Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm motching results - 01/20/03 03:52 PM
(a1) in glasswork, the effect produced by spraying a pane with a dilute acid. (jargon, contraction of mottled etching) [sjm]
(a2) Rapid etching process that enjoyed a brief vogue among hobbyists in the late 19th century; artwork produced by this process. [Bingley]
(a) in glasswork, a rapid etching process that enjoyed a brief vogue among hobbyists in the late 19th century; the effect produced by spraying a pane with a dilute acid (jargon, contraction of mottled etching) [sjm/Bingley/tsuwm] Faldage, WO'N, rav (3 votes)

(b) the serrated-jaw assembly that forms part of the cable gripping and tightening mechanism on the drum of a steam-ploughing engine [dxb] Wordwind, ASp, wofa (3 votes)

(c) from mediaeval England, originally mutching or mowching (these are probably regional variations); it meant the seeking of alms by Friars of the mendicant orders, but has come to mean begging by anyone and has acquired a connotation of lurking with evil intent, or to avoid work (the Welsh version is "mwchyms" (pron. "moochums") which is (or was) commonly used to mean playing truant from school) [RC]

(e) pronounced mot-ching', a venerable Chinese game played with ivory tiles; the Western pronunciation has evolved over time and the game is now widely known as "Mah Jongg" or equivalent spelling [wofa] consuelo

(f) a solid-color quilt border [TEd] sjm, bonzai, musick (3 votes)

(g) poetic translation of ancient Chinese secrets [consuelo]

(h) the act of mooching over your tea [bonzai]

(i) the act of challenging the major point of contention in a written debate by publicly pointing out a minor misspelling (in internet format this tactic has been adapted as a mutually understood concession) [milum] milum (and all is right with the whorl)

(j) the act of lying: prevarication [musick] RhubarbC

(k) the practice of cutting leeches during surgical application to empty them of blood and increase suction [tsuwm]

(l) nonce word coined for SUVs, which need larger parts: similar to notching, but the notches are cut twice as large and twice as far apart; c.f. m and n spaces in typography [ASp]

(m) to produce (as a pattern or design) on metal by eating into the surface with a laser beam [Wordwind] dxb

(n) the under-soil of a sod farm [WO’N] etaoin

(o) the name for what happens when a bunch of guys get together and try to out-macho each other [Jeepers]

(p) a coarse twill cloth made of a mixture of linen and cotton [Faldage] teD, Bingley

(q) fond of dainties, with the idea of eating in secret; (also) slow, quiet eating, with the idea of fondness for good living; imperceptible use, with the notion of thriftlessness [Joseph Wright's English Dialect Dict. 1896-1905] Jeepers

Jeepers! I had the panel stumped up until the very last vote!

snufflingly yours,
-joe hogget

oh, and kudos to dxb, TEd and the sjm/Bingley consortium for all amassing 3 votes each.

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching results - 01/20/03 04:07 PM
A) I don't get extra credit for fooling Bingley?

2) What about

Motching : allows the realization of serration or micro-serration of the blades. Can be done on one side or on both sides (better cutting edge).

http://www.coutellerie-thiers.com/uk/fabrication.htm?

Seems like dxb should get points for his def.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: motching results - 01/20/03 04:29 PM

And, if dxb gets points for his def, then the three of us who voted for his def. should get a half point.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 04:36 PM
Maybe I've been working too hard this morning and can't see straight, but: which is the correct answer?

Posted By: Faldage Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 04:44 PM
which is the correct answer?

The one about eating dainties. This is, of course, a typical post game ritual among Rugby players:
http://www.angelfire.com/mb2/broughtonrugbyclub1/bfprfctour.html

Posted By: tsuwm Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 04:45 PM
jeepers, ASp, it's not as though I posted it on the qt.

>Seems like dxb should get points for his def.

why? was that his source? (I don't see that motching is actually defined there: "allows the realization of serration or micro-serration of the blades.")
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 05:02 PM
*sigh*

Posted By: rav Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 05:03 PM
>which is the correct answer?

thank you AnnaS, that is exactly what i wanted to say :)

and you see.. i told you d is the correct one :P

Posted By: tsuwm Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 05:07 PM
gosh, I'm sorry. I should have remembered our old member, Joseph Wright, who used a very pronounced English Dialect.

Posted By: dxb Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 05:25 PM

Nah! I just had a vague recollection, probably from taking Workshop Technology all those years ago, that it was something to do with cutting or forming shapes in metal. Aside from that I cut my definition about ploughing engines out of whole cloth. Close, but no cigar.

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching results - 01/20/03 05:31 PM
As long as I'm puling and micturating, I'd like to know if the dictionary entry is motching or (more likely) the uninflected form, motch?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching results - 01/20/03 06:25 PM
Game under protest! The esteemed Hogmaster® made an unsolicited edit of a hyphen [-] into my undersoil. Even though it garnished a vote, it made the def seem archaic and strained...and, so, suspect. topsoil/undersoil Don't mess with my undersoil!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching results - 01/20/03 06:55 PM
>an unsolicited edit

take it up with Bill Gates.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching results - 01/20/03 07:01 PM
>the uninflected form

yes and no:

motch
To eat little, slowly, quietly and secretly; to consume or waste imperceptilbly. Hence, motching, fond of dainties, with the idea of eating in secret. [Also] slow, quiet eating, with the idea of fondness for good living; imperceptible use, with the notion of thriftlessness. Banffshire.

