Wordsmith.org
Posted By: shanks That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 11:30 AM
Quick challenge: name the poet and complete the passage.

Winter is icumin in
Lhude sing goddam...

Clues will be provided later if this is too obscure.

Posted By: Jackie Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 12:45 PM
Got it! Sending private so as not to spoil the search for others.

Posted By: shanks Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 01:05 PM
PResume you found the original as well...?

Posted By: Jackie Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 01:28 PM
sumer...cuckoo?

Posted By: shanks Applause - 11/02/00 01:44 PM
Clap clap clap

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 04:07 PM
Got it, too. Now... whence cometh it? In other words, what is this a take-off on?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 04:14 PM
according to my google, it is a parody of the Middle English "Cuckoo Song"...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 06:10 PM
Those of us blessed enough to live at the top end of the world(yart gratia yartis), can use the original wording. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this post - I have a great little book called The Oxford book of English Verse 1250-1918, in which all the poems are arranged chronolgically, and guess which one comes first - listed as circa 1226?

Posted By: shanks Ah but - 11/02/00 07:59 PM
Max, Anna, tsuwm and co

The original is, by most accounts, a 'classic'. I simply wished to give some credit to the winter version, which I hesitate to call a parody purely because i) it is by a very distinguished poet, and ii) if you've ever lived in London, it makes profound sense...

cheer

il miglior fabbro (not)

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 10:01 PM
There must be something wrong with my AP English/British Lit. class. According to this class the first English language poet was Caedmon and the first famous poet was Chaucer, neither of whom fit into the time frame.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/02/00 11:02 PM
There must be something wrong with my AP English/British Lit. class. According to this class the first English language poet was Caedmon

Sorry, I am no scholar, so I am unable to help. However, from a purely lay point of view, for a teacher or reference work to say "the first English poet was ..." seems a bit ambitious. For the statement to have meaning, one must accept a definition of "English" and "poet" - and then prove that no one matched that description prior to the chosen individual. As it happens, my book attributes Cuckoo Song to that most prolific of authors - Anon.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/03/00 02:39 PM
the first English language poet was Caedmon

I will stick my neck out here, fully expecting to have it chopped off at the collar, as I have no idea of who was Caedmon, nor whenor what he wrote. However, the name sounds typically British and a bit dark-age-ish. There is considerable debate among historians (well- there was, I haven't heard it recently) as to when the inhabitants of this cess-pitted isle became "English", but no-one dates it b4 1066, and I'm fairly sure no-one really believes it was as late as the 13th century, so it sounds to me (says he, ducking nervously) as though Caedmon was writing before "English" was a real thing.

The Cuckoo Song is, indeed, a classic which brings back fond memories of the school music-room, where we used to sing that lovely song.

Posted By: maverick Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/03/00 03:09 PM
says he...

Hello, s'ayleur!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/03/00 05:02 PM
Ah-hah! Fast search (http://www.alltheweb.com) did it for me -

Winter is icumen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm !
Sing : Goddam.

- Ezra Pound, Ancient Music

Shona appreciated the fact that the page I found this on -
http://www.gardendigest.com/winter.htm
- also contained an e.e.cummings quote:

the snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/03/00 08:55 PM
Well, I knew it was Pound. That's why I didn't spoil it for the others *materternal glance @ Shona*. The original has been attributed to Chaucer, but you know how the Middle Ages were....

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/03/00 09:48 PM
to say "the first English poet was ..." seems a bit ambitious

Well, it's straight from the history of the one and only Venerable Bede. He was supposedly the first to write in Old English.

Posted By: Father Steve Caedmon - 11/28/00 06:42 AM
For the whole story of Caedmon, see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03131c.htm

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: That time of year thou may... - 11/28/00 03:47 PM
Ezra Pound. I don't recall all the poem at the moment, but if I do, I'll be back.

© Wordsmith.org