Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bonzaialsatian Name Meanings - 03/20/03 06:03 PM
For anyone who's interested:
http://www.parenthood.com/parent_cfmfiles/babynames.cfm
You can search for name meanings and meanings for names from loads of different languages - been really useful for my writing recently as I'm always stuck for names of characters and like to choose something unusual.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Name Meanings - 03/21/03 04:17 PM
I couldn't find bonzaialsatian in there, ahywhere! What were your parents thinking of, giving you a name that doesn't exist?

(A good link, though, all the same - thanks!)

Posted By: RubyRed Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 03:09 AM
I love looking up name meanings. I do it, too, bonzai, for characters in my novel.......

Which brings me to a question......are we all writing books? It would seem to be a given that word lovers (is there a word for lovers of words?) and story tellers, such as ourselves, would all be in various stages of writing books! Anybody close to publication, yet?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 03:50 AM
are we all writing books

hahahahahahaha!!! falling about myself laughing...

I'm only laughing for myself, Ruby, please take no offense. I can't imagine writing a whole book!

though there are those three chapters of that fantasy story I wrote when I was 14 and had just read LOTR...

hahahaha!

still laughing...

Posted By: sjm Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 05:44 AM
They say everybody has one book inside them, and that's where mine is staying. (laughing-with-you-e, etaoin)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 10:00 AM
(is there a word for lovers of words?)

You can always fall back on "logophile."

Posted By: Capfka Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 10:36 AM
Logophilia? Isn't that what the tree-huggers do?

- Pfranz
Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 04:03 PM
Write books, hug trees... they all sound good to me!!
Anybody close to publication, yet?
I've had various poetry pieces published in a magazine called Young Writer, if that counts as proper publication - it's one of my greatest ambitions though... [sigh as I gaze out of the window - e]

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Name Meanings - 03/22/03 10:16 PM
Howye fokes

In reply ta the question if any of us is close ta been publicationed yet - well, me pal Albear Camoo's furst fillysophical book "Nothin Between the Covers" will be out any day now.

Hope this answers yer query and doesn't want ta make ya ate yer hart out and all that sorta stuff.

be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: RubyRed Re: Name Meanings - 03/23/03 06:33 PM
Laughing with you etaoin! I understand......

I always "knew" I would be a writer someday...you know, I could just "feel" it. I had visions of making all kinds of money when my first novel was published, and the publishing houses clamoring for more, paying me hefty advances to write the next one.....

Then, one day about a year ago, it occurred to me......I have to actually WRITE someting......anything......before those publishing people can know what an author I am! So, I began my novel. And this is where I laugh with you, etaoin....the premis is easy, the timeline is easy, the characters are easy, the scenes are easy. Hell, even chapters are easy.....but a WHOLE novel???!!! HaHaHaHaHa! Yep, I hear you......

Posted By: of troy Re: are we all writing books? - 03/31/03 07:36 PM
do we have to be writing books to be writers?

i have have had several small articles published,(one even was reprinted in a column, that was syndicated, so it was reprinted in over 5,000 newspapers in US) and other have had poetry published, and many here have written a theis, (which their university has on record somewhere) some, have disertations.

and if if you include my personal letters in my writing, i have written alot, but never a book --(but i am toying with the idea.) but if i do a book, it will be a thin one, and technical. (i am thinking about doing a knitting book.)

© Wordsmith.org