Wordsmith.org
Posted By: lapsus linguae quick question - 04/30/03 01:06 AM
what's the only word in the English language that contains 3 pairs of double letters in a row?

Posted By: Bingley Re: quick question - 04/30/03 04:15 AM
bookkeeping. Why do you ask?

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: quick question - 04/30/03 05:44 AM
Bingley,

Did you know that off the top of your head?

Another question:

We've had these kinds of word/letter questions before. Is there a web page that pretty much stores them all for quick reference?

Posted By: Bingley Re: quick question - 04/30/03 06:20 AM
I remembered it from it having been pointed out before, but whether it was here or somewhere else I forget.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: quick question - 04/30/03 10:15 AM
the only word

Or either bookkeeper. Is that a different word? There is no word bookkeep, far as I know.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: quick question - 04/30/03 12:36 PM
I just checked Onelook. Bookkeep is not listed as an entry in any of their over 800 references. Both bookkeeping and bookkeeper are listed.

tsuwm could check the OED for bookkeep just to firm up the final decision...hint...

Posted By: Faldage Re: quick question - 04/30/03 12:38 PM
This question has come up in the Great Eskimo Snow Debate. What counts as a word?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc just keeping the books straight - 04/30/03 01:35 PM
Did you know that off the top of your head?

Probably. Among puzzle-conscious people it's encountered very early. (First runner-up: committee, which has one degree of separation)

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: quick question - 04/30/03 02:03 PM

A general site is:
http://rec-puzzles.org/ and follow the language link to

http://rec-puzzles.org/language.html

It doesn't list this particular puzzle, but as Wofa said, some puzzles are so common repeated, you just blurt the answer before the inquiry is finished.

k

Posted By: Faldage Re: quick question - 04/30/03 02:29 PM
The english/pleonasm link listed AC current as redundant. I would maintain that to avoid confusion and to retain parallelism with AC voltage the redundancy is needed.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc that's debatable - 04/30/03 03:08 PM
This question has come up in the Great Eskimo Snow Debate.

Oh, come to think of it, can you tell us more about the G E S D ? And why they care about word puzzles? And maybe, if it isn't intruding, how you come to be involved :-)

Posted By: Faldage Re: that's debatable - 04/30/03 03:41 PM
G E S D

I'm involved only as a disinterested spectator. The question comes up as side effect of the fact that Inuktitut, and other related languages are polysynthetic (or whatever they're calling it these days) so do all the various words based on, e.g.,aput, i.e., 'snow (on ground)' aput (aput sisurtuq = avalanche)
'slush (on ground)' aput masannartuq
, count as different words?

Maybe we should ask the bookkeeper.

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: quick question - 05/01/03 12:07 AM
bookkeeping. Why do you ask?

Bingley

just shareing a puzzle

© Wordsmith.org