Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm hogwash® - 04/14/03 10:10 PM
I've got a word that I'm anxious to use as a wwftd, but I need some good def'ns so I can run it as a wwftd quiz™. thus, this round will have some actual awards, such as they are, as I will use the def'ns that garner the most votes.

PM me your def'ns for: to lant (within the next sennight)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hogwash® - 04/15/03 12:31 AM
..there *is a __ between to and lant, yes?

Posted By: Jackie Re: hogwash® - 04/15/03 12:32 AM
Am I undestanding correctly that, since you put the 'to', lant is a verb? As in I lant, you lant, he/she/it lants?

EDIT--Dang, Anna, you beat me by a second!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic junior nitpicker - 04/15/03 12:46 AM
more like a minute...

Posted By: Jackie Re: junior nitpicker - 04/15/03 01:31 AM
Oh, yeah, I always get that confused; danged military time! I maintain that there ain't no twenty o'clock! [stamping foot again e]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® - 04/15/03 01:37 AM
yes indeed, lant wants to be verbed.

Posted By: sjm Re: junior nitpicker - 04/15/03 02:21 AM
>military time

Strictly as a personal aside, I HATE this uniquely USn way of referring to what is known here as "the 24-hr clock". To one who adores the logic and simplicity of this time display system, but abhors all things military, it is a perjorative description.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: junior nitpicker - 04/15/03 02:29 AM
In reply to:

Strictly as a personal aside, I HATE this uniquely USn way of referring to what is known here as "the 24-hr clock". To one who adores the logic and simplicity of this time display system, but abhors all things military, it is a perjorative description.

As an uber-aside, I abhor this misspelling of pejorative.
the google-ometer shows:
pejorative <> 72,700
perjorative <> 3810

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/perjorative

Posted By: sjm Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 03:42 AM
>perjorative

Soryr, tsuwm. I actually hummed and hawed over the R, and was 60% sure I picked the wrong spelling, but put it in as I have R on the brain. Almost all I have been doing all day is practicing words like venerdi, martedi, mercoledi, and other rhotic nightmares Italian seems to delight in. My R fixation spilled over into English, sorry.

Posted By: Jackie Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 11:05 AM
24-hour clock sounds much better. I never knew there was anything but military time to call it; never knew that anybody outside the military used such a confusing thing. If the hours in our days were evenly divisible by 10, I wouldn't mind--that would be an easy calculation. But I have never had any reason to memorize the "12-plus" tables (as it were), so it always takes me a long time to figure out 12-plus-what equals x. Yes, I know it would be quicker to figure x-12 = n, but I don't like doing it that way. (Yes, I know I'm weird.) I'll take my regular clocks any day.

Posted By: Bean Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 11:07 AM
If the hours in our days were evenly divisible by 10

What???? A USn admitting the superiority of 10-based measurement systems??? What IS this world coming to????

Posted By: Faldage Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 11:27 AM
never had any reason to memorize the "12-plus" tables

Well, geez, if you're gonna translate in to the old system, doesn't seem like there'd be much point to it, does there? No, ya gotta *think in the new system.

PS

It's military time when you leave out the colon.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando 12 times tables - 04/15/03 12:16 PM
Us older brits have the edge on you there, of course, Jackie. We were all taught out times-tables up to 12, because we had the "old" money then: 12 pence to a shilling, twenty shillings to a pound. A much easier system, in many ways, because there are so many more exact fractions of 12 than of 10.

What was needed was not a move to a universal decimal, but to a universal duodecimal system. (For which there were quite a number of advocates, as I remember.)

Posted By: dxb Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 12:21 PM
Seems to me that every digital time telling device in the house is either set to use the 24 hour clock (VCRs for instance) or has the facility to be so set. Is this not the case in the US of A? Can't say I ever noticed.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: as time goes by - 04/15/03 01:03 PM
pulling this way OT, or at least further, the 12 hour clock uses context to inform, as opposed to the more precise 24 hour clock. what other sorts of things spring to mind that use some sense of context to indicate clarity?

I think that is so poorly worded I shall cringe at the thought of you all reading it, but so it goes... it is also likely that there may be many blatantly obvious examples that are hitting me upside the head as I write, but there that goes, too...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: junior nitpicker - 04/15/03 01:08 PM
[stamping foot again e]

Uhh, Jackie...that's stomping foot again. (unless you're stamping around those champing horses...chomp!chomp!)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: junioR nitpickeR - 04/15/03 01:11 PM
24 hour clocks on appliances

Our VCR has the 12 hr. traditional clock, but our microwave oven(s) have always had the 24 hour version.

Posted By: Jackie Re: as time goes by - 04/15/03 01:36 PM
Hoo boy, the threaded-modesters aren't going to like me for this, 'cause I'm responding to several posts. eta's is the one, however, that I want to keep below for handy ref.

No, nothing in our house has the 24-hr. setting. Whether anything has the capability, I don't know and don't care. There have been VERY few instances in my life when I couldn't tell if it was a.m. or p.m. Heh, I was thinking about my earlier post while I was out; I guess it's pretty obvious that patience is not one of my virtues--at least as long as I don't see the need for it.

Twelve pence/shilling--I nearly put that, because my old friend Philip mourned the loss of the 12-system, for the exact same reason.

