Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 03:29 PM
choose one:

a) describes the facial expression of one who has a nasal hair tickling the side of his/her nose

b) the name for the mechanism that produces several graph lines at once as may be found in a lie detector, a seismograph, etc.

c) an Italian version of chili, somewhat similar to the Tex-Mex variety but substituting cannellini for kidney beans and featuring traditional Italian herbs, including basil, oregano, and garlic

d) also psylli,(sil-I) more often psyllic(SIL-ik) ceremonial snake handling

e) a type of mathematical puzzle popular in the 19th century

f) the wrapping at the base of a double-reed that assures a snug fit onto the bocal of the bassoon or oboe

g) descriptive of tiny, eyelash-like protrusions on lower marine life forms

h) to use as the outside indicator of an Enigma message the letters appearing in the windows at the end of the enciphering of the previous message, thereby revealing the finished position for message and, in certain circumstances, facilitating the determination of its true setting and wheel-order (from the initials of the girlfriend of a German operator, who found them easy to remember)

i) (slang) insanity induced by lead poisoning

j) a Coast Guard officer

k) a battlefield formation used with great success by the Roman legions during Caesar's earliest campaigns

l) a meadow strewn with flints (These meadows are found on chalk downs and are used for grazing sheep. The soil is too shallow for crops and the grass insuffiently lush to fatten cattle adequately. Originally was two words, "cill lye". Cills being igneous rock intrusions and lye being the old word, or one of them, for a meadow.)

m) an obsolete variant of the word silly

n) the decorative, frilled hem of a slip that is designed to peep from under the skirt of a latin dancer

o) a hairlike tail or end

---

the bonus challenge: find the common thread

---

the usual suspects: consuelo, dxb, musick, Wordwind, Jazzo, ASp, ron obvious, Fiberbabe, WO'N, slithy toves, RC, Bingley, milum, dodyskin, and a really obscure dictionary
Posted By: sjm Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 05:43 PM
I shall fall straight into the polynymic one's trap, and vote for my usual grade in Hogwash rounds: F

Posted By: BankrollBets Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 06:10 PM
g)

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 06:51 PM
O

Posted By: dodyskin Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 09:53 PM
I ceme to c cense in c

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 10:02 PM
H for its sheer preposterousness.

common "thread": You want me to obviousize, tsuwm?
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Obviousization - 11/14/02 10:58 PM
That's my role this week.

But I'm holdin' back; I'm tuckin' it in...right beneath the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin.

I also can't make up my mind about the definitions. They're all correct this time. Except one. The others are all correct.

Will be back with my choice after I blindfold myself and point randomly at the list.

Beard regards,
WordWolf

Posted By: milum Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 11:19 PM
common "thread": You want me to obviousize, tsuwm? ~ asp

Well if you won't, Annatypic, I will. In fact there are two major themes and one minor theme running through these definitions.

A) the hairlike boys............. five.
B) the military boys............. five.
C) the snake charmer boys... three.

And I am so happy that two of you have voted for my definition. ___

I, myself, will probably vote for the occam razor outside these groupings "M". But I'm still waiting to see what the big boys do.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/14/02 11:51 PM
Now I think they're all wrong. I would reveal my reasoning, but that wouldn't be very sporting, would it? One of them I'd hoped would the correct one, but then I spotted something in the definition that told me it was a fake. Drat. It would have been a great definition for a word well-needed.

So, I will side with simplicity, with the fact that I have no (i.e., zero) idea what the truth is here, and with the apparent thread that ran among many of the definitions. I cast my vote for:

O

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 03:20 AM
oh, what the hell: M

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 03:42 AM
Oh, what the hell: O...make that a Jazz-O!

Posted By: Bingley Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 03:45 AM
g

Bingley
Posted By: rkay Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 10:21 AM
well, g) gets my vote (but whoever came up with a) was inspired!)

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 10:48 AM
I'll back a G

Posted By: milum Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 11:05 AM
Although I know H is the sentimental (well about as sentimental as germans get) favorite, I can't wait any longer ( I still don't know what a sennight is) I gotta, I just gotta be the first to vote for D .

