Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Canis Domesticus Babel fish game - 06/29/03 09:48 AM
Okay, fellows, I've been playing around with Babel Fish, and here is the final result: "If they are less impossible, to most probably eliminate, these remainders must be the truth."

Whoever guesses the original phrase I typed submits their own phrase.

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/29/03 09:55 AM
Eliminating the impossible: This is probably the most famous of Sherlockian quotations. It appears in six different adventures in slightly different format:

1. Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth. (SIGN)
2. How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? (SIGN)
3. It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (BERY)
4. When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (BLAN)
5. We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (BRUC)
6. It is impossible as I state it, and therefore I must in some respect have stated it wrong. (PRIO)
7. Improbable as it is, all other explanations are more improbable still. (SILV)

Posted By: Canis Domesticus Re: Babel fish game - 06/29/03 10:10 AM
Yeah, I somehow managed to delete a line saying that was probably easy. Interesting game though, I thought.

Your turn.

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/29/03 06:33 PM
OK, this one should be reasonably easy too:

To be leads at that moment to the patriotic subject in dangerous
parasite to Biology, before the wake psycopathic destruction of the direction and

Posted By: wofahulicodoc fishing - 06/30/03 09:56 AM
Would that be

2 B V ~ 2 B ... (to use an old symbolic logic notation)
and going on a line or three ?

(For newer members - check out http://www.wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=95744
for information about Babelfishing)
Posted By: sjm Re: fishing - 06/30/03 10:23 AM
Nope, not Will, its GBS

Posted By: Faldage Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 12:05 PM
...destruction of the direction and

And...? And? And???

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 12:08 PM
>...destruction of the direction and
And...? And? And???

Don't blame me, that's how it came out of Babel.

Posted By: maverick Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 09:26 PM
While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth?

Gessin, bro :)

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 09:52 PM
I ran the phrase through several times, back and forth from the Asian languages, trying to get rid of the two dead giveaway words that persisted in every European language version. I did not totally succeed, so if you mind your p's and q's you'll get there.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 10:11 PM
Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy.
-GBS

Posted By: maverick Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 10:18 PM
You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.

/awake

edit: yep, Mike's da man. Definitely time for bed!

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 10:29 PM
Thanks, tsuwm. I do believe the babel baton is yours now.

Posted By: sjm Re: Babel fish game - 06/30/03 10:32 PM
>You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.

Not quite, but thanks for giving me another one for my collection.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Babel fish game - 07/01/03 01:50 AM
Its critical time you it do not go place there that you she is.

this is one of those banal phrases that may be improved by several passes through the fish. <g>

© Wordsmith.org