Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Coffeebean Hogwarsh Results - 03/18/03 01:30 AM
HOGWASH : phagotum
RESULTS ON PAGE FIVE
choose one

a) Alimentation, the liquid pushed through a tube into a comatose person's stomach.

b) Outdoor restaurant in an agora (Greek marketplace); by extension, any sidewalk café.

c) The algae which clings to rocks and docks at the water line of fresh water lakes and slow-moving streams.

d) Appellation for the Hughes BGM-71 fly-by-wire anti-tank missile, nicknamed the "little tank eater" (from phago-, eating + Tank Unhinging Missile).

e) A glutton - someone who eats too much.

f) An open-work decoration of fabric in which thread is drawn in crisscross stitches across an open seam; a corruption from Greek “phaekelos” (i.e., fagot).

g) A traveling cloak used for protection against stormy weather.

h) Roman military rations which consisted of corn, bacon, cheese, vegetables, fruit, olive oil and wine.

i) A Renaissance-era prototype of the bassoon (fagotte), originally designed with bagpipes in mind.

j) Any of an order of insectivorous vascular plants often with the sporangia borne in lanceolate-shaped strobili.

k) Medical term for the effects of a previous attack of acid indigestion on 'beneficial bacteria' in the bowel. "He is suffering from phagotum".

l) A colony of flesh-eating bacteria.

m) Residue from a deteriorating cell.

n) Something eaten which is not normally part of the eater's diet.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 01:48 PM
It is probably "e"; but I love "d" - it really ought to be the answer.
However, the ornate language of J
so appeals to me that it has to have my vote, right or wrong.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 04:47 PM
I mo vote for h just because so many people will reject it for the inclusion of corn on the list.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 05:22 PM
Corn?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 05:24 PM
Yeah, corn. You got a problem with that?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 06:06 PM
No problem...just, Corn?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 06:22 PM
OK, corn.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 06:24 PM
Amaizeing!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 06:35 PM
What's maize got to do with it?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 06:50 PM
What's maize got to do with it?

Oh, c'mon, Faldage...now you're being corny.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 07:27 PM
¿Hwæt? You gonna vote or not, Juan. Vote or get off the pot!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/18/03 08:56 PM
Vote or get off the pot!

I ain't smokin' pot. and I'll vote when I'm good and ready, thank you

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: HogwaRsh Roolz - 03/18/03 10:25 PM
HogwaRsh Roolz (copied freely from an earlier post)

Anyone can submit a definition.
Anyone can guess at the correct answer, regardless of whether you submitted a definition or not.

Scoring
1. One point is given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. Two points are awarded to each player who chooses the true meaning.
3. Three points are given to the moderator only if none of the players choose the true meaning.
4. Three points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning.
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game
6. A player may vote for her own definition but scores points only for those others she can bluff
into also voting for that definition.. (i.e., you can't get a rule 1 point that way!)

Since we're trying to promote the game, anyone can vote but non-players (those who did not submit a definition) will receive only one (1) point for a correct guess. should a non-player be the only correct guesser, he will be awarded the rule 2 points (2) and the moderator will be awarded the rule 3 points (3).

Posted By: wofahulicodoc ay, ay, ay! - 03/19/03 12:10 AM
if it wuz "phagtotum" i would choose e

but as it is i have to vote for i

(i fagotte why)

Posted By: consuelo Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 12:18 AM
Ok. I'll bite. B
Maybe I'm still delirious from the fever? I'm so hungry right now I'd bite just about anything!

Posted By: Zed Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 12:26 AM
I can't resist technobabble so I'll vote for J.

Posted By: sjm Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 12:31 AM
It's my middle initial, so I too will vote J - no doubt my vote will be supplanted by the correct answer.

Posted By: Zed Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 12:37 AM
sjm
atleast we vote scientifically!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:31 AM
Mmmmmmmm...lemme see...M!

Posted By: JohnHawaii Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:38 AM
I think it's c. Let's call it what it is--scum.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 02:59 AM
j for me. Stromboli sounds fun...

Posted By: maahey Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 03:54 AM
C

And thanks for dredging up the rules, CB.
Posted By: Bingley Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 04:59 AM
g, as a protest against food threads

Bingley
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:06 PM
Bingley, !

I'll go with the preposterous and vote for D.

Posted By: dxb Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:13 PM
i) is quirky, so that'll do me.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:22 PM
in a belligerent mood, I'll tank it and shoot for d

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 01:40 PM
I was gonna vote for hanging in effigy. So it's either f or g. And since I'd rather have a thread thread than a food thread I'll go with the former.

TEd -- who doesn't want the voting to be ineffable.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 06:26 PM
I'm in a preprandial mood and will swallow b.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Hogwarsh - 03/19/03 06:55 PM
Something about it makes me think of A... maybe I'm just trying to be different?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Hogwarsh - 03/20/03 09:17 AM
I'll go for J. I couldn't understand a word of it, so it must be correct.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Hogwarsh - 03/21/03 11:32 PM
Cast yeR HogwaRsh votes whilst ye can. I’ll be postin’ the scoRes, the winneR and the Results of the game on Monday, 3/31, after 18:00 CST.

[grunt, grunt, grunt]

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hogwarsh R Us - 03/22/03 12:21 AM
Don't forget to post who submitted what! (You can go back and edit your first post to do that -- more details with tsuwm [passing-the-buck])

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hogwarsh R Us - 03/22/03 02:18 AM
more details with tsuwm [passing-the-buck])

So is tswum Hogwarshed-up!!?

