B-but, Japanese is German! It was psiendifficultly proofed by Professor Hirohito von Grippsz, dressage tutor to Kaiserin Katerin von Rußland. You say hai, and I say ja. (One is just the other backwards cipherlike.)

Posted By: Faldage Re: enigmatically - 10/02/04 03:14 PM
Wull, then, the German would be Namow Ngiskat A, then, wouldn't it?

Posted By: varaha Re: numismagically - 10/02/04 04:16 PM
Namow Ngiskat A

No, not necessarily, that's the English title backyards. Marusa no onna backwards is anno on asuram which is akshilly Latino-Sanskrit for 'I run rings 'round yer hermitage' or 'grip hold've this'. (Not the syntactically misplaced, third apostrophe in both. That stands epicac [sic].)

BTW, what's that stuffy, boys' lockerroom smell that's wafting over from the thickpated part of town cross the tracks? Talk about yer w(h)acking off circle Jerks. Leastways no CT ever called me a maroon.

Posted By: jheem Re: numismagically - 10/02/04 04:19 PM
Nota bene, you mean note not not. O che sciagura ...

© Wordsmith.org