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching results - 01/20/03 07:08 PM
So where do the Rugby players come in?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: matching results - 01/20/03 07:10 PM
as with most things Rugby, they extended and mulched the meaning slightly..

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching results - 01/20/03 08:33 PM
take it up with Bill Gates.

Bill Gates doesn't use the hyphen, either!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching results - 01/20/03 08:41 PM
>Bill Gates doesn't use the hyphen, either!

perhaps not, but he accepts it, whereas he rejects undersoil. (aenigma suggests 'understand'..)

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: crossed eyes - 01/20/03 08:43 PM
Dainties is what you call dead Rugby players?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching results - 01/20/03 09:12 PM
underwear, undergarment, underdrawers, underpants, undershorts, undershirt, underneath, underlie, underrun, underline, undercoating, undergrowth, underpass, underscore, undercut, undercurrent, underfoot, underclass, undershrub, etc, etc, etc...undersoil! Hyphenless all! does hypenless have a hypen?...hypen-less? 'Sides...it's what the author of the definition wants and submits...it's all part of the specificity of the strategy...no changes were ever allowed without consulting the submitter of the definiton...protest!protest!protest! for all the good it'll do me

Therefore, I hereby submit that all tallies for this round can only be reagarded as an underhanded underscore!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching results - 01/20/03 09:28 PM
with protests in the air and the refrains of "Risin' of the Moon" heard in the distance, William Hogarth scampers away into the darkling (or is it friscalating?) sunset. is this the last we'll see of him? is that the Rules of Hogwash® he carries thinly in his oxter? does anyone know what time it is?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching results - 01/20/03 09:39 PM
does anyone know what time it is?

well, I'll tell ya...

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was
on my watch, yeah
And I said
Does anybody really know what time it is
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
If so I can't imagine why
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had
stopped cold dead
And I said
I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to cry
Oh no, no

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock,
oh, so I just don't know,
I just don't know
And I said, yes I said

Background Vocal:
People runnin' everywhere
Don't know the way to go
Don't know where I am
Can't see past the next step
Don't have to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

I don't
Does anybody really care
care
about time
We've all got time enough to die
Oh no, no

--Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Chicago © 1969 by Chicago

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Department of Correction - 01/20/03 10:13 PM
Several years ago there was a spate of popularity for a game generally referred to as "Equation Analysis," the paradigm being "26 = L in the A" and the challenge being to expand the initials to make a more-or-less correct equation, thus: "26 = Letters in the Alphabet". Or "54 = C in a D (with the J)", expanding to "54 Cards in a Deck (with the Jokers)."

This led Sid McKeen, a Worcester columnist, and others, I'm sure to run a series of such contests from time to time, each a list of twenty-six examples, take-you-out-to-lunch for a prize.

He wisely took the precaution of including in the instructions for readers this bit of wisdom:
"The correct answers are what is written on a slip of paper kept in the upper right-hand drawer of my desk" or words to that effect.
And without taking any of the fun out of the exercise, I might add...

Oh yes, and he also invited readers to send in their own examples. Any takers? Maybe a new thread? Is the name "Equation Analysis" copyrighted?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Department of Correction - 01/20/03 10:19 PM
So, if I read you correctly 5280 = F in a M?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Initial Impressions - 01/21/03 02:06 AM
So, if I read you correctly 5280 = F in a M?

Precisely so. But things can get a little more obscure:

88 = P K

or

3 B M = S H T R

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/21/03 02:24 AM
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Initial Impressions - 01/21/03 02:50 AM

8 P of a S
43 P of A
206 B in a S
1776 M in the D

Let's see, now.

I know 8 S on a S S, but not yours.
I know 76 T that L the B P, but not yours
I know 206 B in the B, and also in a S, 'cause it's about the same thing.
I don't know 43 P of Anything yet. Have to think about that one.

(I put some answers in I & A in the "Answers to Puzzles" thread for viewing if needed..)

Posted By: Jeepers Re: motching results - 01/21/03 10:49 AM
Ohboyohboyohboy! Consuelo read the possible answers to me over the phone and you guys are so longwinded I just told her I vote for the last one. It did make me hungry, tho'!

Posted By: dxb Re: motching results - 01/21/03 10:53 AM
The definition of motching sounds a lot like munching to me. I reckon the whole thing is down to some ancient typo.

Posted By: Jackie Re: motching results - 01/21/03 12:39 PM
some ancient typo.
Ah, yes; like what I've posted before:
Two monks discover a cache of ancient religious writings, and decide to translate them. One, having gone to fix himself a snack, hears a piercing scream followed by loud wailing. Rushing back, he finds his colleague white and trembling. With a shaking finger, the colleague points to a word. "It...it...it's celebrate".

Posted By: Wordwind Post deleted by Wordwind - 01/21/03 12:50 PM
Posted By: Jackie Re: motching results - 01/21/03 01:26 PM
I'm glad somebody got it, this time. Thanks, Dubdub!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: motching results - 01/21/03 01:28 PM
>The definition of motching sounds a lot like munching to me.

hmm. one usually thinks of munching as kine of noticeable, even audible.

Posted By: Faldage Re: motching results - 01/21/03 01:35 PM
noticeable, even audible

Well, yeah, when cows do it.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: motching results - 01/21/03 02:11 PM
>tsuwm

Ah! Der Untermeister® returns, eh?

© Wordsmith.org