Wordsmith.org
Posted By: moss smacktard - 09/11/03 12:36 AM
A smacktard ... is a lousy gamer whose actions constantly undermine the success of his team

http://www.boston.com/ae/media/articles/2003/09/10/dont_be_a_smacktard_buff_your_geekspeak/

The writer says we should all buff up on this lexicon because computer gaming will replace movies as the dominant entertainment choice of the future.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: smacktard - 09/11/03 12:55 AM
I guess, as a teacher, I always get a bit uptight about the use of "retard" in any context, and this is no different, but it was a good article, and brought me up to speed on some of the jargon. and I didn't have to post any naive questions! thanks, moss.

Posted By: Jackie Re: smacktard - 09/11/03 01:24 AM
As in, he gets... ?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: smacktard - 09/11/03 09:37 AM
no, as in smack the retard.

Posted By: Jackie Re: smacktard - 09/11/03 12:28 PM
Is it really? What a shame. Yes, . Smacked hard would have been so much better.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: smacktard - 09/11/03 01:05 PM

I agree. The one that kept coming up in Yahoo literati lounges was "fucktard."
I heard this term used 30 years ago - long before most people ever heard of the Internet and yet there were people in there arguing that they had actually "invented" it. I'm not offended by profanity. I'm not even offended by "offensive speech." But I'm pretty annoyed that so much of the language is repetitive and devoid of meaning. When a word means everything, it means nothing.

There's some interesting stuff coming out of the MMOG Planetside - zerg, for example. The zerg is the crowd of avatars constituting the main body of the attack. Also, planetside, a "noob" is the correct jargon for "newbie."

Back in Literati land, a "grammer" is a kind of cheater who uses "anagramming software" like "literati buddy" to find words from your tiles.

On Undernet MIRC, in the #trivia channel, you can bet "permabanned" for even mentioning any form of the word "decode." A decoder is a program that watches the channel, learns the questions and answers, and then is used later to cheat.

Lotta different ways that people have of cheating on the net.

Anyway, interesting article.

k

© Wordsmith.org