Posted By: RubyRed Re: Hogwarsh - 03/22/03 03:04 AM
I'll place a C note on letter c)

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Hogwarsh R Us - 03/22/03 03:38 AM
more details with tsuwm [passing-the-buck])

So is tswum Hogwarshed-up!!?

I don't think he's warshed up. But I hope he warshed up before dinner. I think AnnaS means that I should contact tsuwm if I have any questions about the details of the game.

I have consulted the Hogmaster General several times . . . WW too. They've both been helpful and encouraging.

Yes, folks, I am keeping score. (I've got a little list, I've got a little list!)

Don't worry! Be Hoggy!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hogwarsh - 03/22/03 12:03 PM
Cast yeR HogwaRsh votes whilst ye can. I’ll be postin’ the scoRes, the winneR and the Results of the game on Monday

You sayin the answeR is R? No faiR! I file a pRe-emptive pRotest! TheRe weRen't no R on the list!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hogwarsh R Us - 03/22/03 12:59 PM
Coffeebean,

Thank you for your accurate interpretation of my reference to buck-passing. I knew you'd understand.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Hogwarsh - 03/22/03 04:38 PM
You sayin the answeR is R? No faiR! I file a pRe-emptive pRotest! TheRe weRen't no R on the list!

Dear Faldage:
Maybe it's a Red HeRRing?!!

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Hogwarsh - 03/25/03 09:47 PM
I gotta go with J.

Posted By: sheepishlion Re: Hogwarsh - 03/28/03 04:53 PM
OK. I'm new to this, but I'm going to guess C.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: Hogwarsh - 03/28/03 04:55 PM
Welcome to the board, Sheepishlion!

Posted By: sheepishlion Re: Hogwarsh - 03/28/03 05:01 PM
Thanks, CB!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: welcome - 03/28/03 06:17 PM
Nice handle, sheepishlion! Welcome, and may I convey my awe before such quick & nimble grasp of markup

Posted By: sheepishlion Re: welcome - 03/28/03 06:31 PM
Thank You, AnnaStrophic. I've actually used something similar to markup on another forum so it wasn't hard to figure out this one.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: welcome - 03/29/03 10:59 AM
Welcome, sheepishlion - your willingness to jump in the deep end of the hogwash makes me think that the second part of your soubriquet is more accurate than the first part!

And perhaps we should warn you that a name like that is liable to excite certain members of this august company who hail from the antipodes and a certain province of the UK!

Posted By: Faldage Re: welcome - 03/29/03 11:24 AM
certain members of this august company

Not to mention…

Of course, I've always considered myself more of the july type (or is it april?)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: welcome - 03/29/03 12:15 PM
And we have those who March forward here with commentary--and also we have those with "Come What May" attitudes...

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: welcome - 04/01/03 01:15 AM
Alas! We have the jejune members . . . and the gullible -- "would July to me?"

Posted By: Coffeebean would July to me? evidently so . . - 04/01/03 02:07 AM
HOGWASH : phagotum

a) Alimentation, the liquid pushed through a tube into a comatose person's stomach.
Ted Remington (1 vote – bonzai)

b) Outdoor restaurant in an agora (Greek marketplace); by extension, any sidewalk café. wofahulicodoc (2 votes – consuelo, Wordwind)

c) The algae which clings to rocks and docks at the water line of fresh water lakes and slow-moving streams. Whitman O’Neill (4 votes – JohnHawaii, Maahey, RubyRed, sheepishlion)

d) Appellation for the Hughes BGM-71 fly-by-wire anti-tank missile, nicknamed the "little tank eater" (from phago-, eating + Tank Unhinging Missile) tsuwm (2 votes – AnnaStrophic, tsuwm)

e) A glutton - someone who eats too much. RhubarbCommando

f) An open-work decoration of fabric in which thread is drawn in crisscross stitches across an open seam; a corruption from Greek “phaekelos” (i.e., fagot). Coffeebean (1 vote – Ted Remington)

g) A traveling cloak used for protection against stormy weather. Coffeebean (1 vote – Bingley)

h) Roman military rations which consisted of corn, bacon, cheese, vegetables, fruit, olive oil and wine. Coffeebean (1 vote garnered from Faldage)

i) A Renaissance-era prototype of the bassoon (fagotte), originally designed with bagpipes in mind. AnnaStrophic CORRECT ANSWER (received 2 votes from wofahulicodoc and dxb)

j) Any of an order of insectivorous vascular plants often with the sporangia borne in lanceolate-shaped strobili. Wordwind (6 votes – RhubarbCommando, Zed, sjm, etaoin, Capfka, modestgoddess)

k) Medical term for the effects of a previous attack of acid indigestion on 'beneficial bacteria' in the bowel. "He is suffering from phagotum". dxb

l) A colony of flesh-eating bacteria. modestgoddess

m) Residue from a deteriorating cell. JohnHawaii (1 vote – WO’N)

n) Something eaten which is not normally part of the eater's diet. Bingley

Here are the final tallies:

The Winner is Wordwind who receives 1 point for submitting a definition and 6 points from those who voted for J, for a total of 7 whopping points.

Runners Up are:
AnnaStrophic with a total of 5 points (3 for submitting a correct definition and 2 from those who voted for I).

Whitman O’Neill with a total of 5 points (1 for submitting and 4 from those who voted for C).

Wofahulicodoc with 5 points (1 for submitting, 2 from those who voted for B and 2 points for a correct guess).

Thanks to all who played!

... and thanks to you, coffeebean, for hosting the show. ost enjoyable!

all the best!
RhubarbCommando