A word to the wise: Know your greek roots. -

Posted By: Faldage Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 11:08 AM
Do I get to vote? Fer sher.

Posted By: dxb Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 11:46 AM
f) sounds the right note.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 03:18 PM
How about Eeeeeeee (by gum!)

Posted By: musick Frilly cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 05:29 PM
N - Pardon me as I skirt my reasons for voting here.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/15/02 05:49 PM
I'll go with O.

Posted By: milum Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/16/02 11:36 AM
Wait Pigmaster! Don't close the polls! Fishryder hasn't voted yet. Or did he get mad and quit Hogwash and life in general because the last Hogwash game was rigged? _

Posted By: Wordwind Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/16/02 11:47 AM
Wasn't rigged. You jes' didn't get a single vote other than you own, milum. You shore know how to pout most pontificapoutedly.

That winner won fair 'n' square.

Who was the winner last time thereabouts?

Oh, yeah. I won it.

Bragging regards,
WordWinner

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/16/02 02:48 PM
because the last Hogwash game was rigged?

Hey, they was only usin' Alabama rules!...so what's wrong with that?

Posted By: milum Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/16/02 03:24 PM
Hey, they was only usin' Alabama rules!...so what's wrong with that? ~ WO'N

Not true, Carpetbagger, in Alabama Hogwash the Game is banned. It flies in the face of all that we hold dear.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/16/02 04:19 PM
I read a book about code breaking recently, and I remember the author's talking about how the English broke a code because of the German operator's "cheating" by using repeatedly a setting that should have been changed more often, and I don;t remember if it was cilli, but I'm still gonna vote H.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/17/02 04:00 PM
I think I have votes from everyone (of the entrants) except consuelo. not to place any undue pressure..

Posted By: milum Re: cilly (or cilli) defined - 11/17/02 04:36 PM
Don't wait on her tswum, Consuelo, of all people, knows our consuetude about the prompt return of all Hogwash votes.

consuetude (KON-swe-tyood) n. custom or convention.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Consuelo - 11/17/02 05:54 PM
Unless she can find a liberry or cyber-café, I suspect consuelo will be out of the endless loop for a few days.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Consuelo - 11/20/02 02:14 AM
well, I'm a gonna post the results tomorrow, as this thread has definitely gone code blue..

Posted By: milum Re: Consuelo - 11/21/02 11:13 AM
well, I'm a gonna post the results tomorrow, as this thread has definitely gone code blue.." ~ H-master a few days ago.

Screw, blue, tyrue. One monkey don't stop no show.

"This ain't no "Valley Girl Hogwash"
this is "The Hogwash That Went On Forever". We the erstwhile players of "Hogwash" have unalienable rights to expect a prompt and fair judgement of our lies and definitions. The only way this delay makes sense is that your "Valley Girl" is Consuelo's persona. Don't make me form a committee.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Consuelo - 11/21/02 02:40 PM
excuse me, I was too busy learning to count by ordinals yesterday [x-thread] to concern myse'f with obscure words.

you should try it; maybe then you could tell the difference between 'two days' and 'a few days'.

Posted By: milum Re: Consuelo - 11/21/02 03:19 PM
Is 'zat a NO!

dear tswum, you leave me no recourse...

I hereby withdraw my definition from this contest and hereby apologize to all those who saw fit to give me vote.

I will now retire and consider further action, but let this be known; I take affront and feel personally violated by the heavy-handed conduct of this Hogwash, it is the stuff of...worms!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Consuelo - 11/21/02 03:46 PM
I take affront and feel personally violated

Aw yer jes ticked cuz they spelt "hawg" wrong.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 04:54 PM
I'd suggest you conduct the next one, Milum, but I'm put in mind of my mama who always says "Be careful what you ask for!"

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 05:06 PM
Not just your Mama, AnnaS, but Emerson, too.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 06:57 PM
So is the next Hawgwarshing Alabammy bound?!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 07:28 PM
Alabammy bound?

