Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu capacious sottisier - 02/15/04 05:26 PM
http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.aspx?story_id=2106395

Mumbo!

Posted By: Jackie Re: capacious sottisier - 02/16/04 02:59 PM
Whew, I can't tell whether the writer is more praising the book or venting spleen. But, One of the skills required of a journalist these days is the ability to shout across Downing Street at persons entering Number 10 does seem to verify my guess that this source is the London Times.

I like this: As a category, mumbo-jumbo is highly elastic. True! I guess most peoples' beliefs are probably seen as mumbo-jumbo by somebody, somewhere.

Posted By: Capfka Re: capacious sottisier - 02/16/04 09:05 PM
does seem to verify my guess that this source is the London Times.

Could actually be any one of a dozen or more papers. Including The Times, of course, but since Murdoch took them over they prefer making it up to asking questions

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: capacious sottisier - 02/16/04 09:28 PM
The Reagans inevitably receive stick for trafficking in astrology;

receive stick? I think I understand, but haven't heard this grammarization...

Posted By: Capfka Re: capacious sottisier - 02/16/04 09:59 PM
Ah well, you should probably stick to American publications, then ...

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: capacious sottisier - 02/17/04 01:04 AM
Among the tainted areas he parades for scorn, and variously warranted full of “obscurist bunkum”, “swirling hogwash” and “mendacious codswallop”, are: the fundamentalist anti-Western doctrines of Islam; the surviving belief in creationism; the New Age voodoo practices of a counter-Enlightenment....

Sounds great! I looked up this book on Amazon and it appears to have a slightly different title than in the review (perhaps a diff. title for U.S. market?)-- Shooting Out the Lights : A Short History of Modern Delusions. see http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2A726E67

Posted By: shanks Re: capacious sottisier - 02/17/04 07:19 PM
Eta

'Get stick' is more common, but then The Times Literary Supplement would hardly be likely to use a common (pun intended) word like 'get'.

Wonder where the idiom came from, though.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

© Wordsmith.org