Bean: pppptttthhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbb!

Faldage, thanks for the colon info.

WO'N, I figuratively stamp my feet; to me, if you're stomping, you're either dancing or leaving; a person standing in place stamps. And even then, I'm not sure I wouldn't say, "She stamped angrily out of the room".

what other sorts of things spring to mind that use some sense of context to indicate clarity?
Well--emoticons? Also, when my husband says he's going for a ride, I have to look and see whether he's wearing gear for bicycling or motorcycling.

Dang, tsuwm--see what you started??

Posted By: tsuwm Re: see what you started?? - 04/15/03 03:27 PM
a noisome round of nitpick®©™

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: 12 times tables - 04/15/03 04:33 PM
Rhuby, I was taught the times table up to 12 as well, though I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps it's because 12x12 has a specific name (gross), while nothing closely higher than it does.

I always, whenever possible, put my clocks in 24-hour time and also irritatedly correct my acquaintances who scoff at my use of "military time". Rather than it's simplicity, I'd say I use it more for it's relative novelty (over here) and because it's part of my meager attempt for feel more international. Though I must ask, do you actually say "14 o'clock" etc? I was of the impression that, at least in the UK, the 24-hour clock was used mainly for official time keeping and schedules, while people still say "2 o'clock." I'm remember getting an odd look the one time I said something like "it's thirteen twenty-five right now."

Posted By: Capfka Re: 12 times tables - 04/15/03 05:26 PM
Most of us who use the 24-hour clock as the norm have no trouble (or even consciously think) about converting it into "o'clock". Like, now it's 19:21 hours, which is 21 minutes past 7. Don't care which it is.

The 12 times table was taught because of the pound, 20 shillings to the pound, 12 pence to the shilling. I used to remember the 13, 14 and 15 times tables as well, but they've died for lack of use ...

Posted By: sjm Re: 12 times tables - 04/15/03 06:43 PM
Most of us who use the 24-hour clock as the norm have no trouble (or even consciously think) about converting it into "o'clock". Like, now it's 19:21 hours, which is 21 minutes past 7. Don't care which it is.

Agreed. If I'm at the PC and my wife asks me the time, I will read off the PC's display, in 24-hour format. Just to add to the fun, we also have a "left-handed clock, in which the definitions of clockwise and anticlockwise are the opposite of those considered the norm.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: 12 times tables - 04/15/03 07:21 PM
12 times tables

We learned the 12 tmes tables when I was in grammar school, here, too, Rhuby. "8 times 12 is 96!" See?!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic 24-hour clock - 04/15/03 08:17 PM
I dunno about other English-speaking countries, but in the two non-English speaking places I lived, Vienna and São Paulo, people routinely said fünfzehn Uhr and dezenove horas, respectively, and, of course, depending on the time. I like 24-hour clocks and all ours that can be set that way, are.

Posted By: Bingley Revolutionary time - 04/16/03 02:35 AM
In reply to:

If the hours in our days were evenly divisible by 10, I wouldn't mind--that would be an easy calculation.

Been there, done that:

The French Revolutionary Calendar (or Republican Calendar) was officially adopted in France on October 24, 1793 and abolished on 1 January 1806 by Emperor Napoleon I. It was used again briefly during under the Paris Commune in 1871. The French also established a new clock, in which the day was divided in ten hours of a hundred minutes of a hundred seconds - exactly 100,000 seconds per day.

http://webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-french.html

Bingley

Posted By: Jackie Re: Revolutionary time - 04/16/03 02:38 AM
The French also established a new clock, in which the day was divided in ten hours of a hundred minutes of a hundred seconds - exactly 100,000 seconds per day.
Yep--I musta remembered that from a previous life!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Back to to lant - 04/16/03 11:22 AM
Shucks, tsuwm: there is absolutely nothing to go on here.

Posted By: vanguard Re: Revolutionary time - 04/16/03 11:24 AM
Wow - I never knew about "Revolutionary" years and time, etc. Now I feel like a "ignernt merikan" for sure...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Back to to lant - 04/16/03 02:15 PM
Oh, come, on AnnaS...should be obvious to a Southern girl:

"He'all tain't the best person to lant money to, 'cause y'all never git it back."

--WO'N (not so) Obvious

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Back to to lant - 04/16/03 03:13 PM
ASp>there is absolutely nothing to go on here.

yes! (juan obvious notwithstanding)
eight entries to date and no armadillo(s) amongst them. <g>

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Back to to lant - 04/16/03 03:31 PM
Armadillos? we don' need no steenkin ..............

Posted By: tsuwm Re: hogwash® - 04/20/03 01:29 PM
reminder: 23:00 [GMT/UTC] tomorrow (Monday) is the deadline for submittal of definitions, by PM.

"eight entries to date and no armadillo(s) amongst them. <g>"

Posted By: rav Re: hogwash® - 04/21/03 05:52 PM
methinks i see it in my mind eyes.. err..no, i don't..

i give up. i definitely prefer version with given options.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: hogwash® - 04/21/03 06:32 PM
rav, the options will be given soon, after people who want to have submitted them. You will have a chance to vote!

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: hogwash® - 04/21/03 08:05 PM
ALBATROSSES, ARMADILLOS and HOGS . . .

menagerie a trois???

© Wordsmith.org