Or either that or Alabammy Unbound, one.

Posted By: milum Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 07:30 PM
I was born to be a Hogmaster. For half my adult life, ten years or so, my dream has been to be a Hogmaster like tsuwm. But no more. I am disillusioned. The Hogmaster heros who once stood as tall as the Loblolly Pines now stand lower than the the mud under the mussel shells of Dolebury Creek. (Dolebury Creek ran through my Uncle Dan's farm near Holkes Bluff Alabama. I went there every summer when I was a kid. Boy did we have fun.) Now I find that I no longer have any interest in becoming a Hogmaster. Now I find I have no interest in anything at all. I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just wander around from town to town doing good deeds and try to help others like me who have been taken in by slick charlatans who stole their dreams and left them broken hearted. Yeah... Or maybe...

I'll find me a crack crooked trial lawyer and sue tsuwm for punitive damages and then I'll own the Hogwash copyright and then I'll change the spelling to Hawgwarsh (c.) and then I'll tell tsuwm and his suckleberry friends to take a hike. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 07:35 PM
tell tsuwm and his suckleberry friends to take a hike

I could use more exercise.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hawgwarsh - 11/21/02 09:12 PM
Alabammy Unbound, one.

Alabammy Unbound, two.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Consuelo - 11/21/02 09:22 PM
For the record, milum, how many votes did your definition receive this time--since you're throwin' 'em away and all?

Also, please notice that poor, poor tsuwm is patiently waiting for Consuelo's vote.

What's your beef? Or what are you porking about over anyway?

Consuelooooooooooooooo? Where arrrrrrrrrrrrre you?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hawgwarsh Standoff - 11/21/02 11:28 PM
milum and tsuwm

All right! Alabama vs. Minnesota...almost like First Manassas all over again!...or would that be Second Manassas?

Posted By: milum Re: Hawgwarsh Standoff - 11/22/02 12:27 AM
Well Whitty I ain't backing down. A few years back I was known as the best Alabama Ditch Wrestler in Blount County.

Ditch Wrestling, if you don't know, is a gentleman's sport and it ain't dishonest and dirty like Low Texas Pool or Hogwash. The rules are simple; as many as wants, good ole boys get into a smoothe red clay ditch and wrestle. The last one still in the ditch before sundown is the winner. I was always the last man in the ditch. Why if I, by mistake, lived in Minnesota, they would of made me governor.

But I don't like to brag, besides my ditch wrestling days are behind me. Today I indulge in intellectual pursuits. Hey tswum, wanna jump in an intellectual ditch and see who climbs out? Be warned I can name the captials of all fifty states except Alaska and Hawiai and I can spell better than you think.

Naw, forget my big talk. Truth is I'm a bit lonely down here with no one to talk with everyday but Andy, Hazzard, and Jimmy Jay, and I wanted a real honest-to-god wise-cracking yankee to talk with from time to time to keep me sharp when I have to go to Atlanta and trade. I hope my smart mouth will be forgiven by yall 'cause from now on I'm gonna sit back and just behave.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hawgwarsh Standoff - 11/22/02 12:31 AM
In reply to:

I hope my smart mouth will be forgiven by yall 'cause from now on I'm gonna sit back and just behave.

Shucks, milum, if you just behave, that'll be like wwh gone Puritan on us.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Hawgwarsh Standoff - 11/22/02 08:41 AM
Shucks, milum, if you just behave, that'll be like wwh gone Puritan on us.

Don't worry, dear dubs - our good friend milum has always, unfailingly, behaved. So his declaration will make absolutely no difference. He will carry on behaving.

Posted By: consuelo Here I am, it's me, c'est moi - 11/23/02 12:49 AM
Sorry for the delay, but I was out of town and just now got to this thread. I swear I haven't looked at any other threads in Wordplay, so I don't even know if the game is over or not. I guess the Is have it.

© Wordsmith.org