Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 03:49 AM
a. Minimalist African dance so named by Dutch settlers because of the elaborate costumes displayed. (From Dutch: costuum + pleyen)

b. a dual screen display monitor often used by designers. One screen showing the whole layout, the other used to zoom in to details. Now used to describe any multi-screen display, such as those seen at pop concerts.

c. verb coh – splay To produce a two or more splay-trees simulataneously for several topics or sub-topics of a single subject.

d. part of the mating dance of large birds, during which they stand on the ground facing each other, spread their wings widely and flap them intermittently

e. event where fans dress up as characters from favourite TV shows, the costumes used at such events [from costume + display]

f. a field planted in lettuce

g. game similar to charades invented by Lewis Carroll for the entertainment of his young friends

Definitions were submitted by: bingley, coffeebean, consuelo, dxb, RhubarbCommando, and wofahulicodoc

Bingley
Posted By: sjm Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 03:55 AM
What's the deadline for voting on cosplay?

Posted By: Bingley Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 04:04 AM
Monday 14 April 9:00 a.m. WIB = 2:00 a.m. GMT

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 11:17 AM
Gimme a B!

Posted By: dxb Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 11:19 AM
Seems to me that a), e) and g) are all pretty much the same. Obviously the other definitions are a lot of nonsense. I guess I'll be a good sheep and follow the flock so, for no other reason than that I'm easily led, I'll pick the middle one of those and go for e).

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 11:43 AM
B definitely. If it's not correct, it should be. We need such a term for such displays.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 12:50 PM
We need such a term for such displays.

yah, but cosplay wouldn't be it.

gimme f, Hazel-rah.

Posted By: maahey Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 02:12 PM
I like D

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 07:00 PM
B please!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 07:32 PM
Well, Bingley, I'll have you know you are responsible for me missing out for the first time ever on Hoggywashery! Mebbe I looked at it fast and didn't realize what it was, or sumptin'??? I dunno...anyway... I, the definitionless, have no choice but to vote for the horny birds...D.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 08:10 PM
I missed it, too, but, since I was under extenuating circumstances and like to dance, I'll go for A. Thanks for taking this one over, Bingley.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/07/03 09:46 PM
cosplay wouldn't be it

Parm my beg to differmints, but that's exactly the sort of word a bunch of software-marketing people would come up with for that sort of thang.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/08/03 03:09 AM
A and B look mighty good, but I'll vote for E

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/08/03 08:58 AM
G seems the least likely, so let's Go for it!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Dirty pig definitions - 04/08/03 10:00 AM
I'll vote C since no one else has

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: COSP-lay - 04/08/03 05:00 PM
You left out the real definition, which is "the song of the Community Open Space Partnership."

That choice not being available, however, I'll have to cast a vote for the lettuce patch (F). Costumed Players in whichever form, or players' costumes, or whatever, may be the right answer but it's too trite. No self-respecting puzzler would propose it seriously. Us Folks, of course, is another kettle of fish entirely :-)

© Wordsmith.org