Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy Dictionaries - 10/27/00 02:28 PM
Xara in the Food for thought thread--
>So what you are saying is that I need a new dictionary.<

Is that a problem Xara? I had a 24" shelf dedicated to dictionaries, and my collection has outgrow the space.
I remember reading in some thread "My Chamber's" -- which i will admit is one of my favorite dictionaries, and of course the OED, (are any of making contributions to their current effort?)...

What is your favorite dictionary? or least favorite? It is to much to presume its OED, and we are going for second favorite?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 02:37 PM
favorite...
desk dictionary - M-W 10th Collegiate (also on CD-ROM and online)
unabridged - W3 [Webster's Third New International]
online - OneLook
Top Sacred (burn before reading) - OED

least favorite...
desk and CD-ROM - Random House

Posted By: xara Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 02:42 PM
>So what you are saying is that I need a new dictionary.<

Is that a problem Xara?

In fact, no, I was delighted with the idea. I decided that a new dictionary would be an excellent Christmas gift idea to give my parents. I have known for a while that I need a better thesaurus, so I shall include that in my list.

I was thinking about asking, as you have, for recomendations for favorite dictionaries and thesauri. Thank you for doing it for me!

Posted By: xara Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 02:45 PM
desk dictionary - M-W 10th Collegiate

It appears as if our valued tsuwm thinks I already have a good dictionary.

hmmmm...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 02:52 PM
have you forgotten so quickly my cavil regarding *desk dictionaries??

Posted By: xara Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 03:03 PM
cavil regarding *desk dictionaries??

No, I haven't. However I certainly don't have the Space in my tiny apartment for an unabridged. (Bookshelf space being limited as it is, and horizontal surfaces such as tables, being almost as scarce..) Perhaps I will investigate an OED. Seems the best option. Anyway, I just said that you said I had a pretty good dictionary, not that I didn't need another one.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 03:47 PM
perhaps not. the print version of the "complete" OED runs to 20 encyclopaedia-size volumes; the compact edition is Not for the Visually Impaired and comes complete with its own magnification device; the price is Not Insignificant. the best OED option might be the CD-ROM version (at $250 US).

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Dictionaries - 10/27/00 08:37 PM
Well, I've been faithful to my old inherited "Concise" OED for much much longer than is a good idea, really. But I struggle to like other printed dictionaries.

I really need a new copy, but I'm not sure you can get anything like the (checks...thinks bluddyell!) 1964 edition any more.

I'm happy to be a bit mercenary as regards online dictionaries. So I'll check out tsuwm's reference forthwith!

© Wordsmith.org